Crawling to a brutal JLPT beating in December 2023

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Crawling to a brutal JLPT beating in December 2023

Postby golyplot » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:03 am

lavengro wrote:Assuming I can through enough additional listening exercises on top, I am hopeful that this will be sufficient for N4 rather than just N5, but I guess I will have to make that call in August.

Judging by the practice JLPT tests, WK is sufficient for the kanji knowledge questions on the JLPT. However, that is only a fraction of even the vocab section. The vocab section also tests knowledge of the nuances of meaning of different words, which WK basically won't help at all with.
0 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:48 am

lavengro wrote:
kelvin921019 wrote:Good luck to your JLPT!

I am not particularly familiar with resources written in English. I used Genki 1+2 and Sou matome series for N4 prep and they are pretty comprenhensive for that level.

Thanks Kelvin!

I had not heard of the Sou matome series before, will keep it in mind. My current plan is to plough through the first 23 levels of Wanikani including vocabulary items (projected to cover 98% of the anticipated kanji items on N4), Pimsleur (hoping to get through the first three of five levels), Genki 1 + 2 and about half of Mango Japanese (scheduled out a path for the first 324 of 651 units, to the end of unit 3 - of a total of 5 - by the end of October. Leaving November for working through practice tests and for comprehensive review.

Assuming I can through enough additional listening exercises on top, I am hopeful that this will be sufficient for N4 rather than just N5, but I guess I will have to make that call in August.

Judging from my experience, Genki 1+2 would cover quite some N4 vocabulary, but it would be better to work on, on top of that, exam prep books (like sou matome / shin kanzen master) to fill in the gaps in Kanji (which I am definitely not in the position to judge), tango (vocabulary), and grammatical item usually encountered in N4 level

You can also try the official sample question here (this is like one-tenth of the official exam, so it's a rough estimate on your progress)
https://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/forlearners.html
You can also find 2 full official sample exam in the site (you don't need to buy the book form since they're the same thing), which will be useful for checking your progress.

(Note: there's no official syllabus / vocab list / grammatical items, but exam prep books contain items usually come up in exam)
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:36 pm

Thanks for the comments Kelvin and golyplot. I have now added a JLPT N5 vocabulary Memrise deck into the study mix.

Watched a few episodes of Stay Tuned! – a really fun TV show about a small Japanese TV news station located on the northern island of Hokkaido (more on Hokkaido in a subsequent post) and Hanako Yukimaru, a trainwreck of a newbie employee who lacks in calmness but who appears to learn quickly how to forearm-block being hit in the head by angry paper fan wielding superiors. I could not find a trailer, but attached is a link to an episode from The Japan Shop dissecting for learning purposes the language used in a scene from one of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5frBICsbQ&list=PLJNhDugUSaWfdw5N2IIBNIVswRd0bmVkS

This led me to some Youtube clips regarding Japanese broadcasts and the following two clips, both featuring the same person on different occasions demonstrating a remarkable change of presentation from frivolous chatter (and “pollen robots”) to crisis reporting on a dime, as if a light switch were thrown.

Last edited by lavengro on Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:37 pm

Comprehensive yet virtual Japanese visit: Prefecture #1 - Hokkaido

Pretend flew from Vancouver to the northern-most Japanese prefecture, the island of Hokkaido (and boy are my arms pretend tired).

Picked up some omiyage (small presents travellers are expected to bring for hosts, family, co-workers, helpful forum members) at the New Chitose Airport (chi-TOE-seh) airport terminal (I bet if I had been there, I would have been overwhelmed by the shopping opportunities) and then took a mental bullet train into the city of Sapporo: when in doubt when traveling in a strange land, it is always safe to head anywhere a beer is named after.

Did some imaginary poking around there, including a leisurely stroll through Maruyama Park

And a quick looky-loo at the Shikotsu-Toya National Park

Then a quick dash west to the coastal town of Otaru, and a bit of a stroll along the canals

Tried pretend-speaking with some make-believe locals and unfortunately could not understand a word. Either because I do not actually understand the Japanese language, or more likely, they were Hokkaido Ainu speakers instead of Japanese speakers.

All in all, a reasonably successful start to my fictitious Japanese travels.
8 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:45 pm

Still struggling away. Struggling particularly with following oral Japanese, even if I have already learned and practiced the words: with Pimsleur, I can follow and learn from the lessons, but when they are all put in a blender on high speed for the initial and concluding conversations, it is difficult processing that quickly.

Found this website, which is very helpful for me: http://hukumusume.com/douwa/English/index.html. A handful of simple short passages in kana with no kanji and an English equivalent, with audio.

I learned Vancouver will be hosting JLPT testing in July and thought of trying N5 then, but then circulated back to my second sentence above: epic struggles with oral Japanese, on the scale of Beowulf beating up Grendel"s mom - except unlike me, he was (spoiler alert) successful. For that reason, and anticipated heavy work obligations, probably not.
Last edited by lavengro on Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:50 pm

Prefecture #2 – Aomori

The northernmost prefecture on Honshu (Japan’s main island), with the Sea of Japan to its west and the Pacific Ocean to its east.
Started with a visit to the Sannai Maruyama Archaeological Site – recreation of some structures from the early (13,000 to 300 BC) Jomon Period. This is a photo I think of an early condominium complex in the background and in the foreground, apparently the world’s largest yet sparsest tree fort.

