Amanda's 2023 Log: Mostly French, Some German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Re: Amanda's 2023 Log: Mostly French, Some Spanish and Esperanto

Postby jackb » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:03 pm

One of the best things I've found is Les 100 lieux qu'il faut voir. It goes to different parts of France where the guide is a different "l'enfant du pays". They have interesting accents and speak like normal people (aka hard to understand). There's also a narrator thats much easier to understand. They alternate so you have time to process and recover. It's a nice mix. Some of the videos are 50 minutes and some a half that.

After a bunch of those, TV was much less daunting.
7 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 13#p235313

Postby philomath » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:04 pm

This is random, but The New Yorker released a documentary recently which features Louisiana French. It sounds pretty cool!

3 x

philomath
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Intermediate/Advanced), French (Intermediate/Advanced), German (Beginner)

Postby philomath » Mon May 01, 2023 3:40 am

28Apr23–30Apr23

French
28Apr23: I listened to an episode of Amies and an episode of Transfert.

29Apr23: I didn't book any French lessons for this weekend, so instead I recorded myself speaking for a half hour. I learned some new words, but it wasn't as satisfying as having an iTalki lesson.

30Apr23: I did a couple of pages in Édito and wrote 91 words. I don't think Édito is working for me. I just don't have the patience to go through a bunch of random exercises! It's more interesting to read articles and write responses to them.

Writing
29Apr23: Last week I accomplished my goal of opening Scrivener every day. It did get me to think about writing more often, but I still didn't get much writing done. For one thing, I was tired after work, and also, I couldn't decide what to work on. Eventually I decided to limit myself to three projects: doing the exercises in Character, Emotion & Viewpoint, re-outlining my sci-fi novel, and writing the second draft of a short story I've been working on. Today I spent a couple of hours working on my sci-fi novel. I ended up getting really stuck, so I decided to ask ChatGPT. It was actually really helpful! ChatGPT didn't have any original ideas, unsurprisingly, but I got some ideas of my own from our "conversation". At the end of the writing session, I felt hopeful about my novel again.

I'm still stuck on my short story though. I think I need to read more short stories. Next month, I might set myself a goal to read more short stories. Also, I signed up for a writing class that will start in June!
4 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Mon May 01, 2023 3:43 am

Goals for May 2023

I've decided to try setting goals again, since I've fallen pretty far behind on the Super Challenge and the Output Challenge.

French
: 255 / 720 Do 12 hours of listening.
: 72 / 330 Do 5.5 hours of speaking. (Plan: Aim for ~22 minutes every other day.)
: 0 / 142 Finish reading Claudine à l'école (142 pages left).
: 185 / 185 Read Chéri.
: 792 / 6000 Write 6000 words.

Esperanto
: 0 / 4 Review Chapters 7–10.

Writing
: 1 / 10 Read 10 short stories.
: 0 / 1 Re-outline sci-fi novel.
Last edited by philomath on Sun May 21, 2023 3:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
6 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon May 01, 2023 5:32 am

philomath wrote:Writing
: 0 / 10 Read 10 short stories.
: 0 / 1 Re-outline sci-fi novel.
There's a French sci-fi festival called "utopiales" that produces short story collections.
LES ANTHOLOGIES OFFICIELLES DU FESTIVAL

Depuis la création du festival, une anthologie officielle, composée de nouvelles inédites d’auteur·rice·s français·e·s et internationaux·ales invité·e·s aux Utopiales, est éditée à chaque édition. Depuis 2018, paraît également, à chaque édition, une anthologie jeunesse composée de nouvelles inédites d’auteur·rice·s jeunesse invité·e·s au festival ainsi que les nouvelles lauréates du concours de nouvelles de l’année précédente.

https://www.utopiales.org/festival-inte ... t-science/

https://www.editions-actusf.fr/articles ... =utopiales
2 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Mon May 08, 2023 2:56 am

01May23–07May23

French
Listening: I listened to InnerFrench and Transfert during my commute. I also watched an episode of The Ultimatum: France without subtitles.

Speaking: I practiced speaking for a total of 42 minutes throughout the week, and today I had a 1-hour iTalki lesson with Marylène. We discussed mini golf and AI.

Reading: I continued reading Chéri. It's a little too difficult for me, so I started reading the English translation as well. I read several pages in English, and then I read the same section in French.

Writing: I wrote 792 words.

Writing
I read the short story "What Can You Do with a General" by Emma Cline. I also spent some time brainstorming the next draft of my sci-fi novel. The plot is coming together, which is very exciting!
4 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 pm

08May23–14May23

No updates for this week. I got caught up in a side project at work (trying to tune some PID controllers), and I didn't feel like doing anything after work. This weekend I'm enjoying the weather and getting a garden started!
7 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Postby philomath » Sun May 21, 2023 10:26 pm

15May23–21May23

French
I finished reading Chéri! It was good, but my reading level definitely isn't good enough to appreciate Colette's writing style. Unfortunately I didn't finish it in time to attend the in-person discussion at the Alliance Française. :(

Writing
I continued brainstorming ideas for the next draft of my sci-fi novel. I'm excited about what I've come up with so far! Compared to the previous draft, I’ve changed an important detail about the main character’s past and come up with different antagonists. I think the plot will make a lot more sense. The next step is to start filling in a new outline.

Thoughts
I've been feeling very unmotivated lately. Part of the reason is that the Super Challenge and Output Challenge are stressing me out! I'm tired of tracking every minute of speaking practice and working on so many different goals at the same time. I decided to delete my goals for the year, which were listed at the beginning of this log. I'm still going to learn French of course, but not with any challenges in mind. I need a little break to regain my motivation.

I also think I’m going to pause Esperanto indefinitely. I enjoyed studying it, but I don’t have time for it right now. Especially because I have another project: German. My boyfriend and I just booked a trip to Berlin in August, and I’d like to learn a little bit before we go. I’m planning to start with Pimsleur.
10 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Amanda's 2023 Log: Mostly French, Some German

Postby tastyonions » Sun May 21, 2023 10:52 pm

Viel Spaß beim Deutschlernen!
1 x

philomath
Blue Belt

Re: Amanda's 2023 Log: Mostly French, Some German

Postby philomath » Wed May 24, 2023 4:09 am

22May23–23May23

French
Lately I've been wanting to review French grammar. I might follow Marylène's advice and go through Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar. Whenever I review a grammar book, I like to start at the beginning. Then I get bored because the beginning is always about something tedious like definite articles or noun gender, and I never get to the later chapters which I actually need to review. When I go through this book, I'll start with the subject I need to review the most!

I also listened to an episode of Transfert and resumed reading Claudine à l'école. It's much easier to read than Chéri, but it's still taking me a while.

German
I said I would start with Pimsleur, but I actually started with Mango Languages. So far, I've done Lessons 1–6. The lessons are very short, so it's tempting to do a bunch of them at once, but I'm trying to pace myself. I also did Pimsleur Lesson 1. I remember a lot from when I studied German last year, although I don't remember the noun declensions. Also, I feel more relaxed about my pronunciation this time around. :)

So far, I'm taking notes in my German notebook, but I haven't made any Anki cards. I'm planning to review my notebook once in a while and make cards for the words that I forgot. That should help prevent me from going overboard with Anki like I did for Esperanto. :)

Writing
On Monday I went to a writing meetup, where I worked on my sci-fi novel for 1 hour. I wrote 700 words summarizing the plot from the beginning of the novel to around the 25% mark. So far, I'm still feeling really good about the next draft!
6 x

Return to “Language logs”