Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:51 pm

rdearman wrote:I completed 200 films in French, and not only have I now caught up with Brun Ugle, I have passed her. bwahahahahaha... Mainly because I've read more books, but she has still watched more films than me. Not for long though at the rate I'm burning through them. Back when I thought about doing a double-challenge in French & Italian I didn't think I would be able to, but I've done over 100 films in Italian and 200 in French. Reading is a problem, there just doesn't seem anyway for me to get from 64 books in French to 200 by the time the SC ends in December. But I'm going to have a go!

That reminds me, I forgot to add the most recent book I read and I meant to check the number of pages when I was at the library today, but I forgot that too.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 pm

rdearman wrote:
Arnaud wrote:The dictée and the transcription are not the same thing: The dictée is specifically said slowly, usually each sentence is repeated several times, and the text contains little grammatical traps to test the knowledge of the students. The transcription is to write the text of any speech or dialog, etc.
It's not the same competence: the transcript can be difficult if the speaker doesn't articulate, speaks fast or if there are background noises.
YOu can choose any show with precise CC or subtitles and turn them off to make a transcription. Then turn them on to check the transcription.

OK, thanks for the clarification, I understand now the difference. I haven't done any dictée in that case, I'm doing transcription. The problem is I'm using videos from my hard drive (*.mp4) files with no .srt. I'm transcribing old cartoons of Valerian & Laureline but I can't find sub-titles or transcriptions. Still just the intensive listening, and repeating bits again and again help me train the ear. Also I've watched these cartoons at least 4 times each and I've gotten the "gist" of them, but now I wanted to make sure I understand all of them. They are forty 26-minute episodes and it is something I can watch repeatedly without wanting to suicide. :)

Rdearman, I don't know about that software you are using to transcribe the cartoons but if you drop them into Subtitleedit you can transcribe them in that and spit out an srt file ready for subs2srs and anki cards - if you are interested in going that way.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Rdearman, I don't know about that software you are using to transcribe the cartoons but if you drop them into Subtitleedit you can transcribe them in that and spit out an srt file ready for subs2srs and anki cards - if you are interested in going that way.

Sorry for the confusion. The software I use doesn't do the transcription for you. It just let's you listen to the audio and type out what you are hearing. It has some nice features like speed up, slow down, skip back, skip forward, etc. but you have to do the work! The reason I wanted some srt files were just to check my listening comprehension,

This software does allow you to insert timestamps of the sentences, so I could output an srt file, but I'm only looking to check my work. I use subtitled is all the time and I've made a ton of subs2srs cards. Which reminds me I need to put up a link to my instructions for how to make subs2srs and install substudy on Windows.

This software is mostly used by vbloggers who want to make transcript of their YouTube video or podcasts. I use it just because it has shortcut keys to do everything and you don't need to put your hand on the mouse which is a bonus for touch typing.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 am

rdearman wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Rdearman, I don't know about that software you are using to transcribe the cartoons but if you drop them into Subtitleedit you can transcribe them in that and spit out an srt file ready for subs2srs and anki cards - if you are interested in going that way.

Sorry for the confusion. The software I use doesn't do the transcription for you. It just let's you listen to the audio and type out what you are hearing. It has some nice features like speed up, slow down, skip back, skip forward, etc. but you have to do the work! The reason I wanted some srt files were just to check my listening comprehension,

This software does allow you to insert timestamps of the sentences, so I could output an srt file, but I'm only looking to check my work. I use subtitled is all the time and I've made a ton of subs2srs cards. Which reminds me I need to put up a link to my instructions for how to make subs2srs and install substudy on Windows.

This software is mostly used by vbloggers who want to make transcript of their YouTube video or podcasts. I use it just because it has shortcut keys to do everything and you don't need to put your hand on the mouse which is a bonus for touch typing.

Rdearman, there was no confusion - I understood that the software you were using doesn't do the transcription for you. I was suggesting that you drop YouTube cartoons into Subtitleedit and type the subtitles into it yourself - if you want. Sounds like the software you currently use also does that. Cheers.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:01 am

Ah!!! Je comprend.

:)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 pm

1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:33 pm

reineke wrote:
rdearman wrote:Ah!!! Je comprend.

:)

http://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/du/ ... rendre.php

Typical American, I spelt it like it sounds.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Don't feel bad about it. It's ok to make mistakes etc. I do believe you need to be more careful.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm

reineke wrote:Don't feel bad about it. It's ok to make mistakes etc. I do believe you need to be more careful.

Yes, very true. Output is a bit of a bug bear, so just need to do more. Thanks for the link, btw.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:28 pm

rdearman wrote:
reineke wrote:Don't feel bad about it. It's ok to make mistakes etc. I do believe you need to be more careful.

Yes, very true. Output is a bit of a bug bear, so just need to do more. Thanks for the link, btw.

The nouvelobs conjugation tool is also available as a phone app, handy for conjugations on the go.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”