Le français québécois: Lâche pas la patate!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Le français québécois: Lâche pas la patate!

Postby Le Baron » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:53 pm

I just listened to it, it's bizarre. It reminds me of when I hear Frisian and my brain goes on fire for a minute until I realise why I can and can't understand it. :lol: I put the French on for a minute, but then after going through the 'strange' words a couple of times having the French on is a hindrance!
1 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:38 pm

Le Baron wrote:I just listened to it, it's bizarre. It reminds me of when I hear Frisian and my brain goes on fire for a minute until I realise why I can and can't understand it. :lol: I put the French on for a minute, but then after going through the 'strange' words a couple of times having the French on is a hindrance!
I know, right! Those lessons are hardcore québécois and far, far removed from the French I learned in school. Are they even the same language? Thank goodness for the transcripts.

I wish you hadn't mentioned Frisian … There's not enough time, dammit. :(
2 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:47 am

24-30 Mar, 23
Tabarouette! Where did the week go?

News
Read a bunch of stories, mostly non-language related. This is the most recent:
Inculpé, Donald Trump va devoir « se rendre » à la justice :|Radio Canada

Textbooks
Par ici: méthode de français – Échelle québécoise 7-8 (B2) – there are only 8, very long lessons and I think it will take quite a while to do them, possibly a whole year! (I'll probably bore everyone to tears, so apologies in advance.) But for me, it's become more about the process and not the end goal. This is something that's just occured to me and I think I'll allow myself to go down those rabbit holes that I've resisted because I thought it would slow down my progress. But it's not just the language I'm learning, it's the culture as well. Having said that, I reserve the right to change my mind, at any time, without notice. :lol:
**Automne**
Épisode 1: Changement de cap – going back to school, making a new CV, interviewing for a job
Complete French Grammar – adjectives cont'd, plus a review of the imparfait (review from her book on conjugations, not from this current book) + comparatives and superlatives. I've been watching the accompanying videos as well. It's funny that she says "moindre" is rarely used, yet I've come across it in the news multiple times.

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep97-100 – didn't feel like watching the last two twice so I watched with subs only, but very attentively.
Il était une forêt – 43 min
–ep3 La forêt nourriciére – des belles petites pleurotes, des bluets et des framboises, etc; la mangeaille forestière
Dr Sébastien Vétérinaire – 22 min
– s3ep1 Culte du mignon – les conséquences de modifications génétiques sur la santé des animaux, comme avec les bouldogues française, les chihuahuas, les chats sphinx, etc. Le docteur est fâché.

Youtube videos
archivesRC
En 2019, les 20 ans de la fermeture du restaurant "Le 9e" chez Eaton – beautiful art-deco restaurant on the 9th floor of the old Eaton's department store. My mom sometimes took my sisters and me there for lunch when we went to town. Eaton's is long gone but the current owners are reopening the restaurant and are apparently preserving its heritage.
En 1993, Roch Voisine rend visite à des élèves d'une école française de Terre-Neuve – oh man, I had such a crush on him! This is his most famous song.

Je parle québécois videos
Le Petit Robert 2015 présenté par Fred Pellerin – Québécisms sneaking into the dictionary. Emmieuter is one example, meaning to make better. I think I'll get one of those illustrated dictionaries, although I'll probably spend way too much time reading it. I do like dictionaries.
Le sirop d'érable au Québec avec Fred Pellerin. Fred gets around, eh?

