Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:38 am

Well, I can't seem to get the image transfered over to the fabric, because it appears I need an inkjet printer for that and all I have are laser printers. It seems I'm too high tech! I did mean to say I'd be happy to give out a book to players if you show up at the LLORG D&D game! These are French, but there is also Italian, German & Portuguese.

books.png

I'm back to watching netflix in Italian, but really need to activate some more. But it is too late now, I'm off to Italy next week, so I'll have to struggle along with my B2. :evil: :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Someone in Sardinia today told me they thought I was local because my Italian was so good!!!! Yay me!!!
19 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Just posted some photos of Sardinia if anyone is interested. https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6044

I've been really wondering which language to concentrate on and having just come back from holiday in Italy, and spending the week immersed in the language and the culture the decision is obvious. French.

My reasoning is since I really love Italian people, culture, food, and language it is going the be the easiest one to get motivated later. French isn't a passion but rather something useful and utilitarian. In addition I have sooooo much material in French it will be the easiest one to concentrate on. I also think I have a higher level in reading comprehension in French.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeah, this morning I totally decided to focus on French more these next couple of weeks. Guess what I did? 2h of Argentinian radio / podcasts :lol:
4 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm

blaurebell wrote:Yeah, this morning I totally decided to focus on French more these next couple of weeks. Guess what I did? 2h of Argentinian radio / podcasts :lol:

I sympathise with you. It is hard for me not to get distracted. I'm trying to formulate a plan which I can follow. I still don't know how long it would take to get form B2ish to C1 in French, or how many hours a day I'd be able to do.

I have been thinking of a plan. The outline of which is:
  1. Anki - 20 cards per day. Close deletion, pronunciation, etc.
  2. FSI French each day. (Has anyone chopped these up into anki decks?)
  3. Grammar book study 15 minutes per day.
  4. Read Extensively (in Super Challenge anyway)
  5. Read Intensively (I have bought a paperback book solely for this purpose)
  6. Watch everything in French
  7. Audio books / French radio in the car
My target is 2 hours minimum study each day by which I mean Grammar, Anki, Intensive reading, FSI. Everything else isn't studying, but I'll try to get at least 1 more hour each day out of that.
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:58 pm

rdearman wrote:
blaurebell wrote:Yeah, this morning I totally decided to focus on French more these next couple of weeks. Guess what I did? 2h of Argentinian radio / podcasts :lol:

I sympathise with you. It is hard for me not to get distracted. I'm trying to formulate a plan which I can follow. I still don't know how long it would take to get form B2ish to C1 in French, or how many hours a day I'd be able to do.

My target is 2 hours minimum study each day by which I mean Grammar, Anki, Intensive reading, FSI. Everything else isn't studying, but I'll try to get at least 1 more hour each day out of that.

What about output? That's the hard part, in my opinion.
5 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:31 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm trying to formulate a plan which I can follow. I still don't know how long it would take to get form B2ish to C1 in French, or how many hours a day I'd be able to do.

I have this plan for Spanish that goes like this: Grammar (FSI+progressive grammar books), get to 20,000 pages read, at least 5000 pages intensively with LWT (starting point about 5000 extensive), get to 1000h+ audio (starting point 500h) of which at least 500h have to be properly native audio of different accents, Output Challenge. I have calculated that the whole plan will probably take me 1500h. Comprehension might then be beyond C1, but production around C1 I assume. Every day I chip away at it, currently the listening and grammar. So far it's been a quite successful strategy, my speaking has already improved quite a bit.
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:

What about output? That's the hard part, in my opinion.

Yarp. Add an italki exchange (free) at least once a week.

If you can't find someone - send me a PM and we can set up a weekly chat in French. We could even do a virtual group stammtisch in French on a regular basis. A Language Stammtisch is a meeting where only a target language is permitted (all levels).
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:42 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Yarp. Add an italki exchange (free) at least once a week.

Oh forgot to say I'll be having two lessons a week with my French tutor. :)
I've had exchanges before, but it never seems to work out for me, mostly because I'm not very good at getting online at the right time. Life seems to trip me up, or I'm so tired I can't be arsed. :(

zenmonkey wrote:If you can't find someone - send me a PM and we can set up a weekly chat in French. We could even do a virtual group stammtisch in French on a regular basis. A Language Stammtisch is a meeting where only a target language is permitted (all levels).

I still wouldn't mind getting extra practice in. Perhaps an online game of D&D via google-hangouts? I'll send you a free book! ;)
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 pm

We have fairly similar plans. French to C1, and our routines are similar (I'm not making any time for a tutor yet).

I'm aiming for 3 hours a day 'desk study' plus extra time commuting and watching etc here and there. I'm expecting one to two years (one if I beat the perfectionist out of me, two in all likelihood knowing me and the things I'll feel compelled to tick off along the way, but probably aren't essential). Like you, I'll be reading (intensively and extensively), watching, 'grammar-ing' and time for vocab (SRS software can go jump though).

I won't be making books (btw, they look good!), but you can be sure I'll try my hardest to distract myself with gaggets, googling, dreaming and so on.

Although, I advised you to study 2 languages, all in all i'm glad you chose one. My best advice (I got past many waves of wanderlust and have beaten them all into submission now- Dutch is my Italian) is that soon as wanderlust rises, try not to 'feed it too much' and just accept that you are indeed going all the way with your French and there's NO WAY any other language is going to creep in BEFORE you reach your objective. It's French to C1 BEFORE Italian, right? ;) .... right?!!

In terms of your study hours each day, as much as I know you hate routines or 'forced objectives', for me at least, making sure I do my 3 hours each day BEFORE anything else (unless emergency or something that cannot be put aside at all- don't make silly exceptions) helps. I still get off track, but, when I'm focused and do my French early in the morning, before anything else in the day, I achieve a lot more. This may not function for you, you know yourself best, but for me it does.

I wish you the best of luck rdearman! I'm keen to watch your progress.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”