Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17/18 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby tarvos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Son français est, comme on dit, pas mal ... mieux que le mien, en tout cas !
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37 pm

To be fair, it isn't actually the presentation speaking part which scares me. I figure that will be OK, because I have time to prepare and work on my pronunciation, vocabulary, etc. The part that makes me scared is the Q&A at the end, where people will expect me to understand the question, and then think of a reply off the cuff.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:41 pm

So, get Zenmonkey and some of the other French speakers here to listen to your presentation and ask you really tough complicated questions. I can’t ask you any French questions, unfortunately, but I can heckle you and throw tomatoes if that would help.
Last edited by Brun Ugle on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:So, get Zenmonkey and some of the other French speakers here to listen to your presentation and ask you really tough complicated questions. I can’t ask you any French questions, unfortunately, but I can heckle you and throw tomatoe if that would help.

Thanks, I can always count on you and Dave to be in my corner. :roll:
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:So, get Zenmonkey and some of the other French speakers here to listen to your presentation and ask you really tough complicated questions. I can’t ask you any French questions, unfortunately, but I can heckle you and throw tomatoes if that would help.

This is a good suggestion. You could also do something similar with language tutors. They pick holes in it, throw questions at you that will feel like tomatoes, but you'll hopefully get some bases covered by the time the match begins.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Recently in the HTLAL - LLORG thread emk made a statement:

I would strongly support people trying more weird experiments here and logging about them. I mean, come on, that's how you get a zillion people reading your log. Just try to learn 6 Assimil courses at the same time, or learn from children's picture books, or try to teach yourself Spanish almost entirely using television (hi!). This is how we all learn clever new methods, and what their pros and cons are.

So everybody, please go forth and experiment, for our vicarious learning pleasure!

I admit that I couldn't think of a crazy or weird experiment worth logging and would help my learning. I could see how many grammar books I can fit into a phonebooth, but doesn't really help me. I started thinking about what it is I need to work on. I potentially have a presentation in French for the Polyglot gathering, and as I've said before I'm not concerned so much about doing the presentation, but more about the Q&A at the end. Mainly because my listening comprehension isn't top notch. So I needed to think of something which would help with listening comprehension.

Watching loads of films has been done. Done a lot! So that isn't anything new, or particularly interesting. Finally I setted on something which holds promise of sorting out my comprehension problem, and is an experiment which I don't remember anyone else doing. How many grammar books could I ... oh, no... not that one.

A transcription challenge. I have a set of cartoons in French which have zero subtitles nor any transcription. So I thought, why not transcribe all of these? There are 40 episodes running 26 minutes. So 1040 minutes of video to transcribe. There is a free transcription program OTranscribe. I've done a little of this, and it certainly helped a little, so would a lot help a lot?

This issue with this is I've watched this what seems to be a billion times, so not all that keen to watch it again. Still, it seems like a cool experiment, and assuming I find a decent audio series to transcribe, it could be fun and useful.

Which brings me to measurement. I can do a bar in the signature, but what is the target. I think number of words transcribed, rather than minutes of audio. Mainly because too many interludes with nothing of music, etc. so words is probably better. A little research says a film is roughly 10k to 20k words. A 30 minute podcast is about 5k words.

Should the target be X words transcribed or number of words transcribed in X time?

Thoughts, anyone?
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm

rdearman wrote:A transcription challenge. I have a set of cartoons in French which have zero subtitles nor any transcription. So I thought, why not transcribe all of these? There are 40 episodes running 26 minutes. So 1040 minutes of video to transcribe. There is a free transcription program OTranscribe. I've done a little of this, and it certainly helped a little, so would a lot help a lot?

This issue with this is I've watched this what seems to be a billion times, so not all that keen to watch it again. Still, it seems like a cool experiment, and assuming I find a decent audio series to transcribe, it could be fun and useful.

Which brings me to measurement. I can do a bar in the signature, but what is the target. I think number of words transcribed, rather than minutes of audio. Mainly because too many interludes with nothing of music, etc. so words is probably better. A little research says a film is roughly 10k to 20k words. A 30 minute podcast is about 5k words.

Should the target be X words transcribed or number of words transcribed in X time?

Thoughts, anyone?
I tried a little of this once, it took me forever to transcribe just seconds of video. I recommend using a video that has a transcript/subtitles you can check against, so you're not endlessly re-listening like I was!

I suggest words within a fixed time period. See how your score changes day-by-day.

(Re: transcript. an option there might be a published play: "Le Voyage de Monsieur Perrichon" looks like it might be funny. And "La Cantatrice chauve" was inspired by Assimil's l'anglais sans peine!)
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

DaveBee wrote:I recommend using a video that has a transcript/subtitles you can check against, so you're not endlessly re-listening like I was!

I suggest words within a fixed time period. See how your score changes day-by-day.

That is a good point about transcriptions available. So if I'm following you, you are suggesting scoring more like a typist. e.g. for me it would be like: 100 words transcribed with 12 errors. With the goal of reducing errors per 100 words (or similar).

If I were to transcribe until end of May and try to reduce error counts consistently. That sounds more quantifiable than my original idea. It would also let me know if it was working or not.

Cool. Thanks.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 pm

rdearman wrote:The part that makes me scared is the Q&A at the end, where people will expect me to understand the question, and then think of a reply off the cuff.
Why not tell your audience that you'll answer the questions in english if you don't understand them in french ? Simple.
When I watch videos of the Polyglot events on YT, everybody is constantly switching from a language to the other...no big deal.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Arnaud wrote:
rdearman wrote:The part that makes me scared is the Q&A at the end, where people will expect me to understand the question, and then think of a reply off the cuff.
Why not tell your audience that you'll answer the questions in english if you don't understand them in french ? Simple.
When I watch videos of the Polyglot events on YT, everybody is constantly switching from a language to the other...no big deal.

Yes I thought about that too. But I feel I should push myself! After all I need to learn anyway.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”