Current book
Au royaume des aveugles by Louise Penny, had to renew this once, but I should finish it this week. There's a character called La Baronne in this book. She is dead but she's integral to the plot, nonetheless. A bit further back in her history is a Le Baron. :o

Balado
Canadaland – 46 min
(Détours) Bon Cop, Bad Cop: Paul Wells sur le convoi de la liberté – Wells wrote a book, in English, about the convoy, the use of the emergencies act and the commission that investigated it. "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" comes from a movie of the same name, about an English cop and a French cop who have to work together. It's a good illustration of the two solitudes that is Canada. Plus hockey because, well Canada. I didn't quite catch the relevance to the police in the podcast, although their behaviour during the "freedom" (cough) convoy was certainly something, ahem. I've listened to Canadaland many times but not recently, so I'm happy to see that they're including episodes in French now, especially with Emilie Nicolas as host. I like her a lot. In this episode, Wells and Nicolas speak very clear French, pas comme les gars de la station spatiale, pantoute. They both appear on TV sometimes, so that's probably why.

Québécismes
• Pinotte (critiqué comme synonyme non standard de arachide) = peanut
• Tanné(e) (à bout de patience) = tired, fed up
Ex. J'suis tannée de travailler pour des pinottes.
• Toffer = put up with something
Ex. Ça fait mal, mais je peux le toffer.
• Pantoute (pas du tout, pas en tout) = not at all
Ex. « J'exagère pas pantoute! » Étymologie 1880; d'après la prononciation de "pas en tout"; via Usito
• Paparmane = peppermint

Anki and word lists
No Anki this week but I did work on some word lists.

Frisian word du jour (or de la semaine, in this case; and it may be the one and only)
Boek, boeken = book(s) in English; bouquin(s) en français
Étymologie: 1459, du moyen néerlandais boec « livre » via Usito

alif100 started an interesting thread about being a native Mandarin speaker, or not. I had nothing relevant to add to the discussion (disgussion?), but it reminded me of a TV show I watched when I was a kid. It was a children's show meant to help kids learn French and I still remember, word-for-word, some of the songs I learned from that show. Now I'm wondering if it could be considered a quasi-heritage language, having had that kind of exposure to it at around 5 yrs old. Probably not, but it's interesting to speculate.

Bon, c'est tout pour l'instant. À la prochaine.
4 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:23 am

31 Mar - 6 Apr, 23

News
Read a number of articles in addition to the usual heds and deks, notably:
– Justin Trudeau défend son budget déficitaire à l'émission Tout le monde en parle – Radio Canada; then, of course, I had to watch the show
Céline Dion, Robert Charlebois et Louis Riel sont Franco-Ontariens, selon Chat GPT – Radio Canada – The reporter asked, among other things, if Chat could name 20 famous Franco-Ontariens and it failed miserably. Dion and Charlebois are Québécois and Riel was from Manitoba. There were a slew of other errors, such as Les Hay Babies who are from New Brunswick. It even mentioned Maurice Duplessis, a horrible former Quebec premier. It reminded me of when I asked it for Québécois language-learning material and couldn't find any of the resources it named. There are still a few bugs in the system I guess. The end of the article asks, why couldn't it be programmed to simply say, « Désolé, je ne sais pas. » Exactement.

Textbooks
Par ici: méthode de français – Échelle québécoise 7-8 (B2)
**Automne**
Épisode 1: Changement de cap cont'd. I think it will probably take weeks to finish this lesson and I'm not particularly interested in the subject so far. Plus, there are quite a few essay-type questions and writing isn't my forté. I'm finding it kind of hard. Tant pis pour moi, hein? :D
Complete French Grammar – a snippet of the Future Simple and the Future Proche; I've ordered her book on verb conjugations.

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep101-104 With and without subs
– s3ep2 Vision animale
– s3ep3 Surmonter un handicap
Tout le monde en parle – the first 25 minutes only
– s19ep22 Invitée: Justin Trudeau, who didn't stay for cocktails, unsurprisingly. Co-host, MC Gilles, played the opposition role, to wit, "what about the deficit, etc??" Trudeau handled it quite well, I thought. Good thing there isn't an election in the near future or I might be tempted to vote for him. Of course, it could be that it was set up to make for more interesting TV. I noticed that the PM used "tu" with Gilles, but Gilles used "vous" with Trudeau even though he was giving the PM a hard time. The only other guest I knew was Mike Ward, who made a tasteless joke at the PM's expense after Trudeau left, so I stopped watching. Too bad you can't buy class.

