Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Arnaud » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm

rdearman wrote:
Arnaud wrote:
rdearman wrote:I was thinking about finding Stephen Kings, Dark Tower series in French. I've read it all in English, so I'm familiar, they are long books, and I'm already familiar with his writing style. But I couldn't find them on Amazon, or rather I couldn't find a French translation on Amazon. I don't read horror books outside of King's books. Anyway I need to find an interesting book to get into in French.

Is it that?

YES! You're a star! Thanks.

To find the other volumes, type La Tour Sombre (Tome X), and replace X by the number you want and you should find all the books easily.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Arnaud wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Arnaud wrote:
rdearman wrote:I was thinking about finding Stephen Kings, Dark Tower series in French. I've read it all in English, so I'm familiar, they are long books, and I'm already familiar with his writing style. But I couldn't find them on Amazon, or rather I couldn't find a French translation on Amazon. I don't read horror books outside of King's books. Anyway I need to find an interesting book to get into in French.

Is it that?

YES! You're a star! Thanks.

To find the other volumes, type La Tour Sombre (Tome X), and replace X by the number you want and you should find all the books easily.

Merci. J'ai achete leur tout. :)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 am

OK, I have some really important stuff to do, so rather than do that I've decided to procrastinate and write stuff in this log.

Some progress in the French work. I've bought all those Stephen King books, and I also grabbed a book which I saw in Tarvos' log called Les rois maudits just for good measure. I'm going off on a walking holiday Saturday and I'm planning to leave all my electronic crap behind me except for the kindle to read some at night. I've started the first book of the Dark Tower in French and as I suspected I'm better with the translated books. I also read the first chapter of "Don Quixote" but I'm going to re-read it before I have a discussion with my French friend about it. We've rescheduled our chat for the weekend I get back.

Not really going to get any French in next week outside of the book reading. I'm humming and hawing about taking the phone with me in order to use anki. I can do all my anki cards, but then again people can call me, which I would rather avoid. I'll probably end up taking it just because of the anki cards, I can always just ignore the emails and phone calls.

I've noticed that I'm getting a bit burned out on French, so this might be a problem. Actually the problem seems to be that I'm burned out on the shows I've been watching and I have a couple of films I'm watching just because they are in French. They a bone numbing boring, but I keep forcing myself to watch them. To tell you how painful they are; I've been watching these two films for over 4 weeks and they are only 90 minutes each. Probably just total up my time on them today and stick them on my SC score and delete them.

I think I need to find a series like the Hardy Boys in French. When I was doing Italian I found a trove of Hardy Boy books and read at least 20 of them. They have all the same characters and they are written for YA, so not complex language. It was a real boost to my Italian reading and vocabulary.

I'm struggling less with numbers because of constant practice with the anki deck.

OK, better get off and do that important stuff now. :geek:
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:45 pm

rdearman wrote:I think I need to find a series like the Hardy Boys in French. When I was doing Italian I found a trove of Hardy Boy books and read at least 20 of them. They have all the same characters and they are written for YA, so not complex language. It was a real boost to my Italian reading and vocabulary.
One of the posters on Les Voyageurs has mentioned the Animorphs series.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:15 pm

I personally strongly recommend against using content you're not interested in. Find content you like and work with that. You're allowed to be much more demanding with the content you use.

This is why you'll never see me reading loads of chick lit. I just don't find it interesting. Horror movies also don't figure on my list, because they're not my thing.

Part of the way to go along with the SC is to find content you like. If you don't like it, drop it like a hot potato.
6 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:50 pm

DaveBee wrote:
rdearman wrote:I think I need to find a series like the Hardy Boys in French. When I was doing Italian I found a trove of Hardy Boy books and read at least 20 of them. They have all the same characters and they are written for YA, so not complex language. It was a real boost to my Italian reading and vocabulary.
One of the posters on Les Voyageurs has mentioned the Animorphs series.

Thanks I'll check that out. :)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:57 pm

tarvos wrote:I personally strongly recommend against using content you're not interested in. Find content you like and work with that. You're allowed to be much more demanding with the content you use.

This is why you'll never see me reading loads of chick lit. I just don't find it interesting. Horror movies also don't figure on my list, because they're not my thing.

Part of the way to go along with the SC is to find content you like. If you don't like it, drop it like a hot potato.

Yeah, you are of course correct. I used to have a bad habit of reading books to the end in English even if I didn't like them. However, I did a little math and worked out that if I spent all day every day of my life reading, I would probably never complete all the books by authors which I know I like, let alone all the crap I don't like. I need to follow this through with other languages too. :)

I hate horror movies too. Couldn't ever see the point of them.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 pm

Tarvos is right! Get rid of the books and movies you dislike! Get rid of them before it's too late!

I know it's difficult. I tend to finish books I don't like too but I have already had to close a few. Sometimes, I just need a longer break, sometimes it is a final goodbye. It is rarer with movies and tv series but it still happens. My boyfriend and I had to turn Despicable Me 3 off just a few days ago. And I gave up on Arrow despite loving superhero movies and tv series, it just got so bad after a few seasons! But life is too short to devour enough books and movies we like, we cannot waste time on stuff we don't.
7 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 am

rdearman wrote:Some progress in the French work. I've bought all those Stephen King books, and I also grabbed a book which I saw in Tarvos' log called Les rois maudits just for good measure. I'm going off on a walking holiday Saturday and I'm planning to leave all my electronic crap behind me except for the kindle to read some at night. I've started the first book of the Dark Tower in French and as I suspected I'm better with the translated books. I also read the first chapter of "Don Quixote" but I'm going to re-read it before I have a discussion with my French friend about it. We've rescheduled our chat for the weekend I get back.

I started the first of Les Rois Maudits and have really been enjoying it (although I haven't been reading anything for a few weeks). I found it a bit harder at first, because I don't know enough about the time period, which made the French feel more incomprehensible. But I got really into it soon enough. Let us know what you think!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Back from a nice relaxing walking holiday in Cornwall. Lovely place with lots of walks along the cliffs and beaches. Didn't do much with French other than reading The Dark Tower in French and doing my anki reps. I've managed to get just short of 100 pages into the book just touching on it for a few minutes before going to bed each nice. I was in bed very early and couldn't really read much, I was exhausted from all the walking!

I watched a stand-up comedian last night when I got home which was in French and I understood most of it, and understood enough to laugh at some of the jokes. I have no idea if I'm improving, but I've decided not to worry about it much and just plough on each day. I'm sure that I was better at French before during the last Super Challenge, so I'm not really sure why I'm bouncing up to my previous level? Or perhaps I misremember the past, or misgauging my current ability. Who knows.

I do need more output, and I need to fire up the chats with my French friends on facebook, etc.

The spammers seem to have read my previous posts and we're now getting a deluge of spam, some of which is in French. Doesn't stop me banning them, but at least it makes the chore slightly less annoying.
10 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”