Le français québécois: Lâche pas la patate!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Le français québécois: Lâche pas la patate!

Postby Iversen » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:34 am

CaroleR wrote:Started doing Iversen's type of word lists, so far for certain words I'm not remembering in Anki. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I have difficulty following written instructions, so I found a fellow on Youtube, Ruben Quinones, who made a series of simplified videos about the method. I hope Iversen approves.
Level up your vocabulary with the Iversen Method!
Demonstration of the Iversen Method
Demonstration of Iversen Method, continued

I didn't know about these videos, but now I have checked the middle one out and it's quite good so I definitely approve...
(Serbian below)

051-wordlists-how.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Iversen wrote:I didn't know about these videos, but now I have checked the middle one out and it's quite good so I definitely approve...
(Serbian below)
I'm happy to hear that you approve and that I've been doing it correctly as illustrated in your attachment. I like doing the lists and I seem to be retaining the words quite well. Better than with Anki, in fact. Thanks for creating this method!
1 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:25 pm

Merci pour les ressources québécoises ! Ma famille visite Montréal en avril et je lutte de comprendre le français canadien. Tu m'as aidé beaucoup ! L'app Ohdio est formidable et j'adore aussi la chaîne « Ma prof de français » !
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:09 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Merci pour les ressources québécoises ! Ma famille visite Montréal en avril et je lutte de comprendre le français canadien. Tu m'as aidé beaucoup ! L'app Ohdio est formidable et j'adore aussi la chaîne « Ma prof de français » !
Bienvenue ! (québécois pour dire « de rien ») Je suis heureuse d'apprendre que tu as trouvé des ressources utiles. Le mois d'avril est généralement une bonne période pour aller à Montréal. Sauf quand il neige. :D Bonne visite !
3 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:59 am

10-16 Mar, 23

Didn't do much this week. I had the time, more or less, but didn't feel much like studying. Sowed some seeds instead.

News
In the news this week, « La comédienne Louisette Dussault n'est plus. » I hadn't heard of her before but I find the expression « … n'est plus » interesting. It's used quite often when someone dies and I wonder about it every time. It seems to be kind of like "pass away," if I'm understanding it correctly, but more sudden. They're here and then they're gone. Poof!

Textbook
Complete French Grammar – thought I was finished with prepositions but no. Now we have a slew of "same verb, different prepositions." Also, interrogative pronouns. Quoi?

So, my great idea to use the other books in conjunction with the above has been a dismal failure. Both are more advanced and use vocabulary and terminology that haven't yet been covered in CFG. So, I'll put them aside for now or use them more as references. Or fire starters. Haven't decided yet.

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep89-92 Still watching with subs and then again without.
Il était une forêt – un voyage dans la forêt de Fred Pellerin, à Saint-Élie-de-Caxton – 43 min
–ep1 Le lac – Fred is a well-known musician, author and storyteller. I think I mentioned him before when I saw him on Tout le monde en parle. My ultimate goal in learning this language, which I've come to adore, is to be able to understand what Fred is saying in this video. Fred Pellerin parle du quebec

Book
Au royaume des aveugles by Louise Penny ~440 pgs

Anki and word lists
Still doing both most days. Less Anki and more word lists, though.

Québécisme
Frencher = to French kiss; conjugated just like any other verb :D

4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:54 pm

Do you ever check out the videos on archivesRC? This was a good video from today:

3 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:04 am

Le Baron wrote:Do you ever check out the videos on archivesRC? This was a good video from today:
I watched a couple of their videos a long time ago, but I'd forgotten about the channel. Thanks for the reminder. That video is good. I'd never heard of the possibility that the cold might play a role in the development of the accent. Interesting theory. :)
0 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:26 am

17-23 March, 23

I would change my user name to brokenrecord if it wasn't already taken.

News: the usual

Textbook
Complete French Grammar – adjectives

TV
STAT – 22 min
– s1ep93-96
Il était une forêt – 43 min
–ep2 Le bois – one of Fred's artist friends made him some cyanotype prints from plants in the forest. I'd like to try that.

Book
Au royaume des aveugles by Louise Penny

Balado
Aujourd'hui l'histoire – 23 min
Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 1968-1972: un premier mandat annonciateur – former prime minister and father of our current PM

Youtube videos
archivesRC (thanks LeBaron!)
En 1956, the journaliste René Lévesque réalise un vox pop électoral – he went on to become the leader of the separatiste Parti québécois and premier of Quebec.
Maudit hiver! Tout à fait!
La réalisation d'un centre de table en poinsettias en 1978 – I have no idea why I watched that.
ICI on chante – Do wah diddy avec Tony Roman. Apparently he was quite a heartthrob. This was a French cover of an English song of the same name. Some things can't be translated.

From 23 April 1966, 2:02 min.

Québécismes
Nous autres, vous autres, eux autres – used instead of the usual single pronouns
Ex. « Voudrais-tu partir en vacances avec nous autres? » and « Elle n’agit pas avec moi comme elle agit avec vous autres. » Examples from OQLF (Office québécois de la langue française)

Anki and word lists
Less Anki, more word lists

« C'est une langue bien difficile que le français. À peine écrit-on depuis quarante-cinq ans qu'on commence à s'en apercevoir. » – Colette (via Auralie from Kwiziq)
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:00 pm

Have you ever seen this before?

https://www.je-parle-quebecois.com/videos.html
1 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt

Postby CaroleR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:42 pm

Le Baron wrote:Have you ever seen this before?

https://www.je-parle-quebecois.com/videos.html
I have! But it was quite a long time ago and I'd forgotten about the videos. Thanks for the link. I should rewatch them to see if my listening skills have improved. I still use the site for vocabulary and expressions and their sister site has a 10-lesson course which I bought. The first lesson is free if you want to have a go. :D La station spatiale québécoise
0 x

Return to “Language logs”