Videos
• Youtube
archivesRC
Michel Garneau parle de la traduction de l'œuvre de Leonard Cohen en 2001 – « … il y a dans le québécois un rythme … une sorte de musique qui est particulière » et « … si vous voulez inquiéter un canadien anglais du Québec dites-lui qu'il a un accent québécois en anglais parce que les Anglais du Québéc parle l'anglais avec un petit quelque chose de spécial qui vient de nous autres » :lol: That made me laugh. So true. Mais, ça ne m'inquiète pas, pantoute. Je l'adore! Étrange musique étrangère is the book of translations of Cohen's poems and/or songs.
Side note: they talked about Cohen's song Suzanne which is my all-time favourite, so, le voici.

• Je parle québécois
Les filles du roy: L'histoire de la Blonde de Chambly (qui a inspiré une bière)
Que veux dire bourrasser en Québécois? – our friend Fred again with another québécois word supposedly sneaking into Le Petit Robert. However, I didn't find it in the online dictionary. Quest-ce qui se passe Fred, knower of all the things?

• Radio-Canada
Pour ou contre réécrire des livres jugés offensant? | Débat

Book
– Finished Au royaume des aveugles by Louise Penny. No French books for a bit while I catch up on some in English.

Anki and word lists
Worked on both this week

Québécismes
Bourrasser = to handle roughly, to bully +/or to express dissatisfaction

Frisian word de la semaine
Lêze = to read in English, lire en français

Bon, c'est tout pour cette semaine. Arrividerci tout le monde.
5 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:34 am

7 - 13 Apr, 23

News
The usual, I guess. Nothing stands out, although I did read some articles.

Textbooks
**Automne**
Épisode 1: Changement de cap, cont'd and finally finished. I found this one really hard and I messed up the last exercise, which was what to include in a job-application cover letter. Thankfully, I have no need to write one in the foreseeable future or I'd never get the job. This does not bode well for the rest of the course. :( Nevertheless, I will persist.
Complete French Grammar – l'objet et le pronom direct et indirect. Learned something that surprised me in this lesson: the verb agrees with the direct object when avoir is the auxilliary. I've never noticed that before. Also, Y and EN. Y is used to replace an object. EN is used to replace an object … Well, that clears everything up.

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep105-108 Watched the first three episodes twice, first with subs, then without. I reversed the order with the last one. It's a bit disheartening to realize how little I understood without subs.
– s3ep4 Curieux spécimens – chinchillas, tortues et perroquets, oh my. One of the vets removed an eye from a tiny tortoise that had been stepped on. Awww!
– s3ep5 Mission : sauvetage – unfortunately, they weren't able to save the little tortoise.
Découvert
– s35 Déconstruire le pont Champlain – 34:47 – this was a giant engineering feat. Part of the mandate was to avoid environmental damage to the river and its flora and fauna. Mid-demo they discovered a large colony of cliff swallows nesting on the underside of the bridge. The demolition stopped until nesting season was over. It was really fascinating. My dad worked on that bridge installing phone cables. And we drove over it many times, unaware that it was crumbling away beneath us. Small mercies.
Autonome – magazine de Télé Québec – s1ep1 – three friends come to the realization that they lack some useful skills. In the series, mentors help them learn to become more self-sufficient as they take on repairing an old house, learning to cook, etc. One of the mentors is Edith Butler! She's a very well-known Acadian singer, but in this case, she a carpenter and a home-renovation expert. At 80 years old. I want to be like her when I grow up.
Useful vocab from the episode:
une sableuse orbitale
une équerre
un niveau
un tournevis
un couteau d'office (affectueusement, le petit couteau à patate – on est québécois(e) après tout :D)

