Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:08 pm

SpanishInput wrote:Hi, Rick. I'm by no means an expert on "how to get subscribers", but I do know that if your video title includes a search term that appears on the graph in Google Trends, you have a chance to reach more people. Especially if the search term is a question for which nobodoy else has given a good answer yet.

I've no plans to be an "influencer" or anything. Just nice to know people watch. :lol:
SpanishInput wrote:Now I understand why you don't use Chrome. I guess it's not easily available on Linux distros?

You can get it on Linux, I just don't like reporting everything I do to Google, and hence the NSA, or GCHQ. :D (Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you.)
SpanishInput wrote:For Mandarin, 李永乐老师 comes to mind. He's a teacher who has become famous for explaining science and economy, and almost all his latest videos have accurate subtitles in both simplified and traditional Chinese. You'll feel like you have been transported to a Chinese college classroom.

Excellent, I'll search for it and bookmark it. But at the moment Korean is the only thing on the list. I've only got about 5 months to get to a basic tourist level. To be honest I should be studying and not doing videos or messing about with electronics and things. :oops:

Carmody wrote:Am I right in thinking that if we are not struggling, we are not learning.....?

I must be learning a LOT ! :)
9 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Yay! I'm done with this book. Phew! I won't give a review for one reason, I really didn't understand this book. It was one of those times when I knew all the words, but just couldn't comprehend the substance of the book. The vocabulary was very difficult for me, another book with not a lot of dialogue, which puts me off a bit. I hesitate to say the book was bad, because in this example I think the problem was with me, not the book.

An original SF book written in French. Should be interesting. Hopefully I understand more than the last book.

===

I really need to cut back on all the stuff I'm trying to do, I can't do it all, and it is giving me headaches. (literally). So, I'm going to make a list of all the stuff I want/need to do, and I'm going to pick 5 of them. The rest will be put on a back burner and ignored until I get one of the 5 completed. This is the plan, in reality that probably isn't going to happen. Just to give you a flavour of all the stuff I'm doing badly.

• Learning Korean and taking 3 lessons per week with 1 language exchange
  • 1 French Language exchange each week, plus trying to complete my mission to read 22 books in French
  • Create 1 YT video per week. (I have 24 hours to do this week or forfeit)
  • Write a chess notation program in arm assembler which will convert PGN notation into ICCF notation and vis versa
  • Create a breadboard chess clock programmed with a ATMEGA168PA chip as the controller, (although in C++ so easier than the above)
  • Get my 3D printer working or returned to manufacturer.
  • Write a desklet application to do countdown timing for Linux Mint desktop. (On hold because of a bug in the Cinnamon desktop software)
  • Work for a living (this is a big time sink, believe it or not)
  • Complete writing the sequel to my last book, although why I don't know.
  • Complete writing of a new draft of a book
  • Finish assembling a computer using breadboards and an 6502 CPU chip, and do some programs. (I'm building a computer just to write assembler programs, rather than just use a virtual machine like a normal person)
  • 2 Italian language exchange per week
  • Memorise PI to 1000 digits (I'm already at a hundred, but haven't done anything for a week or two)
  • Work on my mental maths
  • Start season 4 of my Podcast
  • Write a new game in Godot, with 3D objects made in blender
  • Learn Kicad or EasyEDA and create circuit board for an "irritate" board.
  • Learn Mandarin (already on a back-burner)
  • Complete reading the shelf full of maths books

That is just a list of the stuff that I haven't already parked.
10 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:08 pm

rdearman wrote:This is the plan, in reality that probably isn't going to happen. Just to give you a flavour of all the stuff I'm doing badly.

