Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Rdearman 2016 - SC, OC, TAC, combined log (ZH, FR, IT, EO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 pm

rdearman wrote:This has gotten me thinking about having a physical media (books, CD, DVD, etc) website for language learners. Some place to swap old books in your native language for books in your target language. Of course postage might be prohibitive, but I've got hundreds of books in English.

I tried to do that once, but it never really took off. I'm not so good at running that kind of thing. However, I'd like to join one.

I'm a bit nervous about the Polyglot Gathering too. I definitely don't feel like much of a polyglot. I can speak two languages reasonably well, and can make a fool of myself in a couple of others, but that's it. And any time I get nervous or excited, I become, maybe not incoherent, but far from fluent in any language. Even in my native language I'll develop a strange accent and people will start asking me where I'm from.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah, and idk if that's obvious but y isn't pronounced like in French. (and specifically in Polish, z isn't pronounced like z much of the time. or do you mean you dislike it visually?)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 pm

It looks like someone stole all the vowels!

I can't afford any more languages.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:53 pm

It looks like someone stole all the vowels!

It must have been the Swedes during the Thirty Years' War. There must be our vowels somewhere among all that stolen art and treasure in their museums, gathering dust. Except for the "O"s. They used our "O"s to adorn their "A"s, no dust on those.
6 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Y is a vowel - it's just not the same one as in French.

Where in Poland did you go? :) Three years ago I went to Warsaw and Wroclaw at this time of the year :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Serpent wrote:Y is a vowel - it's just not the same one as in French.

Where in Poland did you go? :) Three years ago I went to Warsaw and Wroclaw at this time of the year :)

Poznan. The headquarters of our sister company is there. But i didn't really see much other than the hotel and the headquarters buildings. Did spend a couple of hours in the main square, but it was dark and foggy, so could just barely make out the church.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:This has gotten me thinking about having a physical media (books, CD, DVD, etc) website for language learners. Some place to swap old books in your native language for books in your target language. Of course postage might be prohibitive, but I've got hundreds of books in English.

I tried to do that once, but it never really took off. I'm not so good at running that kind of thing. However, I'd like to join one.

I'm a bit nervous about the Polyglot Gathering too. I definitely don't feel like much of a polyglot. I can speak two languages reasonably well, and can make a fool of myself in a couple of others, but that's it. And any time I get nervous or excited, I become, maybe not incoherent, but far from fluent in any language. Even in my native language I'll develop a strange accent and people will start asking me where I'm from.

Yeah, I'm getting very worried about that trip.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Had a strange experiance, my daughter had me writing to an Italian guy she has a date with for a laugh. Turns out he speaks French too, and my daughter got a bit bent out of shape that i was talking to her date more than her, in languages she doesn't understand. LOL. He doesn't do 中文 and my daughter wasn't happy when I installed the chinese keyboard on her phone. Oh well, shouldn't let your dad talk to your dates. Anyway.. "You know your a language geek when you hope your daughters date goes well because he is an Italian who speaks French & Greek."

Not a lot of "language learning" going on for me, just watching Italian TV (il giovanne Monatalbano) and the occasional french film. I'm a bit burned out on anki at the moment, so I'm letting most of the cards lapse again. I always go back later, so it isn't that big a deal for me. I know I should read some grammar books or something, but mostly I just listen to French radio, watch TV and read the occasional book. I'm actually looking forward to the Super Challenge starting, and hoping we can figure out how to host the bot here. I have some books and I keep switching between "I want to read that" and "I'll save if for the Super Challenge". Sad really.

I have managed to get my greedy little hands on a audio book of "Deception Point" by Dan Brown. I have alread read about 1/2 of the paperback I found in a charity shop. So I plan on ripping the audio book to mp3 and loading it on my phone so I can L/R to the book. Means I have to start reading again from the begining, but that isn't really so bad I suppose. Of course... I could save it for the super challenge....

I still have a session with my French tutor and my nieghbour, but these generally just degrade into gossip sessions about the neighbourhood or discussions of the disarray of county council trash collections. But they are at least in French, so probably not all bad. Even now however I have at least one time per lesson where the tutor has to ask me. "Comprendre?" because I'm staring at her blankly. Or I'll start speaking in Italian and both of them just shake their heads at me.

So the plan now is. A bit of LR if I can be bothered. Watch "Spin" tonight in French, watch some more Montalbano, maybe complete a couple of movies I started but didn't complete for various reasons, and if I'm really, really, really bored, try to do some Esperanto. (Sorry Esperanto... but he's just not that into you.)
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:53 pm

I have the same problem. I have so much stuff that I want to read, but I can't decide if I should start reading it now or wait for the Super Challenge and just concentrate more on "real" study for now. I do hope you figure out the bot thing. With so many computer nerds around, it should be possible. Shouldn't it?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I have the same problem. I have so much stuff that I want to read, but I can't decide if I should start reading it now or wait for the Super Challenge and just concentrate more on "real" study for now. I do hope you figure out the bot thing. With so many computer nerds around, it should be possible. Shouldn't it?

Should be possible. Surreal uploaded the majorty of the code except for the database stuff, but I've mostly reverse engineered that part, then converted all the crazy "mac" formated text files into something usable by real computers and I'm hoping to get a prototype going on my home machine soon.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”