Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.]

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 am

I have completed 265 days of Italian Clozemaster. Only another 100 to go to be a full year long streak. :)

I've been doing Mandarin with either Pimsleur or my own home-made Pimsleur Audio SRS in the car every day for at least 30 minutes. Weekends become more of a problem but generally I work with my anki deck, or do something with my Assimil book. Typically, it is Anki, since I quite like the Spoonfed Chinese deck that I'm using. Since that is what I'm using in my home-made audio SRS it reinforces the sentences and pronunciation, but the anki deck also has the hanzi characters.

Pretty good consistency this year with the 366 challenge I've done some Chinese every day. I've completed all the Setswana lessons, and modified the audio and normalized it. Now I just need to find somewhere to upload it.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Been working from home for the last week, so no commuting. This means I've had to do the Chinese study the hard way and actually take time out to do it, rather than being constrained in a car. So it has been a lot more difficult to force myself to do the work. Also, I'm a bit sick of Pimsleur, so I really need to find something else to do in order to break it up a little. In theory, I should have more time in a couple of weeks, but assuming my entire family is "self-isolating" with me I'm not going to get much peace and quiet.

Still slogging along on the Clozemaster Italian. I'm up to a 269-day streak. I have about 700 cards due review, but I just can't seem to get myself motivated to complete them all.

I seem to be demotivated by all language learning, including Rust and Flutter!
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Sparverius
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2-), Mandarin (B1), Spanish (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10525

Postby Sparverius » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 pm

The Spoonfed deck is top-notch. I wish something as straightforward as it existed for most other languages.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 pm

rdearman wrote:Still slogging along on the Clozemaster Italian. I'm up to a 269-day streak. I have about 700 cards due review, but I just can't seem to get myself motivated to complete them all.

In cases like this, I try to do all new cards and slowly decrease the number of overdue ones by let's say 50 or 100 each day. Since time goes quickly, in just a few days, you will catch up with them.
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Because I am not driving back and forth to work any more I don't really have the ability to listen to Pimselur and ignore everything else. This includes my "home-made Pimselur". So instead I have been watching Xue Yan on YouTube and all her lessons. I am on lesson 21, but she has done 203 of them! I put a sample below.

In addition, I have installed LWT on my new Linux machine (and created a docker based system for easy loading) so that I can do characters. So I can now watch her videos on TV when I get a chance, or use LWT when I'm on the PC. I am still doing some Pimsleur or using Anki, but they aren't the only thing to do now, so I'm getting a bit more variety. I have managed to lay my hands on a translation of Grimm's Fairy Tales in Chinese, so this is what I've started with on LWT.

For Italian, I'm on day 277 of my Clozemaster streak and I'm returning to reading the large book about Alexander the Great. I have loaded a book into LWT for French as well and I'm scheduling some conversations with my French friend. So ticking over in everything except Setswana and Polish. However, since it looks like the Gathering is probably going to get cancelled given the current global situation, I'm probably going to park Polish for the foreseeable future.
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:40 am

I haven't been updating this as regularly as I should. But there isn't much happening. I've continued to do all the 30+ minutes of Chinese, and the Italian clozemaster. I've also started conversations in French again with my French friend. I also decided that start reading all the books I have lying around the house. I was reading some books in English, but lost interest in most of them. At the moment I'm not really interested in reading in English, and I can't find any books which grab my interest. This is all a bit odd for me because I was always been a keen reader and it feels strange not to have the desire to read.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:19 pm

rdearman wrote:I also decided that start reading all the books I have lying around the house. I was reading some books in English, but lost interest in most of them. At the moment I'm not really interested in reading in English, and I can't find any books which grab my interest. This is all a bit odd for me because I was always been a keen reader and it feels strange not to have the desire to read.
What sort of books do you like?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote:I also decided that start reading all the books I have lying around the house. I was reading some books in English, but lost interest in most of them. At the moment I'm not really interested in reading in English, and I can't find any books which grab my interest. This is all a bit odd for me because I was always been a keen reader and it feels strange not to have the desire to read.
What sort of books do you like?

Mostly scifi or fantasy.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm

rdearman wrote:Mostly scifi or fantasy.
Other than the Expanse series, the best sci-fi I've read in the last few years is Paulo Bacigalupi's Wind up Girl, and Shipbreakers. He's published in French.

https://www.babelio.com/auteur/Paolo-Bacigalupi/51616

Cavesa mentioned some Czech writers a while back, one of those, Jaroslav Kalfař, was shortlisted for the Arthur C Clarke prize, he's published in French too.

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Kalfar-U ... eme/956077

Expugnator mentioned a German sci fi writer called Andreas Eschbach, he's also available in French.

https://www.babelio.com/auteur/Andreas-Eschbach/6217
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:08 am

Merci ! Although in reality I should be writing books, not reading them. I'm being lazy. :(
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”