Arabic adventure with short bursts of Polish and Ukrainian

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Russian (C1)
French, German, Spanish (B2)
Arabic (MSA), Hebrew, Polish, Ukrainian (beginner)

Arabic adventure with short bursts of Polish and Ukrainian

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi guys,

Been reading people's logs on here for a couple of months and it seems that the accountability that keeping a log gives may just help me push through the very painful progress of being a beginner in Arabic (MSA). As such French, German, Spanish and Russian will probably be on the backburner for a while, though I do intend to try to maintain the levels I'm currently at (especially Russian as it took me a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to C1 level and pass the ТРКи 3 exam in Moscow, so definitely don't want it to go to waste). I will continue to do this by watching films, reading books (the goal is to read 1 foreign language book a month and 1 English, so will alternate the languages - ideally I will have read 4 books per language by the end of the year) and having conservations with native speakers.

Arabic

This is without doubt the hardest language I've ever tried to tackle (and I have dabbled in Mandarin, Polish and Hebrew). I really need to just focus on getting the basics down but I find myself keep wandering to the infinitely easier (Thank you, Russian!) Polish and Ukrainian. I also keep wandering to Hebrew (which I also previously thought would be a good idea to study alongside Arabic. As you can imagine that was an awful idea). Hebrew just seems easier to me as a beginner. And yet...Arabic is my heritage language and I do belly dance as a hobby so it is immensely more useful for my life.

Once aspect I am having a particularly difficult with in terms of Arabic is simply finding decent resources for MSA. A lot of resources seem to be for Egyptian, Syrian or Moroccan...or even worse mix up dialects/MSA without warning (looking at you Arabicpod101 :roll: )

My main goal for 2023 is to make strides towards being a solid A1 by the end of the year.
Currently i am doing the Pimsleur Arabic course, which is definitely beginning to help me simply get started but it is quite slow. So, I am planning to speed through the remaining two levels over January. After that, I will start on my Mastering Arabic books and possibly use the copy of TY complete Arabic I have.

My short term goal is therefore:

~ Finish Pimsleur Arabic by February
~ Mastering Arabic 1 finished by April (possibly mixing in parts of TY for consolidation)

In terms of time spent daily with Arabic, given the difficulty of the language for a native English speaker, my goal is to spend an hour a day in contact with the language (not counting music as I already listen to Arabic music daily for dance class, and it clearly is not contributing to the language input process). I will, however, give myself a rest day per week.

Finally for Arabic, I am going to give myself the goal of writing something in Arabic once a week. Simply to help solidify the alphabet in my brain as it is still very very slow going on both reading and writing in Arabic. This written piece I will then submit to Hellotalk weekly for corrections.

Hebrew, Polish and Ukrainian

Hebrew needs to be paused, as sad as that is, until I have some foundation in Arabic.

Polish - I am allowing myself to dabble in a little but I must not allow it to take over my focus in place of Arabic. Maybe towards the end of the year I may consider dedicating some more time to do it.

Ukrainian - This language just kinda crept up on me, but I love it! :D I am into traditional Cossack songs and what are considered traditional songs in Russia and quite a few of them are actually in Ukrainian. So, I wanna learn a bit of the language to be able to understand what the song is about and sometimes sing along. Ukrainian isn't really taxing to learn as I already know Russian and have a smattering of Polish. The problem is I want to pick up both Polish and Ukrainian at the same time, so I need to be careful not to start mixing them up. No real goals for Ukrainian therefore, except to just dabble and see where it goes :)

Think that is it for now...I am hoping to update weekly on how learning has been going. I will keep a record of time spent with each language over the week and then post all in one go as I don't have time to keep a daily log. :)
17 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Arabic adventure with short bursts of Polish and Ukrainian

Postby cjareck » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:51 am

Arabic is also my goal for 2023 :) As for resources for MSA, there are some interesting ones:
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/DLI/DLI- ... neral.html - DLI courses for American military personnel, but not that much concentrated on military topics.
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/FSI/fsi- ... rabic.html - FSI - for American diplomats
https://hs2.dliflc.edu/msa.html - modern interactive course of MSA (first part is language learning in the second one you have the military-specific vocabulary, that you can skip)
5 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:10 pm

cjareck wrote:Arabic is also my goal for 2023 :) As for resources for MSA, there are some interesting ones:
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/DLI/DLI- ... neral.html - DLI courses for American military personnel, but not that much concentrated on military topics.
https://www.yojik.eu/languages/FSI/fsi- ... rabic.html - FSI - for American diplomats
https://hs2.dliflc.edu/msa.html - modern interactive course of MSA (first part is language learning in the second one you have the military-specific vocabulary, that you can skip)

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I will definitely take a look :)
Good luck with your Arabic goal this year then! Are you also starting out with MSA?
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 pm

Pushistaya_Lisa wrote:Thanks so much for the suggestions, I will definitely take a look :)

I hope that you will find them helpful!

Pushistaya_Lisa wrote:Good luck with your Arabic goal this year then! Are you also starting out with MSA?