Youtube videos
archivesRC
Entrevue de 1995 avec Melissa Auf Der Maur, musicienne – 8:44. She played bass with Smashing Pumpkins and Hole, Courtney Love's band. I knew her father Nick. He was a Montreal fixture, city counciller and newspaper columnist. He often wrote about Melissa. He was also very well-known in the bar scene. A friend and I went out for dinner with him once. He was so proud of Melissa. Good grief, that sent me on a trip down memory lane. Now I need to re-read Nick : a Montreal life, the book of his writings that my mom sent me after he died.
Rufus Rockhead et le Rockhead Paradise de Montréal – 1:28 – Rockhead's was a night club that operated from the 1930s to the late 1970s in Little Burgandy, a predominantly-black Montreal neighbourhood. Many of the top jazz musicians of the era played there, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald, to name a few. Ok, maybe more than a few. :) Two greats, Oscar Peterson and Oliver Jones, grew up in Little Burgandy. I went to Rockhead's after its heyday once, in the middle of the day, when nothing whatsoever was going on. I think it was just a bar at the time. Sadly, it was torn down in the 80s.

Anki and word lists
More word lists, less Anki, but I did both, about an hour total for the week.

Québécismes
Êtes vite sur ses patins (literally, to be quick on one's skates) = to understand and/or to react quickly
Flusher = (aside from flushing a toilet), to break up with or to dump someone.
Ex. J'avais loué une chambre d'hôtel parce que je voulais revoir mon amant, mais finalement, il m'a flushée. (via Stat) Nice illustration of the verb + avoir + direct object agreement. I love coincidences like that. Flusher est déconseillé par l'OQLF.

Other languages
• West Frisian
Bliuwe = to stay/remain, cognate of English belive (obsolete) – Source: Youtube video Frisian - Sister language(s) of English
Ex. Wy bliuwe normaal jûns thús. = We usually stay home in the evening. Literal translation: We stay normal in the evening at home. Speak for yourselves.
It's interesting to see how close Frisian can be to English. I took a little quiz about colours on Learning Frisian and had two mistakes at level 10 (of 11), but got the rest correct. Mind you, I guessed a few.
• Swahili
Mimi ni mwepesi lakini siachi = I'm slow but I'm not stopping :D
5 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:34 am

14-20 Apr, 23

News
Stories of the week:
La langue française et l’exemplarité de l’État, une responsabilité collectiveLe Devoir
Des profs veulent simplifier les règles d’accord du participe passé24 Heures (This is a terrible site with multiple sensational-type ads popping up. I had to copy and paste the text into a separate text file in order to read it. I don't understand that business model and I will never forgive the people who invented the ad-block detection software. /rant) Enteka, this ties in nicely with my belated discovery of the agreement with the verb + direct object + avoir. An example from the article: « "La mort de l'homme que j'ai tant désiré." Est-ce que le complément direct est la mort ou l'homme? » Later on, one of the interviewees estimates that about 80 hours are necessary for students to learn the participe passé agreement rules. :shock: I'm not yet sure where I stand on this issue. Probably nowhere. I'll learn it with the same joie as the rest of the language. Ou presque.

Textbooks
**Automne**
Épisode 2 : Matière à discussion – canning veg and fruit, "are you following the election campaign?" and other chit chat; plus, est-il possible pour des Autochtones d'avoir une alimentation végane ou végétarienne? Oui, mais ce n'est pas durable. Un melon d'eau à 75 $? Yikes!
Complete French Grammar – Les pronoms ensembles – les DOPs et les IOPs, and the use of pronouns with the impératif. My brain hurts. :?

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep109-112 Watched all twice, first without subs, then again with. This way seems to work better for me than the reverse.
– s3ep6 Anxiété animale
– s3ep7 À bout de souffle – les maladies respiratoires
Autonome – 22 min
– s1ep2 « Prennez trois personnes incompétentes » (quatre en comptant moi :lol:) – faire du pain, poser un luminaire, récupérer l'eau de pluie. Toute mon eau provient de la pluie. C'est stressant en été lorsqu'il ne pleut pas.
Vocab from this episode:
un crayon testeur = an electrical current tester
un turnevis plat = a flat screwdriver
une scie sauteuse = a jigsaw

Youtube videos
archivesRC
En 1987, portrait du métro de Montréal – if you lived in a building connected to the metro, you would never have to go outside. You could even live in Longueuil, a city across the river.

