Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote: Basically doing the same old stuff and chatting with people.
I was watching a video about "improving listening skills" earlier, and you cropped up in the Q&A bit asking for exercises to improve listening (34m26s into video). The speaker suggested shadowing, dictation, and repetition.

Did you try these? Did you see a benefit?

Strange case of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon lol but I just read about Ari's Chinesepod method and he mentioned shadowing as one of the steps in his method for improving listening comprehension.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote: Basically doing the same old stuff and chatting with people.
I was watching a video about "improving listening skills" earlier, and you cropped up in the Q&A bit asking for exercises to improve listening (34m26s into video). The speaker suggested shadowing, dictation, and repetition.

Did you try these? Did you see a benefit?

Sort of. I've used a program called WorkAudioBook to put some phrases on repeat to try and improve my accent. But for listening I'm still mostly just watching TV.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby rdearman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I have done a lot of Language Exchanges, so nothing really interesting to report. Not only have I forgotten how many LE I have done, I am at the point where I cannot remember who I spoke to who about. Anyway, had a few long conversations. This morning I had to take my daughter to a Dentist appointment and doing a LE in the parking lot while waiting for her to finish. This was interesting because it made me discover a lot of holes in my vocabulary. It was very difficult for me to explain my own trip to the dentist the previous week, and to explain what was being done for my daughter. Fillings, holes, cavities, dentist drills, and many other words I didn't know or were unsure of. I think I should get back into the habit of "narrating my day" in my target language. I used to do this in Italian and it is quickly apparent which words you don't know.

The LE this morning was very frustrating because of all the unknown words. Because the person with whom I was speaking has a lesser vocabulary in English than my French it was hard to explain what I meant without using English. Of course she was as unfamiliar with English dental vocabulary as I was with the French, so it was a struggle to say the least. Since I was outside there was a lot going on, barking dogs, people shopping, etc. and I attempted to describe my surroundings, so this also flagged up a lot of words I couldn't remember in French. Barking, dog leads, mobility scooters, benches, parking payment machines. Lucky although I didn't know the specific words, I knew enough to describe them and she filled in the blanks. The barking dog was easy, since I just let her listen to the dog!

I have been working away at my Italian books each night. Probably not going to get the 100 actual books completed, but I'm likely to breeze the SC definition of 100 books. I've also transferred a lot of Italian TV shows on to my phone so that I can watch them when I feel like it. I have seen them all before, and so I can spend more time concentrating on the dialogue and ignore the action. Plus these don't have sub-titles, so I'm forced to figure out what they are saying.

I haven't done any Setswana since the 6WC stopped, mostly because of burn-out and I certainly didn't manage the homework assignment! Other than my anki deck, but I almost always manage the anki deck.

I really need to get some podcasts or audiobooks on the phone to listen too. Problem is of course that I haven't found any really good content in Italian or French for podcasts. There are a lot of "news" podcasts in French or Italian, but I don't listen to the news in any language since anything newsworthy is normally depressing. I might need to find some kind of documentary things about history, or nature.

Mandarin is being kept alive mostly through Clozemaster. I do like Clozemaster and so I think I might switch to using it more for Italian and French. Mainly because they have grammar sections (at least for Italian, haven't looked at the French yet).

OK, that was my super quick update. I have an Italian LE scheduled in 5 minutes time! Ciao!
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18 [Remember if we get caught, I'm deaf and you don't speak English]

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:02 pm

rdearman wrote:I really need to get some podcasts or audiobooks on the phone to listen too. Problem is of course that I haven't found any really good content in Italian or French for podcasts. There are a lot of "news" podcasts in French or Italian, but I don't listen to the news in any language since anything newsworthy is normally depressing. I might need to find some kind of documentary things about history, or nature.

The history podcasts:
https://player.fm/series/la-marche-de-lhistoire
https://player.fm/series/la-fabrique-de-lhistoire

French Slate:
http://www.slate.fr/podcasts/

Binge - different:
https://www.binge.audio

There are a bunch of tech, history and culture one if these aren't your cup of tea.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 pm

You might like Le Plan Culinaire for French podcasts? (I came across it on Spotify but I reckon it'll be available in other places too). The two women have lovely clear voices and it's all about food! What's not to like? There's currently only a couple of episodes though, sadly.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:14 pm

'Une vie, une oeuvre' is sort of a 1 hour biog of various famous types.