I have been learning MSA for quite a long time but never gave it a priority. That has now changed ;)
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:08 pm

1st January to 7th January

Languages in maintenance

French

Watched episode 1 and two of Ils étaient dix
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes

German

Watched episode 1 of Das Geheimnis des Totenwaldes
Total time: 1 hour 29 minutes

Russian

Finished episode 1 and started episode two of Дудочка крысолова
Total time: 1 hour

Spanish

Started episode 1 of 14 de Abril, la república
Total time: 20 minutes

Language focus

Arabic

Lessons 26 - 30 of Pimsleur MSA level 1
Lessons 1 - 8 of Pimsleur MSA level 2
Total time: 6 hours 30 minutes

Dabbling

Polish

Lessons 24 and 25 of Pimsleur

Ukrainian

I didn't study any Ukrainian this week. I only listened to some songs in Ukrainian and downloaded the Teach Yourself Ukrainian book that is currently being offered for free by TY. Hoping to get started with the first chapter of that book at some point this month (after I've finished all of the Pimsleur course).
4 x

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:24 pm

8th January to 14th January

Languages in maintenance

French

Watched half of episode 3 of Ils étaient dix
Total time: 22 minutes

German

Watched episode 2 and half of episode 3 of Das Geheimnis des Totenwaldes
Total time: 2 hours 12 minutes

Russian

Spoke via Skype to Russian friend for 40 minutes
Chatted to Russian speaking penpals online

Spanish

Listened to 3 episodes of Notes in Spanish podcast
Total time: 33 minutes

Language focus

Arabic

Lessons 9 - 23 of Pimsleur MSA level 2
Total time: 7 hours 30 minutes

Dabbling

Polish

Lesson 26 of Pimsleur
30 minutes of watching Peppa pig episodes

Ukrainian

Watched Peppa pig episodes
Total time: 15 minutes
6 x

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

15th January to 21st January

Not been a great week due to personal circumstances so most hobbies were put on the back burner. However, I did try to push myself to keep up with language learning goals if nothing else. Not achieved as much as I'd have liked to (particularly in Arabic) but fingers crossed this next week will be better :ugeek:

Languages in maintenance

French

Watched rest of episode 3 of Ils étaient dix
Watched episodes 4 and 5

I am really enjoying this show actually. It's based on an Agatha Christie book (which I generally didn't think was my thing) and this show has really gripped me. It's been really hard not to binge-watch the whole thing in one sitting (which I tend to do with shows). Quite sad actually that there's only one episode left :)
Total time: 2 hours 8 minutes

German

Finished episode 3 of Das Geheimnis des Totenwaldes

Generally I enjoyed this show and it is based on real events, so it was quite interesting from that perspective. However, the end was a bit of a let-down.

Russian

I seem to be doing myself a great disservice when it comes to logging how much I use Russian as I basically use it everyday. And yet my brain has got so used to using Russian daily (to be expected after living in Moscow for 5 years) that my brain no longer distinguishes if something is in Russian or English. I chat daily in Russian, watch Russian reels and read Russian posts on Instagram. Not to mention I take online courses for yoga/dance in Russian. With this in mind, the amount of time I put into using Russian is much greater than I'm logging :lol: Going forward I need to keep this in mind so that I can more accurately count how much time I dedicate to Russian passively.

Finished second half of episode 2 of Дудочка крысолова
Watched the whole of episode 3

Not gonna lie this show is really a bit strange. Intrigued to see how it ends :lol:

Spanish

Read news articles on El mundo site
Total time: 33 minutes

Language focus

Arabic

Lessons 24 - 30 of Pimsleur MSA level 2
Lessons 1 - 3 of Pimsleur MSA level 3

Really starting to find Pimsleur a bit of a slog now. Can't wait to be done with it and also starting to question the usefulness of some words being taught to me.
Total time: 5 hours

Dabbling

Polish

Lesson 27 of Pimsleur
5 minutes of watching Peppa pig episode
Total time: 35 hour

Ukrainian

Listened to episode 2 of learning Ukrainian podcast
8 x

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:31 pm

22nd January to 28th January

This week was not great either due to issues that affected last week as well. I feel I have accomplished slightly more this week though :)

Languages in maintenance

French

Watched episode 6 of Ils étaient dix

This was the last episode and all I can say is I loved this show! Need to see if I can find something similar to this to watch. However, the French certainly know how to make good shows, so I've already got a long list of other shows to get through before I start adding yet more things to it :)

Total time: 56 minutes

German

Started reading the Der Tätowierer von Auschwitz while listening to the audiobook at the same time. Every page I stop and read through it myself, just to get back into the habit of reading in German aloud. I will then look up any unknown phrases after. Unfortunately I kept getting interrupted while I sat to do this task, so this week German got neglected. Next week I need to make sure I am doing this task towards the start of the week so that I can be sure it gets done.

