Carmody's Log for French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Carmody's Log for French

Postby Carmody » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:37 pm

Ok, for those who are interested, I am giving up on kwiziq for the time being and going with devoting my time to :

-Essential French Grammar by Resnick
-Grammaire Progressive du Francais by Cle
-French Grammar-A complete Reference Guide-by Calvez
-The Ultimate French Review and Practice by Stillman

The reason is that kwiziq kept quizzing me on il est vs. c'est which is beyond me given the fact that all the pages of rules associated with it have an equal number of pages with exceptions to the rules. So at this point I will leave that learning for later.

I am absolutely sure no one else understands what I am saying, but "I am what I am" and I am moving on....maybe I will return at a later time...
7 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:47 pm

A recent move (MD to NC) disrupted my studies, too. I have chairs but I really need some better lighting. I appreciate that you have shared the details of your reading method, and I'll follow along to see how you progress with the grammar now!
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:39 pm

Elsa Maria »
A recent move (MD to NC) disrupted my studies, too. I have chairs but I really need some better lighting. I appreciate that you have shared the details of your reading method, and I'll follow along to see how you progress with the grammar now Top
Thanks for your understanding. I know it sounds crazy but I need a comfortable chair to study in.
3 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:12 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:A recent move (MD to NC) disrupted my studies, too. I have chairs but I really need some better lighting. I appreciate that you have shared the details of your reading method, and I'll follow along to see how you progress with the grammar now!

I live in NC too!
Welcome to the state!
2 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Stiv_MacRae
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2)

Postby Stiv_MacRae » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm

Carmody wrote:I am logging in the hours but the actual progress in picking up really understanding people when speaking is painfully slow. My progress gives a whole new meaning to the term at a glacial pace. Maybe it will never come. I never met Sisyphus personally but I sure now how he felt. Yes I can understand Emmanuel Macron, but he doesn’t count. He speaks slowly, clearly and uses standard French. I need to understand how real people speak when they speak at speed.

Finally, if anyone wants to make any suggestions on the above, please feel free to do so. This whole arena of listening to French is like learning a new language. So feel free to make your comments.

I feel your pain. I occasionally have to remind myself that language has many purposes. One of them is to communicate with people with whom you want to communicate. Another is not to be understood by anyone else. Street French contains elements of both. It's deliberately obscure. Géraldine at Comme une Française has some very nice videos on this. Personally, I concluded that it's not useful for me to pursue this direction. At my age, I'm never going back to Paris, anyway.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:05 pm

Stiv_MacRae wrote:
Carmody wrote: Personally, I concluded that it's not useful for me to pursue this direction. At my age, I'm never going back to Paris, anyway.

In the same boat, I agree, though there are decent TV shows like Kaamelot and Dix pour cent and some movies I would like to understand.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:30 pm

Carmody wrote:The reason is that kwiziq kept quizzing me on il est vs. c'est which is beyond me given the fact that all the pages of rules associated with it have an equal number of pages with exceptions to the rules. So at this point I will leave that learning for later.

I am absolutely sure no one else understands what I am saying, but "I am what I am" and I am moving on....maybe I will return at a later time...

I just wanted to reassure you by saying that a whole chapter is dedicated to this topic in Grammaire progressive - niveau perfectionnement. In other words, you're expected to find this challenging and to make mistakes up to the most advanced of learner levels. I think - for what it's worth - that you're doing the right thing in parking it and moving on for the time being. You'll have plenty of occasion to revisit it in the future, at which point the additional knowledge you'll have built up should make the topic that bit easier.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:28 pm

Caromarlyse »

You are immensely encouraging; thank you. I need encouragement.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:56 pm

Looking back on 2022 and forward to 2023

2022 Summary

Ok, this year we moved house from NY to PA which was an all- consuming process. Preparing for selling and then selling the house; preparing for moving, and then moving and settling in –all requiring an awful lot of time and focus. It is only today that I have gotten the chairs delivered that I need to sit in it so I can study.

Iversen talked about his personal upheaval and moving house, so I certainly feel for him and what he went through.
With that said, the rough data for the results of my 2022 efforts are these:

1-Reading –1062 pages.

This consisted of such books as:
Vichy, un passé qui ne passe pas by Conan, Rousso 285 pages
Une Vie by Simone Veil, 352 pages
Jeanne d’Arc by Pernoud and Clin 425 pages

2-Oral Input…254 hours; with a big step in comprehension for me

The sources consisted of :
alice ayel
ehoui!
Enquêtes et Reportages
Français avec Fred
Francais avec Pierre
French mornings with Elisa
Home Language
Secrets d’Histoire Officiel
imineo Documentaires
inner French
Investigations et Enquêtes
L'archéologie subaquatique à l'Inrap
L'Avis de Marie
Les Films de Saint Amant
Michel Lebon
Nota Bene
Passe moi les jumelles
Planète RAW
Reportage et Investigation
Secrets d'Histoire Officiel
| SLICE | Tibet, le chemin des vents

3-Vocabulary -on going

4-Grammar -not much

5-Pronunciation- not much

6-Writing- not much

So what do I think of my efforts in 2022:
1-In some ways I am lucky to have made it through as well as I have. Establishing a study habit and rhythm are essential for me and that was not possible in the midst of the chaos of selling the house and moving. Hopefully I can reestablish a new routine now we have moved.

2-As elementary as my Oral Input sources were, it was nevertheless noteworthy that my comprehension has at long last found its land legs, where I did not before. I do think that Passe moi les jumelles is a wonderful podcast and remain puzzled that it does not get the respect from others that I accord it.

3-So what is my motivation and what are my goals. I know I do not want to spend time writing or speaking the French language since I have no one that I can speak with, and yes I know about italki, etc., but there simply is no use for French in rural PA.

So why do I study this language?
Answer: I love the sound of the language as well as what I can learn from its culture through books and movies. The language can have a musical quality to it that is truly special and the contemporary books of fiction and studying its history are things I love learning.

Peter Mollenberg has mentioned the importance of enjoying the learning process and keeping in touch with it constantly and in any way you can, and I think that is excellent advice that I try to follow.

Some friends I know have a French book reading group and have asked if I would like their extra books that they don’t need, so, from this point in time I will be reading anything and everything that comes my way. I believe rdearman has the same thing going with one of his neighbors. I have never been in this situation before so it will be a new experience to just read what is in front of me.

Finally and foremost, a very big thank you to everyone for their comments here and in other threads. I learn greatly as a result of your sharing your journeys with all the successes and of course especially the failures that that entails and count myself fortunate to share in it.

Have a Wonderful 2023 and Stay Healthy!
14 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:50 pm

Carmody wrote:Looking back on 2022 and forward to 2023there simply is no use for French in rural PA.
Having grown up in rural Pennsylvania, this statement brought a smile to my lips. You are right, of course. No use whatsoever.
Your overall progress for last year, considering the disruptions the move caused, is impressive. Especially the lots of listening to an impressive list of sources.
I hear what you're saying about Passe moi les jumelles. I did take a look at one episode and was not as enthralled as you. But one step does not a journey make, and in '23 I will give it another go. Studying Ancient Greek takes a lot of my time and even more of my language-learning energy and motivation. Lately I've been reading and listening to Le temps retrouvé, and yet 20 minutes or so of that per day is all I can really do. I persist because reading the whole novel has been on my bucket list for a long time. Maybe this year I will finish it. And I hope I can spend more time on other French (and Spanish) listening activities. The list of listening sources you give is a great starter kit.
Thanks for your post. Very motivating.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”