gzt's ambling log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: gzt's ambling log

Postby Le Baron » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:16 am

Maybe you could just watch the film? (I'm joking).
1 x

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:35 am

gzt wrote:Started the first few chapters of Les Misérables on LingQ. Interesting, but then i looked at how long the book is. At the rate of one chapter per day via audiobook plus glancing at the text, it'd take forever. If I want to read it, I might switch to just an eBook. On the other hand, a half hour per day would get me through the audio in four months, which is a long time, but not that long. Considering it. But that would eat into other work, even non language related work.

There are lots of spots throughout that are good to stop and take a break for a bit to help you break up your reading. I tackled it slowly that way over a year and a half.
1 x

gzt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (B2), French (B1). Not learning: Sanskrit (A1), Attic Greek (A1), Russian (A1).

Postby gzt » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:48 pm

Okay finished La Eta Princo in Esperanto and up to Livre troisième in Fantine (ie just finished with the bit about Petit-Gervais). Now that they're doing stuff the language is getting a bit more tractable, some of the stuff with the bishop got dense. La Eta Princo was done as audio but I'm reading Les Misérables, audio is too slow. For some parts though I do find myself reading for sense rather than looking up all the unknown words and making sure I'm parsing all the tenses properly.
3 x

gzt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (B2), French (B1). Not learning: Sanskrit (A1), Attic Greek (A1), Russian (A1).

Postby gzt » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Still grinding through Les mis. About 80% of the way through the second book. Saw a pile of Terry Pratchett e-books in French, considered looking at them since I've never read Pratchett but he seems like he's right up my alley, but it's also the sort of thing that's probably better in English. Though once familiar, French would be good.

Haven't been doing as much in Esperanto lately, partly because I haven't been listening to as many podcasts in general and Pola Retradio is in the rotation.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:50 pm

gzt wrote:La Eta Princo was done as audio but I'm reading Les Misérables, audio is too slow.
Sometimes speeding up the audio helps, like while using VLC. If you are not familiar with it, VLC is totally and completely free to download and use.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

gzt
White Belt

Postby gzt » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:43 pm

I glanced at the French translation of Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites, maybe I will give that a whirl, but I'm definitely still grinding through Les mis. Almost done with the second (of 5) books.
2 x

gzt
White Belt

Postby gzt » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Been reading Terry Pratchett stuff for the first time this week and it's eating into my language study. They go fast, it's been a book a day so far. I glanced at the French version of Mortimer but am not sure if I'll keep reading it. The downside of fantasy books is that they have an idiosyncratic vocabulary, for one. Started volume three of Les mis.

Reading the e-book of The Wizard of Oz in Esperanto. Also ordered Enjoy Esperanto and a translation of The Hobbit, I might hop into the C1 Esperanto learning group and challenge once they get into that book because I do want to get up there in my Esperanto. Might even do the test! But I need actual talking practice to get up there. And a bit more vocab.

So the past few weeks of finding public domain e-books in French and then getting other e-books has been my first e-book exposure and use and I must say I quite like it. I am fairly particular about how I like my text (I don't like long lines, I prefer short lines so I can read entire lines at a glance and just move down the page, at least in English) and just cannot trust physical books to deliver this. Getting a physical copy of Les mis in French would also be an ordeal, but getting an e-book is extremely easy. And free. And you have a dictionary right there! I might splurge on an actual e-book reader rather than using an old tablet.
5 x

gzt
White Belt

Postby gzt » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:30 am

Finished Wizard of Oz in Esperanto. Still grinding through Les Misérables. Marius just got kicked out by his grandfather. Almost through assimil though I really haven't done the active phase. What next? The next assimil course.
5 x

gzt
White Belt

Postby gzt » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:18 pm

Did the last lesson of French assimil last night. I haven't done any active wave stuff, I'll plow through that. I have all the lessons in Anki so those will be reviewed regularly. I think I'll wait a couple weeks before moving on to Using French. Give myself some time to get some of the active phase done here first.

Trying to decide what to read next in Esperanto. Whether I'm in an Alice in Wonderland mood or a Hobbit mood. I have the physical book for both. Unfortunately. I've become rather enthusiastic for ebooks over the past couple months.

I'm planning on checking out the local French and Esperanto meetups this year. Not this month though.
6 x

gzt
White Belt

Postby gzt » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:33 am

Just finished Micromégas and then read La messe d'athée, the first two stories in the bilingual reader i have.

EDIT: of course that should be La messe de l'athée
2 x

Return to “Language logs”