Carmody's Log for French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Carmody's Log for French

Postby Carmody » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:48 am

Carmody wrote:
smallwhite
Thank you for your very discerning question. At the moment I would say in general that my limited vocabulary, pronunciation, and Slow Speed of delivery are horribly embarrassing. But you asked for 10 specific examples and I will get to work on answering.

If you already know what your problems are, then you don't need to answer my question. I thought you said

Carmody wrote:
I don't see how I can really progress.
I just don't understand how I can get to B1 from here.

Maybe you've found the answer since. Great!

smallwhite

i think the question you asked is a very discerning and perceptive question. i have not forgotten the question; i am still struggling with the answer. in a sense, those are questions all students should ask themselves. it is easily asked but not easily answered.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:39 am

smallwhite » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Carmody wrote:
smallwhite
Thank you for your very discerning question. At the moment I would say in general that my limited vocabulary, pronunciation, and Slow Speed of delivery are horribly embarrassing. But you asked for 10 specific examples and I will get to work on answering.

If you already know what your problems are, then you don't need to answer my question. I thought you said

Carmody wrote:
I don't see how I can really progress.
I just don't understand how I can get to B1 from here.

Maybe you've found the answer since. Great!

smallwhite

I have not found the answer yet but I have great respect for the question; it is the reason for my delay. You are very kind and perceptive to ask the question. It is a question all students should ask themselves. I find it tremendously perceptive and soul searching to struggle with so I have delayed my response.

Thank you for the question.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:08 am

If you know (or think) your problems are "limited vocabulary, pronunciation, and Slow Speed of delivery" then you can work on them straightaway.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:33 am

smallwhite » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:08 pm
If you know (or think) your problems are "limited vocabulary, pronunciation, and Slow Speed of delivery" then you can work on them straightaway.

smallwhite,

I believe your initial 3 questions are exceptionally astute and discerning.

* am I really A1
* are my expectations really B1
* what is the gap between me and my expectaions
* and thus how to close that gap.

They are in many ways questions each person must ask oneself. It is the answers that are hard to come up with however.

I started today is a list of specific questions and problems that I have and that I will then proceed to categorize. You also asked what it was I really wanted to achieve, which is absolutely necessary to answer in order to move forward. The answer is that I would eventually like to get to B1 but I have neither need nor desire to break any land speed record to get there. I really do want to enjoy the process. Note, I talk (and walk) slowly by nature so speed just is not my thing. Let's face it, I am a Turtle; always was and always will be.

Alliance Française de Westchester, NY:

if... ... then I should probably test for the following CEFR level
A1
I took French for anywhere between 1 and 3 years in High School or College, and never had a
chance to practice and/or In the recent past, I took French lessons for a period of less than a
year, only a few hours a week, and with good results, then ...

I can introduce myself (name, age, occupation, where I live, ... etc.)
I can give and follow directions to a location
I can say what I like today and what I liked yesterday
I can say what I am going to do tomorrow
I can do more than this

A2
I took French for anywhere between 4 and 10 years in High School and College but have not had a chance to practice for a long time and/or In the recent past, I took French lessons for more than a year and less than 2 years with good results, then ...

I can propose, accept or decline an invitation
I can describe in simple terms my background and my environment (my work, my house, my family)
I can state my opinion and elaborate an explanation
I can describe my schedule of activities (yesterday, today and tomorrow)
I can do more than this

B1
I took French for anywhere between 4 and 10 years in school and managed to practice on and off until now (through reading, travels, classes, work assignments...) and/or In the recent past, I took French lessons for more than 3 years and less than 4 years with good results , then

I can carry out a financial or commercial transaction (open an account, purchase a service… )
I can summarize something and relate someone else’s point of view
I can describe hypothetical situations in the past and in the future (what if's)
I can write a review of a book, show, movie, play... etc.
I can do more than this...
I hope this helps.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:30 am

Carmody wrote:... but I have neither need nor desire to break any land speed record to get there. I really do want to enjoy the process. Note, I talk (and walk) slowly by nature so speed just is not my thing. Let's face it, I am a Turtle; always was and always will be.

