Hare-brained language learning schemes 2023

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Hare-brained language learning schemes 2023

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:59 pm

Remember all that stuff yesterday about learning a minimum number of languages and all the boo-hoo talk about not being drawn into wanderlust? Yes, well that was before I passed by the second-hand bookshop today, where there are always tricky goodies that can turn your head faster than une jeune femme rousse au vélo.

In 2021 I was still pursuing Swahili, at a pretty slow pace, but not badly. I did the first 50 lessons of Assimil and later on a school workbook I found written only in the TL. Then it went downhill. Mostly because I like working from paper texts where I don't have to be connected online or even switch on a device. After failing to get a (reasonably-priced) paper book/audio of any kind, Assimil, TY whatever, I was just annoyed. What I found today is not really that, but close and from the perspective of 'I just like it as a collector!' it's great. The original Teach Yourself Swahili with yellow and blue dust cover...and next to it the matching Swahili Dictionary. And would you Adam and Eve it, the same author's Jifunze Kiingereza (learn English...for Swahili speakers). What a little treasure trove.

After this disgraceful spectacle of retail therapy has subsided I wonder if I will actively pursue Swahili again? It doesn't have to be from those books, though the dictionary is always useful. Swahili is, like Norwegian, something I regret having had to lay aside. ...Damn language learning temptations! *waving fist*.
11 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:07 pm

Languages I've abandoned after a feeble attempt at learning include Mandarin, Russian, and Catalan. The ones I've bought books for and then not even touched are Norwegian and Polish.

Of those five I feel like I'll definitely try to take on Russian again some day.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:08 pm

tastyonions wrote:Of those five I feel like I'll definitely try to take on Russian again some day.

I have the original Russian TY and 'TY Russian through reading'. I used these a lot at the time. Then again I was a teenager with much energy and hope. :lol:
4 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:11 pm

I'll sometimes watch Easy Russian on YouTube just to try to recognize the few bits I retained from years ago plus the occasional French loan. Damn that language sounds awesome.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:01 pm

I've made a decision for when I restart learning next month. It is Swahili. I don't 'need' the language and plan no trips to East Africa for the foreseeable future. So this a deviation for me because for most of the time I've learned it has been out of necessity or because I had a definite plan to use it. I've done Swahili before, but it has lain dormant for some time and it is ragged and forgotten. So it is a project this time. With no exam deadline to aim for, no projected levels (though I hope to progress!)

I have the 30 lessons of Pimsleur Swahili (and the Language Transfer just in case). I have Swahili sans peine and also TY Swahili - old version coursebook and newer version with audio. I have some other text resources with instruction in the TL. I found an online multimedia course run by University of Georgia, I have lined-up YT audio and video I will require at least after month 1... but not to get carried away!

I will choose a book/audio method - either TY or Assimil and go from there, whilst using the Pimsleur for listening-learning on the move.

Let's see where this leads.
15 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:49 am

Do you have a timeframe in mind? Or is this simply until the next "jolie rousse au velo"?
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:39 pm

jeffers wrote:Do you have a timeframe in mind? Or is this simply until the next "jolie rousse au velo"?

Something like 4-6 months to build up and likely for the rest of the year. Je suis toujours prêt à me laisser distraire par une jolie rousse a vélo, mais je crois que je peut m'y tenir !
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:26 pm

Swahili
I can't say a great deal. I started Teach Yourself Swahili and that's basically all I've done. I was torn between starting that or 'Colloquial Swahili' so I just tossed a coin. Until I've really gone through this course I don't think I'll have anything particularly interesting or insightful to report.

Spanish
The only thing I did was watch some news and a bit of Spanish TV. I have no plan to start any books.

Dutch
ever since I started reading Ug_caveman's log and looking in on the Dutch study group posts I've very much revived my interest in Dutch as something beyond just a 'use language'. The very fact I have to use it all the time made it somewhat pedestrian to me. So I've been reading a lot more. Next to the bed I have a very easy reading book of Remco Campert's 'cursiefjes' bundled as Eetlezen. Very short and often amusing,. Perfect for reading at the end of the day.
Also on Friday I started watching an old VRT three-part series De Burgemeester van Veurne (adapted from Simenon's 'literary' novel Le Bourgmestre de Furnes). I've never read the book, so I didn't know the plot. It's rather unusual in some ways. Dutch drama of this vintage is neither as wordy nor as mumbly as the modern offerings.

French
I always exercise French, even when I claim to be letting it rest. I started a new novel Trois Hommes Seule - Christian Oster, from the sizeable pile of Editions de Minuit on the bottom plank of the bedroom bookcase. Some bought a long time ago, but only half-read or unread. Also a couple of films. Arte had a Jean-Pierre Mocky season a few weeks back and I got a couple of those to watch.

German
Only a copy of Stern yesterday in the public library newspaper reading room.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:41 pm

At the end of last week I was starting to think perhaps I made the wrong choice and at the wrong time. I've learned that desire and motivation don't always overlap as concepts. Swahili is not a 'wrong' choice, but the moment might be wrong. Or maybe the learning pattern hasn't yet settled into my brain.

I'm still going through the TY course, quite slowly and revising units, I'm only on lesson 5, but it's enjoyable enough. Also listening to Pimsleur Swahili on the move. I'm going to have to do an appraisal at the end of the month and if it feels like it's starting to work I'll go on, but if not I need another approach. Possibly Assimil.

Anyone else gone through Assimil Swahili with success? Mike?
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 pm

I'm curious, why do you suspect Assimil might be a better approach than TY? (I've never gone through a whole TY course myself, just asking out of interest.)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”