Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Stelle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:26 pm

I have so much catching up to do!

I'm interested in seeing where you go with your project. I read your other thread (about watching extensively), and I'm not sure it's quite so easy as slapping a number of hours per CEFR level - but I'm interested in seeing where this informal research takes you!

Also...thanks for bringing up Star Trek dubbed in Italian on Netflix. I was thinking about leaving Italian aside for now, but that actually sounds like a fun way to keep learning informally. Which series has the best dubbing, in your opinion?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Stelle wrote:I have so much catching up to do!

I'm interested in seeing where you go with your project. I read your other thread (about watching extensively), and I'm not sure it's quite so easy as slapping a number of hours per CEFR level - but I'm interested in seeing where this informal research takes you!

Also...thanks for bringing up Star Trek dubbed in Italian on Netflix. I was thinking about leaving Italian aside for now, but that actually sounds like a fun way to keep learning informally. Which series has the best dubbing, in your opinion?

Probably Star Trek Next Generation, I haven't yet looked at Deep Space Nine, but Enterprise & Voyager are good. I'd have to say the sub-titles aren't accurate for any of the ones I've watched so far, but they aren't so bad you'd be lost. The subtitles have a tendency to summarise.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 am

Maybe with adequate tech support, I could manage to figure out the subtitles thingy. I haven't ever looked at it very carefully. I just always figured it sounded hard and too techy for me.

And if you need a bad language learner to round out your control group, I did say I'd be willing to be in the control group too. I've spent some 25 years trying and failing to learn Japanese, so that would balance out Judith, Iversen and the others. Though actually, I think most of the highly talented polyglots at the Gathering already know French, so you're probably safe. You'll probably end up with people that don't know a lot of languages already since most people seem to learn French as one of their first few languages. Last year it seemed like everyone was speaking French all the time there.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon May 01, 2017 9:45 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe with adequate tech support, I could manage to figure out the subtitles thingy. I haven't ever looked at it very carefully. I just always figured it sounded hard and too techy for me.

And if you need a bad language learner to round out your control group, I did say I'd be willing to be in the control group too. I've spent some 25 years trying and failing to learn Japanese, so that would balance out Judith, Iversen and the others. Though actually, I think most of the highly talented polyglots at the Gathering already know French, so you're probably safe. You'll probably end up with people that don't know a lot of languages already since most people seem to learn French as one of their first few languages. Last year it seemed like everyone was speaking French all the time there.

I was planning on writing up something to post either on the wiki, or on the blog here just to walk people through it with a ton of screen shots. I might use you as a victim beta-tester for that. There is so much work and preparation still to be done, and I haven't even booked my tickets yet for the gathering. :cry:
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe with adequate tech support, I could manage to figure out the subtitles thingy. I haven't ever looked at it very carefully. I just always figured it sounded hard and too techy for me.

I was planning on writing up something to post either on the wiki, or on the blog here just to walk people through it with a ton of screen shots. I might use you as a victim beta-tester for that. There is so much work and preparation still to be done, and I haven't even booked my tickets yet for the gathering. :cry:

Sure, I'll be your victim. That way I can learn the technique and use it for my other languages even if I end up in the control group for French.

Don't worry if the whole project isn't perfectly planned before the Gathering. Just make the start date a little later. It might be better to start after summer anyway. People might be taking vacations and things in the summer and not want to start then.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon May 01, 2017 4:14 pm

I don't think I could do two hours a day (I barely manage that in Russian, which is my degree!) otherwise I'd love to give this a go.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon May 01, 2017 7:58 pm

Well, the thing is it is an experiment really, so perhaps I shouldn't dictate how much time people should spend? It would be better to ask people to record the time they spent and then in the evaluation phase by a native speaker all the results could be accumulated and studied. It may be possible to get the same results with 1/2 the hours spent. I don't know, because I've never done it before.

You've all give me a lot to think about. Anyone know any public domain movies with English & French subtitles? :D
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu May 04, 2017 9:07 am

sigh, took two listening comprehension tests at dialangweb, and now I don't even know why I bother trying to learn a language. I'm obviously not very good at it. I managed only a B1 in Italian, and I gave up part way through the French because I was going to get a result of -A3 assuming there was a scale where you could actually go backwards. I think I should probably now just realise learning languages is just too difficult and concentrate on trying to learn a simpler subject like brain surgery, or rocket science, or calculus.
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am

rdearman wrote:B1 in Italian

What kind of listening activities have you done? TV, L-R, subs+Anki, etc.
How many hours of each?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu May 04, 2017 10:35 am

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:B1 in Italian

What kind of listening activities have you done? TV, L-R, subs+Anki, etc.
How many hours of each?

Mostly just binge watching TV. I've probably done 200 films worth, so about 300 hours. I've done anki cards with audio, but probably only ~5 hours in total. I've listened to one or two audio books and a lot of podcasts.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”