In case you think I'm born fast and am torturing myself - I'm not. I'm probably the most sloth-like among my friends and family, am detailed and thorough, and take 41 minutes to write a short post like this one. I enjoy my studies, have been at it for 7 years, studying more and more each day rather than having thoughts like "life is short, is this worth it". Judging from this poll, I'm happier with my studies than 93% of members who voted, and as happy as the remaining 7%.
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:57 pm

smallwhite
Thank you so much for your recent post. It is Christmas morning and your words are truly a magnificent gift. Thank you.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Language Learning Methodology 2018

Note:

*This year I am focusing on increasing my oral comprehension.

*The following is a summary as to where I will invest my time.

*One of the big surprises for me is having such helpful and consistent Pen Pals. At least as of
now. They are of great help in pointing out errors.

*I will not be investing time in pronunciation since I do not have any person(s) to speak French
with. This view might offend some people but life is short.

*My overall goal at this point is to be able to learn more about France through its culture and in
particular its literature. The French language is the bridge to that goal.

*A major component to language learning is the "social engineering" that is required. No one lives in a vacuum and everyone needs to respect demands of family and to do chores. No one ever talks about this but I find "social engineering" requires daily balancing.

*I am not in a race to pass a language test within a certain amount of time. Rather my goal is to
"keep on keeping on" and to enjoy the process of it all.

Specific breakdown:
Hours Spent...........Area of Study

TBA.................YouTube Courses, such as:
............................Home Language
............................ Français Authentique
............................ Francais Avec Pierre

xxxxxx..............YouTube Documentaries, such as:
............................ Documentaire Animalier
............................ Secrets d'Histoire Officiel

xxxxxx..............Other
............................ L'Avis de Marie Podcast

xxxxxx.............. Reading of Books; intensive or repeated reading of each book:
............................La grammaire est un chanson douce
............................Le Chateau de ma mère
.............................Plus others........

xxxxxx.............. Pen Pal Correspondence
............................Three French natives with whom I correspond weekly.

xxxxxx.............. Grammar
............................ Multiple sources include such books as:
............................French Verbs and Essentials of Grammar by Simone Oudot
............................Essential French Grammar by Seymour Resnick
5 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

rinv
I wonder if you might be interested in a book by Marie-Bernadette Dupuy called Le chant de l'océan. I read it and found it absolutely exceptional. A bit melancholy, a bit sad, definitely very heart warming. The author has a way of transporting the reader into another space and time, unlike any other I've read. Anyway there are plenty of good books out there, and I'm sure you have a list, but just another one for you to consider if you are looking for something.

So I just got the book in the mail today and should start it probably in February.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. At 558 pages it is longer than I usually read but I hope to hang in and see it through.
Last edited by Carmody on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 am

Carmody wrote:
rinv
I wonder if you might be interested in a book by Marie-Bernadette Dupuy called Le chant de l'océan. I read it and found it absolutely exceptional. A bit melancholy, a bit sad, definitely very heart warming. The author has a way of transporting the reader into another space and time, unlike any other I've read. Anyway there are plenty of good books out there, and I'm sure you have a list, but just another one for you to consider if you are looking for something.

So I just got the book in the mail today and should start it probably in February.

Thanks for any an all suggestions. At 558 pages it is longer than I usually read but I hope to hang in and see it through.

Hope you enjoy it! I was recently thinking of rereading it but I have so many books lined up. I can't wait until If find another I liked as much as that one.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 am

I finished reading the Marie-Bernadette Dupuy book called Le chant de l'océan and found it probably more suitable for women in search of a romance book.

For the record, everyone has their own taste; no one is wrong. I just finished reading La biographie de la faim by A. Nothomb for the third time in 2 years. ..(First time as in extensive reading and then every successive one more intensively) No one I know likes or respects A. Nothomb, but I find her magnificent.

And so it goes.......
Last edited by Carmody on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”