In my first post I did say that the goal is to read one book a month in one of my maintenance languages. While one a month is the ideal, I'm not too upset if I skip a month and end up doing two in one month instead. As long as I've done 12 by the end of the year, I will be happy.

Russian

So, despite what I said last week about making sure that I log the time spent on all the daily bits of Russian I do, I did not do that. This week has had quite a lot of disruptions to my daily routines, so I'm hoping next week will go back to normal. With the new month starting, I am going to try to push myself to start making a habit of jotting down the daily bits of Russian I do for the whole of February.

Listened to a podcast of Кто мог бы подумать?
Watched episode 4 of Дудочка крысолова

I have now finished this show and I don't think I will be recommending it anytime soon. I definitely would not have watched it if it were not merely for the sake of practising my Russian listening skills.
To be frank, good quality Russian shows are few and far between. This is not the first bizarre Russian show/film that I've watched.
Having said that, I need to keep ploughing on. I noticed that the richness of language used in Russian made shows/films is quite stark compared to Russian dubbed shows on Netflix. This is why I guess I need to just embrace the weirdness that is Russian media :lol: I will, however, go back to Russian dubbed shows on Netflix on occasion - just for the sake of my sanity :D

Spanish

Watched Emperor's New Grove in Latin American Spanish

This week has been a bit of an eye-opener in terms of how I feel about the language. I had a long hard think about why this past month Spanish has been the last language I have turned my attention to (and the whole of last year I pretty much neglected Spanish). I realised I don't enjoy it because I am forcing myself to focus on Spain Spanish when I don't like it. So, I decided that it's time to be honest with myself and follow what my heart is saying: switch to Latin American Spanish. I can honestly say I feel like I have a new burst of motivation towards Spanish, now that I have finally accepted that it is okay to prefer Latin American Spanish.
In the UK at school and university (at least this was my experience), Spain Spanish is heavily pushed as being the 'right Spanish' that you have to learn. So for the longest time I have been trying to force myself to learn an accent of Spanish I don't actually like. I have lived in Spain for 1.5 years and I really like the country, I just don't like the sound of Castillian Spanish and the ceceo going on (probably explains why I was drawn to Southern Spain more while I was there).
After all of that, I can finally pursue what I've always wanted, which is to delve into Mexican Spanish content. The Mexican accent is by far my favourite (though I know lots of Spanish speaking natives mock it because it sounds comical to them - to each their own I guess. Most of the Spanish speaking natives I met claim the Argentinian accent is the most beautiful but personally I cannot stand listening it :lol:)
I am so excited to be able to just enjoy listening to Spanish this next month! The musicality of the Mexican accents lifts my spirits whenever I hear it :D

Total time: 1 hour 12 minutes

Language focus

Arabic

Lessons 4 - 20 of Pimsleur MSA level 3

Doing Pimsleur now feels like a real chore. Just need to make the final push to get through the remaining 10 lessons by Wednesday.
I am hoping February is going to be a much more pleasant experience for me with Arabic as I will have more variety of resources. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed Pimsleur but after almost 2 months of it, I feel I need a break from it :)

Total time: 8 hours 30 minutes

Dabbling

Polish

Lesson 28 of Pimsleur

Total time: 30 minutes

Ukrainian

Listened to 2 episodes of learning Ukrainian podcast

Total time: 30 minutes
Last edited by Pushistaya_Lisa on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:15 pm

Pushistaya_Lisa wrote:After all of that, I can finally pursue what I've always wanted, which is to delve into Mexican Spanish content. The Mexican accent is by far my favourite (though I know lots of Spanish speaking natives mock it because it sounds comical to them - to each their own I guess. Most of the Spanish speaking natives I met claim the Argentinian accent is the most beautiful but personally I cannot stand listening it :lol:)
I am so excited to be able to just enjoy listening to Spanish this next month! The musicality of the Mexican accents lifts my spirits whenever I hear it :D

The very first Spanish material I used was Teach Yourself Latin American Spanish. Not consciously, I just had that physical book and audio before I got to anything else. Also at the time I was knocking around with some people from Chile and one from Mexico. Now I overwhelmingly meet only people from Spain, though they never say anything about pronunciation. Though it's probably so bad they don't notice anyway. :lol:
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Russian (C1)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:44 pm

29th January to 4th February

Languages in maintenance

French

Watched episodes 1 to 4 of Au-delà des apparences

Total time: 3 hours 11 minutes

German

Listened (to audiobook version) and read along up to page 15 of Der Tätowierer von Auschwitz.Then practised reading through those pages out loud

Russian

Watched episode 1 of Stay close dubbed in Russian
Social media and laddering Arabic course through Russian (1 hour 30 minutes)

Total time: 2 hours 23 minutes

Spanish

Watched Episodes 1 to 7 of Pálpito

Total time: 4 hours 53 minutes

Language focus

Arabic

Lessons 21-30 of Pimsleur MSA level 3
1 hour of Busuu course
Reviewed grammar points on online course I took for Russian speakers

Total time: 6 hours 40 minutes

Dabbling

Polish