Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Re: Rdearman 2016-23 I’m not superstitious, just a little stitious.

Postby lavengro » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:01 pm

rdearman wrote: So I asked, 한국어로 어떻게 말해요? (How do you say it in Korean) and held up the gimbap she'd just handed me. She looked really confused, and then leaned over to show me how to open the packaging. But I said, "No, how do you say it in Korean?" and she finally processed that I was speaking in Korean.

Not Korean, but perhaps the same thing occurring in Japanese:

https://youtu.be/bX6LojkJCsU
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm

lavengro wrote:
rdearman wrote: So I asked, 한국어로 어떻게 말해요? (How do you say it in Korean) and held up the gimbap she'd just handed me. She looked really confused, and then leaned over to show me how to open the packaging. But I said, "No, how do you say it in Korean?" and she finally processed that I was speaking in Korean.

Not Korean, but perhaps the same thing occurring in Japanese:

https://youtu.be/bX6LojkJCsU

That happened to me when I was stationed in Okinawa. I was a smoker at the time, and I went on a road trip with my friend Steve. Steve was from Hawaii and his family background was Japanese, but he didn't speak any, even his parents spoke only English. I think he was like 3-4th generation Hawaiian. Anyway, I walked into a convenience store with Steve and I asked the woman for a lighter. They were in the glass case right in front of her, I pointed at it and said "Lighter", I found out later the word for lighter is ライター (pronounced like lighter, but with the L as a R). She just kept looking at me. I showed her my (non-functional Bic Lighter) pointed to the dozen or so lighters directly in front of her, and even jabbed my finger down repeatedly over the lighters.

She kept looking at Steve, then asking him something in Japanese, probably waiting for him to burst out in some Japanese. Meanwhile, he was just getting angry. (He had a bad temper) and just started saying, "I don't speak Japanese! He wants a &*&% lighter!"

Eventually we got back to the base and I got a light for my smoke. He was angry the whole trip back, raving about how everyone expects him to translate, I was angry because I was having nicotine withdraws. You've probably correctly inferred that the lighter in my cheap crap car was broken. The next day I asked one of the Japanese guys who worked with us the word for lighter and he told us ライター (which just sounds like lighter) and Steve lost his mind. Actually, that was pretty funny now that I think about it.
10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:18 pm

I have a cousin who is half-Japanese and despite being raised in the United States actually speaks fluent Japanese. (Mom spoke it to her from day one.) She currently lives in Japan. While she looks plenty Asian to me, Japanese people think she is white. More than once she has had Japanese people in Japan ask her, in the middle of a *Japanese* conversation, if she has any plans to learn Japanese… You can’t win.
10 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:19 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:More than once she has had Japanese people in Japan ask her, in the middle of a *Japanese* conversation, if she has any plans to learn Japanese… You can’t win.

That's obscene!
0 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:45 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:More than once she has had Japanese people in Japan ask her, in the middle of a *Japanese* conversation, if she has any plans to learn Japanese… You can’t win.

That's obscene!

I think the Japanese people truly couldn’t process that a foreigner was speaking Japanese. Unconscious bias, not malice.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:58 am

Italian
Not a lot happening, I need to pick this up again and contact my Italian LE partners. Although I will be inundated with conversation requests. I've been watching a lot of Italian TV series on channel 4 here in the UK. But I've watched all but one of them to the end of the series.

French
Spoke to nobody! But did get a message from one LE partner thanking me for talking to her, seems she managed to pass her college English exams.

Korean
Most of my Korean LE were cancelled for this week, although I have two scheduled today, I think only one will probably go ahead since I've had no response from the other fellow.

Those new cloze deletion cards have rapidly become a pain in the proverbial. The other cards are taking a lot of time, even though I am really only flipping through them. The two decks I concentrate on are the words from my conversations and the cloze deletion deck. So rather than have anki become a torture machine, I'm seriously considering removing all the Korean decks except for those two, and pruning the crap out of the conversation deck. I do get cards for things I already know, and for sentences I'm probably not going to use ever again. Although, if I used it once in a conversation, I might need it again. This of course is my "hoarding mentality" and I should just ignore it.