Then a quick pitstop at the Hirosaki Castle.

Toward the end of this pretend day, it was time for a bath at the Aoni Onsen (“onsen” being a hot springs bathing opportunity) and a pretend overnight at the Lamp no Yado inn - no electricity and no cell service, so kinda like living in the Joman period. Imaginary dinner by gaslight – it probably would have been tasty. Could stay only one imaginary night, 'cause of TV withdrawal symptoms.

I have read that onsen baths often will not allow in bathers who have visible tattoos. Not an issue for me, because either
(a) I have no tattoos
(b) I have one tattoo – a tiny Winnie-the-Pooh tattoo – but it is entirely covered by my bathing suit, or
(c) I am replete with neck-to-ankle tattoos which detail the troubling history of my extensive involvement with the yakuza, but since I am in reality sitting on my couch in Vancouver, no one but the cats can see the artwork (and they tend to be indifferent rather than judgmental about non-mouse things).

I regret that I pretended to be in Aomori prefecture in March rather than imaginary visiting in August, as I missed the summer Nebuta Matsuri festival. There is a depiction of some of the floats in that festival starting at 4:40 of the attached Youtube clip from the Abroad in Japan guy, forcing the usually fairly sardonic fellow behind that youtube series to exclaim that they were “pretty bloody impressive.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUtxQs_fsIA

Also in that clip toward the latter half is a visit to a different onsen in the Aomori prefecture in an outdoor setting. Very lovely, but honestly I have been spoiled forever by my visit years ago to the Bláa Lónið (Blue Lagoon) in Iceland, truly one of the most remarkable outdoor soaks I have ever had).

All in all, a reasonably successful fabricated trip to the Aomori prefecture.
6 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 pm

Have to put Japanese mostly on hold and interrupt my prefectures tour till mid-April - oppressive work commmitments over the next three weeks, followed by a two week vacation first half of April during which I won't have much time to myself.

I have decided nonetheless to apply to JLPT N5 testing in early July in Edmonton. Edmonton is a short plane ride (or a spectatular twelve hour drive) from Vancouver. I am not convinced I will be ready but signing up may be motivating and the non-refundable exam fee would be a modest price to pay for the motivation.
7 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:32 pm

I am now registered to take the N5 JLPT in Edmonton, at the Prince Takamado Japan Centre at the University of Alberta on July 2nd. So, as the kids say, this sh!t just got real!!

I was almost entirely away from studying over the last few weeks, though I started listening to the 8.5 hour Michel Thomas Method Japanese Foundation course (my first Michel Thomas product not actually involving Michel Thomas) on the plane. Enjoying it more than I thought I might have.

I gave Bunpro a try in mid-March, signing up for a free month trial at first, and then having now signed up for a year paid subscription. I had briefly tried it in the past and did not care for it back then (I think because I could not figure out how to use it), but I am loving it now, it is proving to be a real game changer for me. I am working principally through the N5 vocabulary deck (1100 vocabulary items), the Genki 1 path as well as a separate but seemingly roughly parallel N5 grammar deck (126 grammar items) on a belt-and-suspenders approach for review and in case there are N5 grammar items not covered in the Genki 1 deck.

I have mapped out a daily study path to work through and complete by the end of June all of this Bunpro material, the Genki 1 textbook, both Level 1 and 2 of Pimsleur Japanese and completing up to Level 12 of Wanikani, and trying to fit in listening exercises and a mock test or two closer to exam date. I figure that will easily eat up about 107% of my free time until July 2nd, so the Prefecture Hallucination Tour is on continuing hold.
Last edited by lavengro on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:34 pm

I am watching the first season of Tokyo Vice – really enjoying it! I am a fan of Ken Watanabe. So far about 20 – 25% Japanese language dialogue on a rough guess, with the rest English, and a very very small amount of Korean. And roughly an 80% cigarette smoking rate: the series could easily be alternatively named (in a lame reference to a recent awesome Academy Award winner) ”Everyone Smoking Everywhere All at Once.” Nice suits.

4 x

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Mon May 15, 2023 2:31 pm

I have decided to bail on the N5 test on July 2nd. I tried working through a practice exam recently and had a complete freak out – I am nowhere near ready, and taking the testing in July would undoubtedly result not just in a brutal beating but in a full-on unrelenting merciless bloodbath.

So, back to the original plan of N5 testing in December. I have fallen recently into a comfortable practice of at least 1.5 hours of Japanese study per day, spread throughout the day. If I can keep that up through to the end of November, I will be able to get an additional 300 hours of study in from now before the December test date.

Aspirationally aiming for N4 testing in July – on the same basis of 1.5 study hours per day, that would result in a titch over 600 additional study hours, which should be sufficient.

Big shout out for the Michel Thomas Method, Foundation Japanese Course. I finished this, working through each lesson twice. I was really impressed with this and found it very helpful. I would highly recommend it to those starting out in Japanese. I thought it even better (quite a bit better, actually) than the ones involving Michel Thomas himself for Spanish, French, Italian and German, which I had enjoyed in the past.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”