Book
Les Français aussi ont un accent : mésaventures anthropologiques d'un Québécois en Vieille-France by Jean-Benoît Nadeau via the Internet Archive, recommended by Peter Mollenburg, merci Peter. Je viens de le commencer, mais je le trouve assez drôle, comme la douche-téléphone-sans-fixation-au-mur et l'absence de rideau de douche!

Québécismes
• Les bibittes (various spellings) à sucre = people with a sweet tooth; bibittes = bugs
Ex. « … on se lance dans la confiture. Les bibittes à sucre vont être contentes! » via Par ici
• Enteka (en tout cas) = anyway
• Capoter raide = to panic, to lose it or to really like something; it depends on the context.
Ex. Je suis en train de capoter raide; or, Je capote ben raide sur le ski (ben = bien)
• Pourriel = spam email (email is courriel)

Innu word of the week:
Kwe = salut, bonjour

Anki and word lists
Reviewed some short Anki decks; reviewed and made a new word list; about an hour for the week

I've been reading a bit of Nick, a Montreal Life, in English and in one of his columns he wrote about a contest he had held. The idea was for readers to send in their best Frenglicisms. Some of the entries: take a beer before commanding a meal; mainte-now; toute bleeping suite; ameliorating their French. I say this all the time, but usually, "I'm in the train of ameliorating mon français." Somehow, I don't think this is what Michel Graneau meant when he said « Les Anglais du Québéc parle l'anglais avec un petit quelque chose de spécial qui vient de nous autres. » :D

Bon, ça suffit pour cette semaine. I pray you to accept the expression of my sentiments. Happy trails tout le monde!
4 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:32 am

21-27 Apr, 23
Kind of an unproductive week for language learning. Too many other things going on. Like my grass is already up to my knees and I haven't had time to mow. :mrgreen:

News stories of the week
– Langues officielles : un plan quinquennal de 4,1 milliards $ axé sur le français « On doit reconnaître que la langue française est la seule langue qui est menacée au Canada » – Ginette Petitpas Taylor, ministre des Langues officielles. Interestingly, she doesn't mention indigenous languages which are more threatened than French, but whatever.) Et « 137,5 millions de dollars sur cinq ans sera destiné à la communauté anglophone du Québec. »
– Un jour plus tard « Les 138 millions destinés aux anglophones doivet servir à la francisation, dit Québec. » Ce n'est pas une mauvaise idée.
Meanwhile, in Vancouver:
– Ils se roulent un joint de 28 kilos (pour célébrer l'anniversaire de la légalisation de la marijuana)
Vancouver se penche sur une « couverture complète des organes génitaux » à la piscine. Vancouver seems to be having an identity crisis. The first story is very "left coast" and in-keeping with Vancouver's laid-back reputation. The second, not so much.

Textbooks
**Automne**
Épisode 2 cont'd – a project to change the law re: planned obsolescence; le conditionnel présent – I failed at hearing this tense. :(
Complete French Grammar – pronouns galore

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep113-116 – last episodes of the season. And it ends with a cliffhanger. Did Jacob kill François, the husband of Emmanuelle, Jacob's boss? I may never know. I really hate cliffhangers.
– s3ep8 Réactions en chaîne – les allergies

Books
Un homme meilleur by Louise Penny, of course
The Wolves of Winter by Tyrell Johnson, in English. This is a dystopian novel set in the Yukon after nuclear wars and flu have wiped out most of humanity. Every time I stop reading I'm surprised that it's not snowing and minus 40 degrees here.

