Louisianne's 2023 language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
louisianne
White Belt
Languages: Spanish and French, Catalan (Native), English (Fluent), German (B1), Arabic (B2), Russian (A2), Hebrew (A2), Persian (A2), Norwegian and Swedish (A1)

Louisianne's 2023 language log

Postby louisianne » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:48 pm

So, this is my new language log for 2023. I have been learning languages for a while now, but the mostly in my free time I focuse on Arabic (B2), usually doing a lot of listening in order to maintain the level. Currently, my main goal is to improve Persian (A2), but my level doesn't allow me to do many things, as I still need translation for almost everything.

Other languages that I am usually learning are Hebrew (A2), Russian (A2-B1), and German (B1). And ocasionally I happen to study or review other languages as well, depending on my wanderlusting.

This year I have signed for the 30 minutes challenge of learning every day, and for the Output challenge, both for Persian. I would like to get to a B2 level, but maybe I am being too optimistic. I would also like to write more (in every language), as this is is my weak point (also in English, as you probably have noticed), because I cannot "camouflage" my mistakes when I write.

My intention is to keep this log as an everyday journal, in which I could state my language learning activity of everyday, and so keep track of the time I spend in it and of the activities that I do.
15 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Louisianne's 2023 language log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:35 am

Welcome to the LLORG forum, Louisianne. Good luck with your language goals!
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

louisianne
White Belt
Languages: Spanish and French, Catalan (Native), English (Fluent), German (B1), Arabic (B2), Russian (A2), Hebrew (A2), Persian (A2), Norwegian and Swedish (A1)

Postby louisianne » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:07 am

Thanks! :)

So what I did the last day of 2022, related to languages, was:

- 1 h lesson of classical Arabic, and afterwards

- Some vocabulary in Persian related to "improvement". To try to remember these words and use them, I then read an article in Persian about how to improve our level of English, and wrote down some useful vocabulary and expressions. I think that I spent about 45 minutes doing that.
3 x

louisianne
White Belt

Postby louisianne » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:15 am

Because of family gathering, I hadn't many time left for reviewing languages. Though I still could find some time for Persian.

So I found a very appropriate article for the time being چگونه در طول تعطیلات از دست خانواده سمع خود در امان بمانیم؟ :) and I noted down the new vocabulary.
This took approximately 1h.

I was planning to use the vocabulary to write something on my own, but didn't have time/was not inspired enough. And I should motivate myself because as I take part in the Output challenge, I should start to write and make recordings soon.

I also listened to a video in Dari for 30 minutes.
4 x

louisianne
White Belt

Postby louisianne » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 pm

So, yesterday I though I wouldn't have enough time, but finally I could do quite a number of activities language related:

Arabic: A 30 mn speaking lesson.

English: I watched the mini-series of The Witcher (the new one, I can't remember the title now).

Persian: I recorded myself, 10 minutes speaking in Persian and trying to explain the plot of The Witcher, which was very complicated BTW :roll:
Plus refreshing some vocabulary about visiting (places, people, the doctor). About 20 minutes.
And listening to a video in Dari (10 minutes).

Turkish: I am not learning Turkish, but as I am watching the second season of The Gift, I sometimes catch words that are similar to Arabic or Persian, and I am also beginning to understand some Turkish words as well, like "biliyorum" or "anne".
5 x

louisianne
White Belt

Postby louisianne » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Some days have already passed, and my language activities have shifted a little :)

Hebrew: I started watching a series on Youtube and somewhat that triggered again my interest. So now I am all day long thinking about how to say things in Hebrew, listening to videos and songs, and reviewing vocabulary. I even booked a lesson, and I could speak well (for my level) for about 30 minutes.

I would like to reach a B2 level, and I would like to pass an exam of the language, because this would fix a goal for my studies. I don't know though, if there is some recognised language exam of Hebrew available.

Arabic: I usually listen to podcasts or watch videos in Arabic everyday, so it's like a routine for me.

Farsi: As now I am focusing on other things, I only had time to watch a video in Dari.
8 x

louisianne
White Belt

Postby louisianne » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:10 am

For the last two weeks I have been focusing mostly on Hebrew. I am watching a 30 minutes series "מדרסה" (with bilingual subtitles). And I am also listening to an intermediate level Podcast in Hebrew ("Hebrew time").

I have also tried to read some short articles, but it's definitely more complicated as I am not used to the letters and keep confusing them :roll:

I am also regularly taking lessons, so I hope that my speaking will somehow improve, though obviously not in the short term.

I have also watched some videos in Arabic on YouTube, and listened to songs of Hamza Namira with the lyrics (Egyptian Arabic), and took a 30 minutes speaking lesson.
8 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:21 pm

louisianne wrote:And I am also listening to an intermediate level Podcast in Hebrew ("Hebrew time").

תודה רבה לך על הפודקסט הזה! זה בדיוק משאני חפסתי כדי להתקודם עם ההקשבה שלי בעברית.
1 x
corrections are welcome

louisianne
White Belt

Postby louisianne » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:56 am

Yesterday I was mostly watching videos in Arabic and also reading some tweets. I think my reading skills are improving because I have now more vocabulary related to news.

I've been also considering to start learning Irish, and so far I've watched some videos about pronunciation and about conjugating verbs. But I don't really have an idea about how to proceed or if this is going to last or it's just a "wanderlust".

I also watched the news in Hebrew and I am trying not to forget vocabulary.

Also yesterday, I listened to a couple of videos in Russian about Baikal lake.

Plus, I suddenly felt the necessity of going back to my Hawaiian learning.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”