I have a lot of resources which I haven't even looked at yet. I'm doing a lot of writing practice just by writing out these verbs 25 times each. But honestly, not a lot of them are sticking. They pop up in the anki deck, and so they are slowly starting to take root in my brain just because of near constant usage. But it takes longer than it should. I sometimes wonder why I'm putting myself through this?

I've watched a lot of Korean shows, and this week is 52 consecutive weeks, or one year solid. I've managed to watch 322 films (or equivalent), which is 483 hours of Korean, so I am getting pretty close to disproving that whole, "just watch TV" theory of language learning bollocks.

General Stuff
I've been trying to get my reading back on track, I've managed to get a couple more books knocked out, and I've picked some smaller volumes to read. Having 3 enormous books on the go at the same time didn't help with my statistics!

I've parked the writing, mainly because I was getting a bit bored with what I was writing. Need to work on something else, probably, and have the ability to rotate. I used to like writing, now it is a chore. I'll get back to it soon.
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:57 pm

Well still reading, but none of the completed books are in any other language other than English! When I do eventually complete some of them the red bar will start from start of the year almost to the end. But at least I am knocking out some of the smaller books. I do track the length of time it takes me to read, maybe I should do a chart of pages per day? :geek: Oh and a comparison of reading speeds fiction vs non-fiction! :ugeek: Or many I should just read more books. :lol:

Q1.Q2.2023.Reading.png

Edit: Actually one of them is in Italian, so doing better than I thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:24 pm

rdearman wrote:Well still reading, but none of the completed books are in any other language other than English! When I do eventually complete some of them the red bar will start from start of the year almost to the end. But at least I am knocking out some of the smaller books. I do track the length of time it takes me to read, maybe I should do a chart of pages per day? :geek: Oh and a comparison of reading speeds fiction vs non-fiction! :ugeek: Or many I should just read more books. :lol:

Charts are fun, but yeah, reading more books is better! :lol:
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon May 01, 2023 1:24 pm

I wrote an OpenAI python script that will generate flashcard notes (csv file) which you can look at on my GitHub page. https://github.com/rdearman/OpenAIFlashcards

You'll need an Open AI Secret key, but you can get $5 worth of free credit. I ran about 100 queries, and I'm only used up $0.72 so far. It never gives you more than 250 answers, but it works OK, and you can put in any topic you want. Korean verbs, History of Art, anatomy, whatever you want.

If you use it, and you have questions, open a ticket on the GitHub page, I don't want to do any support here in my language log. :D
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu May 11, 2023 9:32 am

Italian
No exchanges this week.

French
I had one LE this week, but it was in English because I was lazy and didn't insist on speaking in French.

Korean
I had one or two LE this week, with a dedicated 15–20 minutes of Korean only. More word grist for the anki mill. Other than Anki I haven't been doing a lot of study. We had a visitor from the USA this week, so didn't really get any opportunity for study other than doing 30–90 minutes of anki reps.

The vast majority of my time is taken doing the cloze deletion cards. They are super time-consuming because I have to listen hard, and frequently listen repeatedly in order to get the word. And when I do get it, I frequently misspell it. About a week after I started these cloze cards, I scaled them back from 15 new cards to 5 per day. It was like drinking from a fire hose.

I did have an opportunity to have a Korean person stay with me for a "workaway" sort of thing, but unfortunately couldn't put them up for the months they were in the UK. :( That sucks because they were going to give me 4 hours of Korean lessons per day. Oh well, maybe next time.

General Stuff
I've been trying to read books as much as possible and catch up to where I should be at this point. I should have read 44 books by now to be on target, but I've only done 25. I have decided to focus on some shorter books in the list, rather than the giant tomes I have been working through.

Otherwise, not a lot to report.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”