Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016-23 I’m not superstitious, just a little stitious.

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:46 pm

pinkyslippers wrote:Wishing you a speedy recovery!

You probably know this already but you can get the Sejong Korean textbooks for free online - some links here, and Prof Yoon has a great playlist to go with them.

Edited to add: sorry it may be the same textbook you are talking about. Iowa threw me off but I think there are affiliated Sejong Institutes all over the world :)

No, this is a different book I think: https://doi.org/10.25820/work.006180

I did have the links for the Sejong Institute, but I never registered. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:14 am

rdearman wrote:Italian
Everything cancelled, and nothing done. (Covid)

French
If you want to watch some telly while convalescing on the sofa, Channel 4 have two new Italian series, Inspector Ricciardi (v.good), and Don't leave me (not so good, but lots of pretty buildings :-)), and a good French-Canadian one The Wall.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:26 am

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote:Italian

French
If you want to watch some telly while convalescing on the sofa, Channel 4 have two new Italian series, Inspector Ricciardi (v.good), and Don't leave me (not so good, but lots of pretty buildings :-)), and a good French-Canadian one The Wall.

Cool, I'll check them out. I only just went back and watched all the Rocco stuff. :)
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:16 pm

I also had COVID this week… Which was unfortunate because it was also the week my parents were visiting from out of state. They still came over, but I was stuck in the basement while my kids visited with them upstairs. I took this opportunity to practice my caveman Korean, which went something like this:

“I have a dad. I can’t see him. I’m sick. I’m sad.”

Only somehow it was even clunkier in Korean… Anyway, just wanted to offer some COVID/Caveman solidarity! 파이팅!
4 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:08 pm

Are you vaccinated? I was unlucky enough to get Covid before the vaccination was properly rolled out so it was awful and I still live with the sequelae. I've never had anything since and never got vaccinated because they kept postponing it and telling me to wait.

I think I was about 4 months into Spanish then did nothing for a long time. Couldn't get out of bed.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 pm

Le Baron wrote:Are you vaccinated? I was unlucky enough to get Covid before the vaccination was properly rolled out so it was awful and I still live with the sequelae. I've never had anything since and never got vaccinated because they kept postponing it and telling me to wait.

I think I was about 4 months into Spanish then did nothing for a long time. Couldn't get out of bed.

I am like a pin cushion I have had so many jabs. But I have also caught the stupid thing in various forms 3 times. It has gotten gradually less severe but it seems to drag out longer. The first time I was sick as a dog for 3 days with a fever and all sorts. This time it just seems to be long drawn out coughing attacks and sneezing. But no fever this time.
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:57 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:I also had COVID this week… Which was unfortunate because it was also the week my parents were visiting from out of state. They still came over, but I was stuck in the basement while my kids visited with them upstairs.

Hope you are feeling better!

Italian

French

Korean
All bar one were cancelled, but not because of Covid, but rather because 3 of the 4 Korean LE partners which I have normally scheduled all went on holiday. The other LE we did, but because I was feeling poorly we just spoke in English the entire time, but she answered some questions I had about Korean.

Those cloze deletion cards take me the longest to-do, but I think they probably help the most. One issue I have is that the cloze cards I made were to reinforce the verbs I've memorised. Unfortunately, I haven't done the first step, which was to memorise those verbs! So now that I'm feeling a little better and the headaches have gone away, I plan to turn my attention to that and work on the spelling and memorisation of those verbs!

General Stuff
I've only read 16 books this year, and we're already 110 days into it. Which means I'm averaging only 1 book each 6.875 days. Basically one book a week. This isn't good enough to hit my goal for the year. Of course, I haven't hit my weight loss goals, my writing goals, or any other bloody goal I set myself, but oh well, even if I don't hit the targets at least I took a shot. :)
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:07 pm

rdearman wrote:I've only read 16 books this year, and we're already 110 days into it.

Time for some positive thinking.

only ⇔ already

"I've already read 16 books this year, and we're only 110 days into it." :)
13 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:49 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've only read 16 books this year, and we're already 110 days into it.

Time for some positive thinking.

only ⇔ already

"I've already read 16 books this year, and we're only 110 days into it." :)

True! But I have decided to whip through a load of P.G Wodehouse books. The last book I completed was 300+ pages, and I still working through one which is just under 800 pages of dense maths and computer science stuff. So some light reading should get me back on track.
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:29 pm

My wife and I went to New Malden in London today. It is basically Korea Town in the UK. Apparently there are more Koreans in New Malden than anywhere else in Europe. It was an interesting trip for a few reasons.

• I heard more people speaking Italian than Korean.
  • I heard more people speaking Mandarin than Korean.
  • I didn't see that many Korean people.

But we stopped by the Korean Cultural Centre because they seemed to be having some kind of food festival. I love a food festival. They had menus on the outside, and luckily for me, I can read Hangul, but I wasn't sure I was pronouncing everything properly. So when I was inside and was speaking to the Korean lady behind the counter, I told her I wanted some gimbap. More specifically, I wanted the triangle shaped stuff, Samgak-gimbap 삼각김밥, but I just pointed at it and said gimbap because I wasn't sure of the pronunciation. So I asked, 한국어로 어떻게 말해요? (How do you say it in Korean) and held up the gimbap she'd just handed me. She looked really confused, and then leaned over to show me how to open the packaging. But I said, "No, how do you say it in Korean?" and she finally processed that I was speaking in Korean. I suppose the big fat, grey haired, white guy didn't immediately trigger a response or listening in Korean. :lol:

So my conversation:
  • 한국어로 어떻게 말해요?
  • Oh, you pull on the thread here and it opens up.
  • 아니, 미안이다. 한국어로 어떻게 말해요?
  • 아! 삼각김밥.

When I was walking away with my wife, I said to her how disappointed I was about my bad pronunciation, because I had to repeat it before the woman understood. My wife just laughed and said she thought the lady just didn't register at first that I wasn't speaking in English, and it wasn't until I said it again that she worked out I was speaking Korean. Anyway, for everything else we ordered the woman told me the Korean word for it, and we got big smiles throughout the rest of the transaction. I think I got a discount also, because she charged me half price for the 삼각김밥.

I got a massive haul from the Korean grocery, lots of Soju, Makkoli, Mayo, Beef Powder, Gochujang, Ssamjang & Doenjang pastes, as well as some laver sheets and pickled radish. So lots of homemade gimbap, bimbibap, and KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) for me this month!
17 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”