And now Korean!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

And now Korean!

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am

Things I have understood while watching K-dramas: Mom, Dad, Brother, Grandma, Milk, Bread, Apple, Coffee, Tea, Hospital, Room, I Understand, So, Too Much, Go Away, Love, Where Are You, Kiss.

This massive list is not from a single episode, this is what I’ve understood over the course of about 30 hours of watching. Lingodeer thinks I know 125 words, but that’s rather optimistic. Despite this rather limited vocabulary, I am watching without subtitles. Consuming K-Dramas is the ultimate goal, and I’m already doing it and having fun. Instant gratification! I do read recaps in English after each episode. It’s like having a side by side translation which lets you dive right in to native content.

This is a new project which deserves a new log. I’m not just watching dramas, I’m also doing daily doses of Glossika and Lingodeer. (Wow, Glossika is so my mass-input style. I would have loved to have used it with a more transparent language!)

Even more fun than watching the dramas is gossiping about them with my Korean sister-in-law. Someday I’d love to actually speak Korean with her, but that seems a *long* way off…
22 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Re: And now Korean!

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:44 am

I feel it is very important to note that I’ve also understood Uncle, Aunt, Pancake and “1… 2… 3…” (in both Korean and Sino-Korean numbers!)

Sigh. Vocabulary is going to be *such* a beast…
4 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:19 am

Welcome to Korean. 화이팅!
3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:11 pm

lichtrausch wrote:Welcome to Korean. 화이팅!

And there is another word I’ve understood! Although it definitely caught me off guard, even though French and German have prepared me to expect Anglicisms that we would never use. (핸드폰 reminded me of Handy in German…)
5 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:33 pm

파이팅 !!!
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:49 pm

Well, My Little Bride is certainly the *best* high school arraigned marriage romantic comedy I’ve ever seen… It’s a really fun, well-made movie with an icky premise: Sixteen year old freshman girl marries her college aged childhood family friend to satisfy her dying grandfather’s last wish for the two families to be united. Their grandfathers were best friends during the war, and obviously that’s what really matters! (Never mind that it’s 2004 and the girl has a crush on a handsome classmate and wants to go to college…) I can’t really fault the age difference and family connection, it’s practically the same as Cher and Josh in my beloved Clueless. (Although it doesn’t help that the actors playing 16 and 21 look about 14 and 27.) And the theme of finding love in a teenage arraigned marriage wouldn’t bother me if it was set in a traditional society. Can’t fault a girl for making the best of her very limited choices. But when the girl has a cell phone and wears sneakers and the boy has highlights and a Woody Allen poster, the whole thing just feels wrong. But that’s sort of the fun of Korean? This was a hugely popular film, and it underlines that somethings from Korea are foreign to me, in a way that things from France and Germany just aren’t, at least not anymore. It’s nice to explore a culture that can surprise me.
8 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:27 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:I feel it is very important to note that I’ve also understood Uncle, Aunt, Pancake and “1… 2… 3…” (in both Korean and Sino-Korean numbers!)

What about "bathroom" and "online sales"? :D
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:19 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:I feel it is very important to note that I’ve also understood Uncle, Aunt, Pancake and “1… 2… 3…” (in both Korean and Sino-Korean numbers!)

What about "bathroom" and "online sales"? :D

Heard a new one last night: 웨딩 드레스

See, Korean is easy!
3 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm

So after about 30 hours of un-subbed K-drama, I’ve let go of my no-sub dogma. I did no-sub from the start with French, but I already knew thousands of French words. According to LingoDeer I know 242 words in Korean. This is very, very generous. I’ve been introduced to 242 words. I don’t *know* them. Watching with subs is also less cognitively taxing for me. Which unfortunately is something I have to actively monitor. (Damn you, COVID!) With subs, I’m still actively listening and making connections. I think I’ll drop subs when I know 2,000 words. (And by know, I mean really *know*.) I expect this to take at least a year. I can’t just grind through an Anki deck. Grinding is really bad for my brain these days. It’s fun while I do it, but I pay the price afterwards.

I have a 37 day streak on LingoDeer and I’m 50% through the Korean 1 course. (When I was at about 25%, I felt adrift and started back at the beginning.) I think I’ll finish Korean 1 and 2 before I really work through Assimil. (And then maybe do Korean 1 and 2 over again…) My retention isn’t amazing but I’m making progress, and I’m satisfied.

Glossika doesn’t feel like it’s working, I usually have no ability anticipate the Korean speaker, but I’ve found myself recognizing some of the expressions in my dramas, so clearly something is happening behind the scenes.

My heading is swimming with vaguely familiar Korean expressions, but I feel miles from the shore. (I love this stage!)
11 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:38 am

I went through the same thing with Japanese. I spent my first year and a half dogmatically watching shows in Japanese with no subtitles before I switched to just watching with (english) subtitles all the time.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”