Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17/18 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pm

You have to continue or we’ll never know what happens to Roger.
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Do you know about http://bonpatron.com/ for grammar checking?

I need to do what you are doing as well. You are one brave person to do this in public.
4 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:14 pm

reineke wrote:Arnaud also made a mom joke! The joke contained a good observation: one would think you would have transferred something from Italian to avoid errors like "le maman" .
Yeah, in fact when I read "son maman", "le maman" I didn't immediatly understand how it was possible to produce that: mother is (probably?) feminine in all the romance languages, and I'm sure he never ever heard it. So how is it possible?
Well, Rick thinks in english (a big surprise, isn't it :) ) : his mother directly became son maman and by extension son has given birth to le maman.

Same thing for the sentence Ton papa veux simplement tu effrayer, Les humains ne peut pas tu voir. Tu est invisible pour ils ! It's a direct copy/paste of the english you where the accusative of you is you (hence the use of tu instead of te), but the accusative of they is them, so the translation from them to eux hasn't been made.
So we can see some confusion in the use of the pronouns, that's why I suggested a little "targeted work" on them...
Carmody wrote:You are one brave person to do this in public.
Yes, really. Waiting for the sequel of Roger's little adventures... ;)
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:22 pm

He also wrote "sa maman" which made me think he was writing mechanically, without checking his sentences...
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Carmody wrote:Do you know about http://bonpatron.com/ for grammar checking?

Merci. I need more feedback systems (Obviously)
Carmody wrote:You are one brave person to do this in public.

Or stupid. (The more likely option)
Arnaud wrote:Yes, really. Waiting for the sequel of Roger's little adventures... ;)

I think Roger the Dragon is probably going to eat a fox in a future episode. :D
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Yes, rdearman, always do what I suggest.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 pm

1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 pm

rdearman wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:rdearman,
After reading your passage above, well done btw, I think what will help you is to work through a course or two with which you are frequently writing written responses to what would be essentially grammatical questions, the kind which force you to consider how to spell correctly what you are writing and how to construct your phrases in a grammatical correct manner. For this I recommend courses such as French in Action (making use of the workbooks in particular - the videos are a small component of the overall content) or Grammaire Progressive du Français. FIA would be my primary recommendation. Linking phonetics to graphical representation, i.e. 'spelling', goes a long way in helping spelling as well. To understand what you are hearing and then the ways that that sound can be written, well you get the idea I'm sure. I'm sure there's a course out there that may suit your tastes more. I'm not recommending a course because I've done 700 trillion of them, I'm recommending one as I feel it will help you remedy one of your weakest components of French. All in all writing practice is what you need, but around a strict structure. Given the amount of errors in your above text, writing 'freely' at the moment might not be the best move. You could fossilize mistakes, and numerous corrections could leave you exasperated. You need structure! Get a good course with plenty of written exercises and do a bit each day!

I have to write freely, since nobody would pay me! I can't do courses. I realise this is the same thing in reverse which everyone told you. Good advice, but I'm not going to take it. :oops:

You bastard, how could you betray me!! I’m meant to be the outcast here. You also stole my Roger story. I thought of the name Roger, umm like once when I was referring to an actor in conversation from a 007 film! That’s not only blatant disregard for my methods, you’re ruining my character and hard won *cough cough* outstanding reputation here, and obviously using your programming skills to read my thoughts and spy on my conversations too through the camera on my phone! I know coz I’ve seen you do it... or did I dream that? Same diff. That’s abuse of power. Next you’ll be telling me that Roger will be eating a fox in a future installment of my story.

rdearman wrote:I have not been doing anything methodical like this for language learning because I stupidly assumed that if 66.9 million French people could learn French I could too.

They have, and they all used courses! It’s obvious, every time I mention “French in Action” in the presence of French people, which is practically every hour of the day, they go all red and do the same twitching thing every single time. All French people used courses to learn French, it’s obvious. Might not be written in Le Monde (obviously they’re keeping the truth from us outsiders), but I’m telling you now the media is keeping the truth from us and is in on this whole thing. Just look at the names of French journalists, they’r not real!! (Arnaud’s not a real name either - I’ve never heard of anyone in my area called Arnaud! He’s one of them).

Okay, do what you like rdearman, see if I care, but I”m certain you’ll wake up some point down the track and say PM was right, I vote PM for PM and I might be willing to accept your request as my best friend... that’s a distant might, but i’ll have the paper work ready, bastard.
6 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:52 pm

rdearman wrote:
I did attempt to correct the errors on my own. However, it now appears this was a pointless exercise in futility with which I shall not be continuing.

I would argue that the defining characteristic of successful language learners is not their perfect grammar, but their persistence when facing difficulties.

Course study also helps. ;)
6 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:42 am

Kwiziq could be the feedback equivalent of your learning to program method. I know you just read about it in Cavesa's log so I won't expound, but it's *really* excellent at finding and weeding out these types of errors. The French course is very complete.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”