And now Korean!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: And now Korean!

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:35 pm

golyplot wrote:I went through the same thing with Japanese. I spent my first year and a half dogmatically watching shows in Japanese with no subtitles before I switched to just watching with (english) subtitles all the time.

Did you ever reach a stage when you dropped
English subs? Maybe switched to Japanese subs? I’m just curious, clearly there are no right or wrong answers. (Unless you are an English speaker studying French. No subs!)
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:54 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Did you ever reach a stage when you dropped
English subs? Maybe switched to Japanese subs? I’m just curious, clearly there are no right or wrong answers. (Unless you are an English speaker studying French. No subs!)

No, I realized that realistically, I'll never get to the point where I can understand everything better in Japanese, so if you're watching for entertainment, it's best to just use subs (It's not like I can understand everything even in German or French either!). That being said, if I read the subtitles quickly enough, I'll try to pay attention to the dialog too in between.
2 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:28 am

I love how ever white person in a K-Drama is Australian. Doesn’t matter if their character is American, or if the scene allegedly takes place in Germany, if they are white they are Aussies. (Maybe Kiwis? Definitely Antipodean.) It’s fantastic and I hope it continues, it cracks me up every time.
5 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:45 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:I love how ever white person in a K-Drama is Australian. Doesn’t matter if their character is American, or if the scene allegedly takes place in Germany, if they are white they are Aussies. (Maybe Kiwis? Definitely Antipodean.) It’s fantastic and I hope it continues, it cracks me up every time.

Have you noticed that the Koreans who speak perfect English speak with an American accent?
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:44 pm

rdearman wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:I love how ever white person in a K-Drama is Australian. Doesn’t matter if their character is American, or if the scene allegedly takes place in Germany, if they are white they are Aussies. (Maybe Kiwis? Definitely Antipodean.) It’s fantastic and I hope it continues, it cracks me up every time.

Have you noticed that the Koreans who speak perfect English speak with an American accent?

I haven’t heard any Koreans on TV with perfect English yet, but as a Californian, I’m not surprised. Huge Korean population on the West Coast, and no British colonial history. No reason to speak the King’s English.
2 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:53 am

Ugh. I spoke too soon. My current drama, The King 2 Hearts, has a lot of American actors. Truly dreadful American actors, speaking lines clearly written via Google Translate. It’s painful. A tragic flaw in an otherwise fun show. At least you appreciate how good the Korean actors are, in even the smallest parts.
4 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:39 pm

I’m just over 50 days into officially studying Korean, and I’ve established a daily routine. First and foremost: two rounds of LingoDeer. I really like this app. It gets the balance between too easy and too hard just right. Just challenging enough to keep you actively engaged without being infuriatingly difficult. Lots of building words with pre-fabricated syllables, which is much less frustrating than having to spelling everything out. And they usually let you hear the answer if you need some help. (I need help!) Memrise Russian had so much going for it, but kept expecting me to accurately spell words I barely knew, the LingoDeer approach, at least for the Asian languages is so much better. (And there is a full keyboard option if you are ready for spelling. I’m not!) Second, I try to do Glossika everyday, I’m keeping it reasonable with only seventy-five review sentences. I’m sure I could and would go much higher with a more transparent language. I’m fairly consistent with this, but if I miss a day it’s okay. Third, the Refold K01K deck on Anki. I had to pay about $20 for this, but I think it was worth it. I found a nice free deck with the first thousand Korean words, but the words were in random order and I found it too challenging. The Refold deck is in frequency order, which made it easier to get started as the initial words were much more familiar from my KDrama watching. (Do you want to start with “Hello” and “Thank you” or would you prefer “cosmetics” and “exam”?) As with Glossika, I do my best, but missing a day is okay. Fourth, and really only sporadically, I play with Clozemaster. Korean isn’t ideal for Clozemaster. Given the word order differences between Korean and English, it isn’t easy to intuit what word the correct answer actually represents in the sentence. Clozemaster was foundational for me with French, and is just an optional extra with Korean. It’s not just that Korean is an opaque language, I found Clozemaster much easier with Russian and Chinese where word order is more similar to English. Of course I’ve also been watching two or three hours of KDrama a day. This is more entertainment than studying, but you pick up a lot of cultural nuance and it certainly reinforces common phrases. Even with English subs, the word order differences make it difficult to pick up new Korean words from watching dramas. I’ve only been able to figure out basic commands like, “sit,” “get in,” “go away” and short responses such as “I know,” “I agree,” etc. But all the Korean exposure in 150+ hours of television can’t be hurting, right?
11 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:51 pm

Dear Captioning Gods: Please don’t translate “My Bitch” as “My Beach,” particularly if the characters are discussing the English lyrics of a song the audience can actually hear. This will just cause needless confusion. We are grownups, we can handle the truth. Thank you.

Edited to add: Okay, according to Wikipedia, the song was actually released on the soundtrack as “My Beach.” That’s, uh, *not* what they are singing…. (Lovestruck in the City, if you are wondering.)
7 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 pm

The narrator in my dream last night was speaking rapid-fire Korean. I couldn’t understand anything, but it sounded *really* good. I wonder if any of it was real… The 200+ hours of Korean I’ve listened to in the last three months is clearly doing something to my brain.
7 x
niveau debutant

intermédiaire

Pimsleur French 1-5

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Postby Picaboo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 pm

Yeah, it cracks me up to how bad the English speaking actors are... at acting. I think the directors can't speak English so don't realize? I also feel bad for the Korean actors who play international businessmen and phonetically spew their English lines. They sound like a deaf person speaking.

I think watching K-Dramas with English subs does get the rhythm and sounds of the language into your head. Thus, your dream in Korean.

It's not that effective though if you like the show. I miss things I know quite well when I'm reading in English and absorbed, although, now that I'm getting better at Korean it sometimes confuses me and brings me out of the show, because most of the sentences are backwards and the long ones get broken up so my brain processes a mismatch because it's actually two different things... until you see/hear the second half and the whole thought converges.

If you don't like the show then it is a better learning experience. Language reactor you can have English and Korean subtitles going on, plus some pausing, shadowing in your head etc. I think Viki has a learning mode on computer, too. I haven't tried it. I'm saving my Viki Pass shows for when I can understand Korean or can at least follow with Korean only subs. If I don't die of old age, first. :)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”