Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby rdearman » Wed May 26, 2021 9:52 am

I was watching a few selected items on the Polyglot gathering. TBH I didn't really watch much. I selected 8 to watch, but one turned out to be in German, so that took me down to 7 to watch. One I watched only because it was in French and another because it was in Italian. I had zero interest in the topics they were covering but was just using it for listening practice. So in fact there were only 5 that I wanted to and could watch. I watched the Korean crash course (which was also delivered in French). One about the Romano dialect which was delivered in Italian. I watched an introduction to Rumantsch (a language in Switzerland) because someone (Ogrim) here on the forum did a blog post on the static site about it a long time ago, and it was interesting to me. The final two I booked marked were Mr. Simcott's Cornish talk and talk about Mandarin pronunciation.

The Mandarin pronunciation thing was good, although it was definitely an "Infomercial" for the guy's classes. I only listened to about 30% of Richard's Cornish talk because I was getting bored with the whole gathering online thing at that point, and I knew most of the stuff he was covering since I'd looked into learning Cornish after a few trips to Cornwall (where approximately zero people speak Cornish, in fact it would be easier to find a French or Welsh speaker). I have no heritage language, other than possibly Iroquois from an ancestor about 100 years ago, but since that makes Joe Biden Irish, I suppose that makes me Iroquois. Seriously though, I don't have any interest in minority languages.

So given that two of the 8 talks I mentioned were about minority languages, many of you will say "Actually, you do have an interest in minority languages", so yes, I do have an interest. I like to look at them, kind of like people see an interesting coloured bug and go get a closer look. But I have no interest in learning the language, or making the bug my pet.

I didn't participate in the online chatrooms, since I do 4-5 language exchanges per week and having yet another zoom/skype call isn't really appealing to me.

The best talk for my by far was Gareth Popkins who covered various perspectives on the "speak early and often", v.s. the "listen a lot and speak later" schools of language learning. After watching his talk I looked into some of the people he mentioned like Joe Brown.

So over all the gathering was a bit of a bust for me. I had planned to do a presentation but didn't manage to get all the work done I needed to. I may do it next year.

Let me tell you a little secret, I have been thinking about [[REDACTED]] Don't forget that one of the options for any project you are evaluating should be "do nothing".

In other news, I did start speaking with my Chinese friend and asked her to do some work for me. I decided to try a little experiment. I searched this forum for Bakunin's log. Bakunin had paid someone to draw cartoons, so he could ask people to describe what was shown in the picture. He open-sourced the pictures which you can get here: https://www.aakanee.com/

So I asked my LE partner to allow me to record her describing each of the panels in the page. (And I gave her the English description). So my idea is that next week after I have painstakingly translated, shadowed and memorized what she said I will repeat it back to her next week for corrections. I didn't think this through a lot however, and it is very difficult to figure out what she is saying, let alone translate it into Hanzi. But already I learned a new word through repetition while trying to break up the recording into single pieces. She describes each panel (Bakunin helpfully has them numbered) and the one we used had 20 panels. So 20 times she repeated the word Túpiàn 图片 (Picture or drawing).

That word was easy given the number of iterations over the recording in order to break it into segments. Then I'm listening to each segment trying to translate/transcribe it. Google Translate was of no help to me, but AWS has a transcription mode (which is OK for English, not so great for Mandarin). But having listened to the first segment 20-30 times (only one sentence really) I have posted the segment and my transcription into Hanzi to her for corrections.

In hindsight, it would have been easier to get her to transcribe what she was saying, but this actually seems to work better because it forces me to listen a couple of dozen times. I seem to remember words that I had to work hard for better.
9 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed May 26, 2021 4:55 pm

So you're going to learn Welsh then?

I look forward to reading about your progress. :twisted:
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed May 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Xenops wrote:So you're going to learn Welsh then?

I look forward to reading about your progress. :twisted:

rdearman wrote: I do have an interest. I like to look at them, kind of like people see an interesting coloured bug and go get a closer look. But I have no interest in learning the language, or making the bug my pet.

Eww! Welsh... it's green and has too many LLLLLLLLs
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 am

rdearman wrote:The best talk for my by far was Gareth Popkins who covered various perspectives on the "speak early and often", v.s. the "listen a lot and speak later" schools of language learning. After watching his talk I looked into some of the people he mentioned like Joe Brown.
Did Mr Popkins talk make you change any of your language-learning habits?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu May 27, 2021 3:38 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote:The best talk for my by far was Gareth Popkins who covered various perspectives on the "speak early and often", v.s. the "listen a lot and speak later" schools of language learning. After watching his talk I looked into some of the people he mentioned like Joe Brown.
Did Mr Popkins talk make you change any of your language-learning habits?

No, but it did make me go and shave.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri May 28, 2021 4:24 pm

I don't know if anyone is subscribed to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g

But if you are, have you been getting notifications? Strangely it tells me I have zero subscribers, yet the page is clearly showing a number of subscribers. However, the last 3 videos I posted nobody watched, even though I normally get 10-15 views. So I'm wondering if there is something amiss, or I'm just posting crap and nobody is watching (a very real possibility).

:)
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm watching you right now, making a pocket stove. :lol:
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri May 28, 2021 4:52 pm

rdearman wrote:I don't know if anyone is subscribed to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g
But if you are, have you been getting notifications?

I'm subscribed, but perhaps I didn't hit the bell, so the only notification I get is the blue dot next to your channel. I've never seen your video in any of Youtube's suggestions. I watched some of your films, but not the last ones about making an 8bit computer.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri May 28, 2021 4:55 pm

cjareck wrote:
rdearman wrote:I don't know if anyone is subscribed to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g
But if you are, have you been getting notifications?

I'm subscribed, but perhaps I didn't hit the bell, so the only notification I get is the blue dot next to your channel. I've never seen your video in any of Youtube's suggestions. I watched some of your films, but not the last ones about making an 8bit computer.

Humm... OK, well maybe there isn't a problem. Although it shows zero subscribers in my drop down.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri May 28, 2021 6:18 pm

I watched a few videos and the viewer count hasn't changed, so something is probably up.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”