Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Postby Herodotean » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:16 pm

Is the new title a reference to the Statler Brothers song?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Herodotean wrote:Is the new title a reference to the Statler Brothers song?

Yeah. I thought it was funny. :)
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:11 pm

Italian
I've done a couple of language exchanges in December, but mostly didn't really do anything with Italian. I've been watching a couple of series on Channel 4 here in the UK, but that is pretty much it.

French
All my French language exchange partners seemed to have evaporated, so I haven't been spending any time with it. However, I've got a new book in French and I'm about 1/2 way through it.

Korean
Still studying Korean, I've been speaking with people (am much as I can, which isn't much) and I've returned to Pimsleur and listening again.

General Stuff
I'm spent the last couple of months doing a lot of YouTube videos, but I need to get my reading back up to scratch. I've got 5 books on the go, but none of them completed.
15 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:09 pm

Italian
I've been watching a couple of series on Channel 4 here in the UK, but that is pretty much it. Had to cancel a LE tonight sadly.

French
Parked the French book because I have a higher priority one to read, but should be back into it tomorrow. Need to scare up some new French partners.

Korean
Still studying Korean, I've been speaking with people and I've returned to Pimsleur and listening again. I have also added the talk to me in Korean podcasts and anki decks.

General Stuff
Trying to get in shape and running 15-20 km per week. Thinking of getting back into marathons, it has been a good 10 years since I last ran a marathon and I am not sure I want to make that commitment. It is a huge time sink. Trying to get the reading back up to speed again after a break in December and beginning of January.
13 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:11 am

rdearman wrote:... I am not sure I want to make that commitment. It is a huge time sink.

My automatic reaction is, "Yeah, but think of the number of podcasts you could listen to!"
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:55 pm

Italian
I've been watching a couple of series on Channel 4 here in the UK, but that is pretty much it. Did my Italian LE this week and this time I did the Italian part first. I have a tendency to get lazy and just keep doing English otherwise. It was fun, I do need to spend some more time with Italian.

French
Reading some French but nothing else.

Korean
Still studying Korean, I've been speaking with people and I've returned to Pimsleur and listening again. I have also added the talk to me in Korean podcasts and anki decks.

I was going to do subs2srs using a dvd. But both of the dvd I bought don't have the Korean subtitles. This is very frustrating! I am investigating using some news broadcasts which have both English and Korean transcript instead.

General Stuff
I have a lot of partially read books and I don't think I will be able to do my 150 books this year target if I don't pull my finger out and get stuck in.
12 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:10 am

rdearman wrote:French
Reading some French but nothing else.
I've just come across a food-themed podcast you might like, Les Bonnes Choses:
La nourriture est un enjeu global : affectif, intime, social, culturel, anthropologique, économique, écologique…

Les Bonnes choses s’empare des questions d’alimentation telles qu’elles s’imposent aujourd’hui, une source de plaisir et de partage certes, mais aussi une affaire de responsabilité et de sécurité. De grands sujets, des portraits de cuisiniers, artisans, agriculteurs, gastronomes, une perspective régionale et mondiale, une histoire des produits, une attention à toutes les nouveautés – aliments, tendances, débats, blogs, festivals.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Italian
Just watching some TV and YouTube videos. Not much else happing with Italian, but hey, I have a lot of stuff on my plate. Realistically, I could probably get into a Podcast, but can't really find one. Not looking really hard might be the reason I'm not finding anything though.

French
DaveAgain wrote:food-themed podcast you might like, Les Bonnes Choses:
I looked at this and it seems good. I do need to start scheduling time for all this stuff, otherwise it just doesn't happen. :(

Korean
Pimsleur, TTMIK, and ANKI are the only studying I'm doing, although I do have 3 language exchanges a week. I try really hard to speak only in Korean for about 15–30 minutes of these exchanges before we revert to English, but every little helps I suppose, even if I'm not seeing much progress. :cry:

I've given up on the subs2srs thing. I can't find the right combination of subtitles and film.

General Stuff
Had to focus on reading I'm still 14 books behind my schedule to get to 150 by the end of the year, but I can jam through 1-2 westerns per day, so I should be able to power on for a little while. I have a couple of really, really high page count books I want to read, so I need to get the numbers up with the smaller books.

I arrive back to the same problem I always have. There are only 24 hours in a day, and I waste a lot of them. I have a list of personal projects I want to do, yesterday there was 89, but I did manage to finally complete one of them, so only 88 projects to do. Although in reality, I have about 16 others in a separate list I haven't added on yet, but they don't count... yet. (Crap, I just thought of 2 more things which have to be done while writing this.)
12 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Re: Rdearman 2016-23 I’m not superstitious, just a little stitious.

Postby javier_getafe » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 pm

rdearman wrote:Italian
An actual update rather than a rant. Being so annoyed and sick of Pimsleur I decided to jump back on the language exchange bandwagon (I'm writing this while waiting for someone who is likely to be a no-show). I've done two language exchanges in Italian, and I've one more scheduled for this evening. It is honestly super easy to find Italians to talk to, and they are rarely if ever a no-show. Perhaps because Italian is less popular on exchange sites with English speakers? Who knows. I do know that I could probably do 8 hours of language exchanges in Italian every day if I wanted to.

Gosh, can I ask about the channel you do use to find such amount of people willing to share time?
thxs!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Re: Rdearman 2016-23 I’m not superstitious, just a little stitious.

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:56 pm

javier_getafe wrote:
rdearman wrote:Italian
An actual update rather than a rant. Being so annoyed and sick of Pimsleur I decided to jump back on the language exchange bandwagon (I'm writing this while waiting for someone who is likely to be a no-show). I've done two language exchanges in Italian, and I've one more scheduled for this evening. It is honestly super easy to find Italians to talk to, and they are rarely if ever a no-show. Perhaps because Italian is less popular on exchange sites with English speakers? Who knows. I do know that I could probably do 8 hours of language exchanges in Italian every day if I wanted to.

Gosh, can I ask about the channel you do use to find such amount of people willing to share time?
thxs!

Typically I use Https://conversationexchange.com
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”