Carmody's Log for French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Carmody's Log for French

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:29 am

I am also slow. ;) To me slow can = thorough
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:21 am

Well, you are right. I go slow and am thorough, but with time I forget more of the words than I would like. Does that happen to you?

Don't you find you have to keep refreshing, or is that just me?
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:44 am

Carmody wrote:Well, you are right. I go slow and am thorough, but with time I forget more of the words than I would like. Does that happen to you?

Don't you find you have to keep refreshing, or is that just me?

It happens to many of us if not all of us (including myself) to varying degrees. This is why I use SRS (Anki), although I'm not 100% convinced, and many ppl find simply using the language more helps, in particular via reading, listening and watching extensively. Some say, and I believe it to be true, that speaking goes a long way in activating new vocab/grammar. These activities act like revision as you come across words/grammar you have learned during such activities faster and more naturally than during intensive study, such as courses. It depends on the learner and their learning style as to when they will get more involved with extensive activities. In the meantime one often resorts to revision, SRS or wordlists in an attempt to retain the new vocabularly or grammatical forms.

I believe that a balance between intensive and extensive language study/use is required and that can begin with 100% intensive study when beginning to learn a language with an aim to gradually transition to 100% native (extensive) content. Trying to get it all into our heads along the way is the trick!
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Many thanks Peter.

Yes, balance is no easy thing but i will try to keep that in mind as I forge ahead....
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Language Learning as Pilgrimage

Am slowly beginning to realize my language learning is very much a pilgrimage.

Pierre Capretz of French in Action has said in his introduction to the course:
to relax and have faith that it will build in comprehension with time.

I have heard a lot of things said about language learning but never the word faith. I would add faith to the long list of qualities like daily practice that are needed.
5 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Faith is absolutely necessary, along with persistence and consistency. "Faith" can get learners through obstacles that may seem insurmountable at the time. Having learned a few second languages already, I have the faith that I can do it. 'While getting a language "under the belt" can give someone faith, monolingual beginners must trust that because others have gone down this path, they can too- if they "keep the faith". In other words "don't give up because something is 'too hard', keep going and you will get there."
7 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

iguanamon »
.. "keep the faith"... "don't give up because something is 'too hard', keep going and you will get there."

Thanks so much for your visit and your guidance; I do hope I can stay the course.

I just passed my first 800 hr of French study yesterday. That doesn't sound like much to all the heavy hitters in the Forum who have been doing language study for years, but hopefully my honest investment of study time to date will result in meaningful future results.

I don't know where the FSI got the figure of 800 hrs for fluency but I agree with Peter Mollenburg that the 800 is a drop in the bucket.

And for the record, I could not have begun to even think of putting in these hours and learning what I have, if it had not been for the openness and honesty and sharing of all the people on this Forum. This is a very special Forum with very special people.

My gratitude to all.
7 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Bao
Didn't the FSI scale only count hours of active instruction, not review assignments nor things like watching target language TV?

Bao, I defer to your assessment; I really don't know the specifics.

My 800 hrs. were based on a spread sheet that I kept of study while doing:

1-FIA

2-Reading books by JKRowling, A.Gide, A.Nothomb, F.Sagan, Marguerite Duras,etc. Total number of pages to date is over 3000 pages. (Please note: no BD)

3-The Oral:
Watching different French instructional videos.
a.for those familiar with them: Johan of Français Authentique and Francais Avec Pierre provided me with the Oral practice that was very necessary. I watch their videos repeatedly w and w/o subtitles. Reviewing and listening as intensively as possible.
b Also special podcasts by people like L'Avis de Marie that were suggested in this group previously. Marie is an absolute total charm and treasure.

4-Review-
I believe review of lessons, vocab, etc. is absolutely critical to my overall comprehension and understanding. For me to just go through material without study and review is not a wise expenditure of time for my language learning process.

Note:
-I am not advanced enough to make watching movies a useful part of my curriculum at this time. I currently have 4 French films from the library that I will be watching but the retention level for my movie viewing is not sufficient for me to count the time as study time.

-Because language learning is very time intensive, I try very hard to be as efficient in my investment of time as possible. If I find I am losing concentration I stop, take a rest and switch to another media. It is also necessary for me to keep it interesting so if I find myself losing interest I switch. So far the process has been fun and I hope to keep it that way.

-
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:27 pm

I just finished le sabotage amoureux by Amélie Nothomb and found her wonder full to read. She is definitely not for everyone but I liked her very much. I found her Stupeur Et Tremblements a really good book, but again not for everyone's taste.

Nothomb is certainly for me far better than M. Houellebecq who gets all the literary prizes. I finished a couple of weeks ago his La Carte et le Territoire and I would not recommend it to anyone. But who am I to argue with a Goncourt Prize winner.

Another book that I recently read was L'Élégance du hérisson by M. Barbery. Another very different and interesting sort of book and one that I hear is more popular over here than in Europe.
3 x

moo

Postby moo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:07 pm

I've enjoyed reading your log and am so happy to see your progress . Congrats!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”