• Learning Korean and taking 3 lessons per week with 1 language exchange
  • 1 French Language exchange each week, plus trying to complete my mission to read 22 books in French
  • Create 1 YT video per week. (I have 24 hours to do this week or forfeit)
  • Write a chess notation program in arm assembler which will convert PGN notation into ICCF notation and vis versa
  • Create a breadboard chess clock programmed with a ATMEGA168PA chip as the controller, (although in C++ so easier than the above)
  • Get my 3D printer working or returned to manufacturer.
  • Write a desklet application to do countdown timing for Linux Mint desktop. (On hold because of a bug in the Cinnamon desktop software)
  • Work for a living (this is a big time sink, believe it or not)
  • Complete writing the sequel to my last book, although why I don't know.
  • Complete writing of a new draft of a book
  • Finish assembling a computer using breadboards and an 6502 CPU chip, and do some programs. (I'm building a computer just to write assembler programs, rather than just use a virtual machine like a normal person)
  • 2 Italian language exchange per week
  • Memorise PI to 1000 digits (I'm already at a hundred, but haven't done anything for a week or two)
  • Work on my mental maths
  • Start season 4 of my Podcast
  • Write a new game in Godot, with 3D objects made in blender
  • Learn Kicad or EasyEDA and create circuit board for an "irritate" board.
  • Learn Mandarin (already on a back-burner)
  • Complete reading the shelf full of maths books

That is just a list of the stuff that I haven't already parked.

Some plan! If only we had 10-day weeks, and 48 hours in the day, right? ;)
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:22 pm

Do you find that what you know in Mandarin is helping (or hindering) your progress with Korean?
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:55 pm

It helps a little. For example the Koreans use sino-korean numbers which are just Chinese numbers with slightly different sounds. They construct some words the same. E.g. Pig Meat = Pork, Chicken Meat = Chicken, Cow Meat = Beef. Country s and nationality similar to the way the Chinese do it. America Person = American, etc. They even use a sound similar to "Meg" for America like mandarin.

Some of the writing practice techniques small white showed me for mandarin works well for practice writing Hangul also.

There is a lot of crossover between the two languages. Of course I am early days into it all.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:43 pm

Well, cover me in syrup and call me Johnny! Finally! A book I can understand and has an engaging story. It isn't a translation, but an actual French book written by a French person. Will wonders never cease. I've zipped through the first 20+ pages while reading on a train, so not only is it easy enough for me to read without a dictionary in hand, the story is engaging enough to make me tune out the knob heads talking on their phones or yammering with their mates.

The downside of course is that this isn't going to take long to read, and then I'm back to Stendhal... (sigh)
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:46 pm

rdearman wrote:Image

You're creating a cliff-hanger with your secret image and not mentioning the title.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:58 pm

The title is one in the image! :D

Aux Étoiles du Destin [Destiny's Stars] (1960) by Michel Jeury
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Jeury
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:57 pm

Rick,

I was following your video in regards to creating a bilingual book on your youtube channel. The tool you recommended was PDFtk Server. I downloaded it and executed it but no app was opened. Should I restart my computer for it to work? I don't see the same window into which you were writing commands for both files to be merged together. Thanks
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:13 pm

german2k01 wrote:Rick,

I was following your video in regards to creating a bilingual book on your youtube channel. The tool you recommended was PDFtk Server. I downloaded it and executed it but no app was opened. Should I restart my computer for it to work? I don't see the same window into which you were writing commands for both files to be merged together. Thanks

This isn't an "app" and doesn't have a GUI (Graphical User Interface). It is usable only on the command line of your operating system. You didn't say which operating system you use, so I'll assume Windows. In that case you'll need to open either a command line window using the "cmd" command or Windows Powershell.

I put some links below.
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/chusedos.htm
https://www.howtogeek.com/662611/9-ways ... indows-10/

If you want a GUI then you can find some opensource interfaces that work with pdftk. Either of these two links will put a clickable windows type interface over the pdftk executable you've downloaded.
http://pdftk4all.sourceforge.net/
http://www.angusj.com/pdftkb/

I find it faster to just type things on the commandline so I forget that some people prefer GUI's. Hopefully, those links will help.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”