Two episodes you might like are Frédéric Dard (author of the San Antonio series) and Leo Malet (author of Nestor Burma series)
2 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:44 am

La marche de l’histoire is my new go to podcast since I’ve outgrown Le Journal en Francais Facile. A nice variety of topics, mostly history, but sometimes geography or culture, and the host has a really nice relaxing voice. There is always a guest so you get to hear a variety of voices. Good stuff.
4 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 pm

I sampled the large number of the podcast that people suggested for me. Most of the podcasts weren't really up my street. I don't feel personally that a political event is actually a historical event necessarily. I am a bit of a foodie so the suggestions for the food podcast was really quite good. I do appreciate all the other suggestions it's just they didn't seem really to fit for me.

I have been speaking outside of the forum to quite a few polyglots. I've been asking questions about listening comprehension. I have a real problem with listening comprehension and I'm not really sure why. I suspect that it is a lot of different factors combined. For example my hearing isn't particularly good after a number of years working on jet aircraft. Another problem of course is that I don't do it enough. I used to watch a lot of television last year it has tailed off recently.

The suggested corrections for this problem included a lot of hard work. At the moment because of my disillusionment with languages a lot of hard work doesn't really appeal to me. This presents a conundrum which I'm not actually sure what I'm going to do to solve. Although I don't mind doing the work for Italian I certainly am not prepared to do that amount of work for French.

Someone told me recently that they were amazed at how far I gotten with French since it was a language that I actively dislike. The suggestion was to switch back to Italian and throw French away. This line of thinking appeals to me however the problem is that I still have the sunken cost fallacy in my head. Another issue is that I have actually met the odd French person that I wouldn't mind speaking to. It isn't that much of a problem because they all want to speak English.

Mandarin and Setswana are still fun languages because they're in the beginner's stages. That honeymoon period when it all seems to be going wonderfully and your learning lots and lots. French and Italian however have me in the intermediate doldrums. The horrible place where you need to work really really hard to see any significant increase in ability. Another issue which seems to be derailing my language learning is a very stupid reason. It is because I have too much free time! You would think that if you had a lot of free time then your language learning could progress quite rapidly. However my problem is that I'm not using this time for language learning.

The reason I'm not using this time wisely is because I have no structure around which to work at the moment. Previously when commuting I always had 2 hours a day at least where I had time to myself to spend on language learning. Now because I don't have that structure and I have to mplement a structure for myself. I haven't been using the time efficiently. However, while I have done lots of languages exchanges recently these don't seem to help in the improvement in other areas. Many people have noted more fluidity in my speech in both French and Italian but this doesn't help with things like listening comprehension. I do understand better when I'm speaking one to one with someone but not as well as I would like. And I certainly don't deal well with television broadcasts.

Some of the suggestions which I have received have been.
Transcriptions
Pronunciation practice
Vocabulary expansion
And of course that old tired worn out advice of "just listen more".

So basically I don't know what I'm going to do. What I know I must do in order to improve is set myself up a schedule and maintain a more rigorous application of time management. I need to spend sometime being a bit more pedantic and a bit more rigorous in my methods.

So if anybody else has got any advice about getting out of the intermediate doldrums or improving listening comprehension I'd be very grateful for any advice. And some point in the future Dave and I might make a podcast about this very topic and it would be nice to actually have some answers. :D

Just a quick update on what I've done this week. Not a lot. A large number of the language exchanges I had planned have fallen through mostly because people had other things to do, which was fine. So this was actually a very strange week for me because I only did two language exchanges. Where as normally I would do two language exchanges a day minimum.
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Mr. Miyagi: [sighs] Rick-san, must talk. [they both kneel] Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, [makes squish gesture] get squish just like grape. Here, French listening, same thing. Either you French listening do "yes", or French listening do "no". You French listening do "guess so", [makes squish gesture] just like grape. Understand?

If the the hard work seems like hard work, start small, how did you get to run a marathon? Or take a break. Do something else for a little while (sunk cost isn't totally lost if you take a 6 week pause).
9 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 am

A disappointing week this week. I had only two language exchanges, one French & one Italian. I had about 5 lined up for today but I have had to cancel them all because I have people visiting this week (they arrive tonight) and I have a ton of crap left to do before they get here. In addition, this means all my time until Saturday is sucked up and I can't do anything for the rest of the week. So, I'm a bit annoyed and will actually be glad when they leave (in the nicest possible way).
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”