Anki and word lists
No Anki, but I worked on a couple of word lists.

Bon, c'est tout pour mes perles de sagesse cette semaine. :D Salut, y'all.
2 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat May 06, 2023 1:39 am

28 Apr - 4 May, 23

News story of the week
From RPMHTFVVC to FNQLHSSC: What's behind Quebec's love of long abbreviations? – "These long names reflect an engaged civil society and a healthy democratic life among groups of community organizations." Maybe so, and yet what's the point if no one can figure out what they mean? Via CBC (en anglais!)

Textbook
**Automne**
Épisode 2 cont'd – Lisez cet article, puis répondez aux questions: Du safran cultivé au Québec – très intéressant et maintenant je veux le cultiver, mais c'est "un travail de moine," meaning labour intensive. I had a lot of resistance with the essay-type questions in this exercise. They ask the hapless student to summarize each paragraph. I completed four out of nine so far. C'est un travail de moine pour moi. :roll:

TV
Dr Sébastien Vétérinaire – 21 min
– s3ep9 Vivre pour les animaux
– s3ep10 Fin de vie – the doctor's own dog died at the end of this episode. :cry:
Police avant-gardiste – Police avant-gardiste témoigne de la réalité de la police de Longueuil (une ville située de l'autre côté du fleuve, à proximité de Montréal)
– s1ep1 This was difficult to understand. It didn't help that most people were wearing masks, plus the subtitles didn't match what people were saying. Regardless, whenever I watch these shows where people are speaking naturally, I have this great yearning to understand them as easily as if they're speaking my native language. If that makes any sense.

Youtube video
Ma prof de français – 6:23 min
Comment s'appellent ces 10 objets?
un tutou = a stuffed toy
une débarbouillette – a facecloth, washcloth
la soie dentaire = dental floss
la pâte à dent (fam) ou le dentifrice = toothpaste
un linge à vaisselle = a dish towel
une guenille (prononced guénille) = a dishcloth
une mitaine de four = an oven mitt
un ziploc ou un baggie = same
un tupperware = maudit anglais
une télécommande, une manette ou une pittonneuse = a remote control

Book
Still reading Un homme meilleur. Coincidentally, aside from a murder, so far it's largely about spring flooding in Quebec at the same time that it's actually happening there in real life. I've read the phrase, « la rivière etait sorti de son lit » both in the book and in the news.

It's been another week with little language learning. Mostly I've been reading the news, watching a few tv shows and reading my book, and that's about it. I haven't felt like doing much textbook-type work, aka actual studying; possibly because I'm finding it hard and my resistance is strong. I think I'm going to focus on gardening for a while and try to stop feeling guilty for slacking off on language learning. The weather has been gorgeous and gardening (mostly weeding tbh) has been taking up a lot of my time anyway. I'm working on a master plan for the garden with the intent of becoming more self-sufficient food-wise and I think I'll focus on that for a while. That, plus I'm "building an ark," for wildlife, which I hope will be part of a pollinator corridor that connects to my neighbour's garden. Maybe I should learn the French words for all of that.
7 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sat May 06, 2023 1:51 am

The course featured on "J'apprends le Québécois" was created by an old HTLAL member, Arekkusu. I took a few italki lessons with him years ago as well. Wish he was still around, he had some really good posts back in the day.

I work with some folks from Quebec and it can be tough to understand them when they get to chatting and joking among themselves.
3 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat May 06, 2023 4:04 am

tastyonions wrote:The course featured on "J'apprends le Québécois" was created by an old HTLAL member, Arekkusu. I took a few italki lessons with him years ago as well. Wish he was still around, he had some really good posts back in the day.
Oh, how interesting. I'll have to see if I can find his old HTLAL posts. Thanks for the info!

tastyonions wrote:I work with some folks from Quebec and it can be tough to understand them when they get to chatting and joking among themselves.
You sure are right about that! :D
1 x

Return to “Language logs”