Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Time is a great teacher, but it kills all its pupils.]

Postby rdearman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:51 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
rdearman wrote:I didn't have an LE for 2 weeks straight! I think this is probably a record since sometime last year I've always had LE's if not one week then the next.
Did your french LEP enjoy her holiday in the UK?

Yes she loved it. She said she had a headache the last two days from all the concentration during the week !
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19 [Time is a great teacher, but it kills all its pupils.]

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:05 pm

My favourite presentation from the last Polyglot Gathering has been posted! And, no, it isn't mine. :)

4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Looking through YouTube and came across an example of the DELF B2 exam. From Torino... Further exploration shows this is actually an educational channel in Italian. I was confused when I first watch the video and the girl was speaking Italian then they switched to French. Anyway, they have a lot of educational stuff for Italian children, like grammar. So I've been watching a lot of those videos.

6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Well I just finished my Skype conversation with my French language partner. I haven't spoken to her in at least two weeks just because one or the other of us has been occupied with something else. It was a good conversation and again it was more than an hour; about an hour and 1/2 so 45 minutes English, 45 minutes French. One of the things that we tried tonight was to use some mork examinations for oral portions of the French and or English exams. We quickly encountered a problem which is that neither of us know how to score someone at the appropriate level. So for example I gave her the question in English, and she gave me a response in English but I had no way to know if her response would be B1, B2, C1 if an examiner were to listen.

I have managed 177 days of Italian clozemaster and 105 of those days I have done at least 500 points. I've been continuing to work with Italian and I've got numerous books that I have loaded onto my Kindle in order to read. Most of these are ancient science fiction books which I have read in the past, but it's fine because I have never read them in Italian.

I'm considering doing the 366-day challenge but I'm not really sure which language to pick. I'm seriously considering doing French for a year, and Italian, and possibly something else yet to be decided. I was looking around today at various conlangs since I thought it might be interesting to learn a constructed language. I really don't have any interest in Esperanto or Klingon, so I was trying to see what else might be available. This could be done for another Free & Legal Challenge since very few of these conlangs have commercial materials.

I still haven't started doing any Polish in any large degree other than the occasional hello, excuse me, good afternoon type thing with my colleague. I was planning to start doing some type of listening and reading program in the New Year. I really don't know what I'll do to do next year I have no concrete plans. Each day I seemed to waver between various options such as stopping all language learning forever, or focusing only on one language, or learning everything at the same time, or a mixture of these.

A long time ago I downloaded a list of 1001 books to read before you die. I recently discovered this spreadsheet on a backup and decided that I would start to look into this. I updated the spreadsheet and worked out that I have read 74 of these 1001 books or 7.39%. Interestingly, or at least interestingly to me, I have read three of these books in French. Of course the other 71 were in English. Given that a significant number of these books are classics and are freely available in the public domain I added them to the collection of books to be on my Kindle. This week I completed Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau. I think I will try to read any of the classics that I can in either French or Italian.

Outside human languages and constructed languages I've also been looking into programming languages this week. One of the things I've been looking at is natural query languages which allow you to ask questions in a natural human way. One of the things I was looking at using this for was to create a corpus of this website and generate an FAQ based on the actual questions asked. So not the thing I think is the most frequently asked questions but rather the thing that is mathematically the most FAQ. This has led me down a bit of a programming rabbit hole but it is quite interesting.

I don't really have any type of language learning activities planned for the holiday season, so I am unlikely to do an update in the near future. But let me take this opportunity if you are reading my log to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
12 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Merry Christmas to you too and happy holidays!
:D
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Some company is pirating my books online. I am both annoyed and flattered, but still broke!
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:22 pm

rdearman wrote:Some company is pirating my books online. I am both annoyed and flattered, but still broke!

What the heck? What books? Are they in Kindle? What are their titles?

I had my thesis "stolen" then Kindle-ized and put on Amazon for sale, like for 50-70 bucks. I pointed out to Amazon that 1) the thesis is the property of the U.S. government and free to anyone who wants to download it and 2) I'm not allowed to sell it so obviously others can't sell it under my name. They removed it and every year or so I check, and it's not there. Amazon wouldn't tell me how many copies (if any) the thieves sold.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:56 am

IronMike wrote:
rdearman wrote:Some company is pirating my books online. I am both annoyed and flattered, but still broke!

What the heck? What books? Are they in Kindle? What are their titles?

I had my thesis "stolen" then Kindle-ized and put on Amazon for sale, like for 50-70 bucks. I pointed out to Amazon that 1) the thesis is the property of the U.S. government and free to anyone who wants to download it and 2) I'm not allowed to sell it so obviously others can't sell it under my name. They removed it and every year or so I check, and it's not there. Amazon wouldn't tell me how many copies (if any) the thieves sold.

You asked, so I guess it isn't really self-promotion. :) They are all on Kindle. I have written some other books, as a ghostwriter for other people and some with "Nom de plume". I actually sell more of the ones using a pseudonym.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VP5V3L
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762J5BVK
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DFCCDA
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085TIQHW
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FNGH8G
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UU5364W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00584PDQ4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QZFR8AY
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Nice! I will definitely buy your beer/food pairing book. I love pairing for friends.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:05 pm

New year, new update same as the old update.

Not a lot happening. I've not been speaking to anyone in any of the languages I know, nor have I don't much with them. However, I have (just) managed to do Mandarin for 30+ minutes each day and to keep my Clozemaster streak in Italian. For Chinese, I've just been doing (redoing actually) Pimsleur in the car as I drive back and forth to work. I've listened to France Bleu Nord in the car as I drive, since I can get this over the Internet. This has been the basics of the last two weeks. On the weekends I've either done more Pimsleur for Mandarin, or HelloChinese app or Anki.

I have not progressed in any way, shape or form in Polish or Setswana. But now that I have the hobbit in Polish I think I will just try to listen to that when I'm driving. I have about 4 hours of driving each weekday, so 30 minutes per Italian, French, Mandarin and Polish seems possible. I don't have audio for Setswana, so no car time for that language. :)
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”