Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:20 pm

Wow, tons of people updating their logs, I wonder who will still be updating them in November? :twisted:

So one of my resolutions went down the toilet on day 2. :roll: I was going to walk 10k steps per day, but that failed because I got roped into painting my daughter's new flat, so you don't get many steps while stood on a ladder. Although, you do get a bit of a workout. So, I'm going to modify the resolution to do a monthly average, which then allows me to do more steps some days and less on others.

The 30+ minutes of Korean are still going strong, because you can listen to Pimsleur on your headsets while standing on a ladder. Although in fact all I have managed in the last couple of days is Anki and Pimsleur. But I'm hoping to get in some more study of the grammar book I have, and my lessons will start again soon. I managed 90 days of the 365 challenge last year, so if I can do that again, then I'll be only a couple of weeks from my trip, and it will all be good.

I completed Meditations

Only a few more pages of the French book. I should knuckle down and complete these French books, I've only got a few more to go and then I can switch to Italian. :)
8 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:43 pm

rdearman wrote: I got roped into painting my daughter's new flat, so you don't get many steps while stood on a ladder. Although, you do get a bit of a workout.

This can be reviewed tomorrow when you get out of bed. I painted the bathroom and felt great, then the next morning felt like I'd done a marathon..and I go to the gym and cycle to work! All that stepping up and down the ladder and stretching is tiring stuff.
rdearman wrote:I completed Meditations

Only a few more pages of the French book. I should knuckle down and complete these French books, I've only got a few more to go and then I can switch to Italian. :)

Congrats on the Meditations. Was it the Meric Causabon edition? Or a different translation? Or maybe even another language? We read some selections of this at school in Latin, but I've only read half of the Causabon translation in English, because I have it as a nice hardback. I finally read one in French which differed so much from the English that I decided to re-check some other English translations just to see if they were also suspect.

Right from the start Causabon makes a curious error with:
Of my great-grandfather, both to frequent public schools and auditories, and to get me good and able teachers at home...

In the French:
Grâce à mon bisaïeul, au lieu d'aller aux écoles publiques, j'ai eu de bons professeurs à la maison

This is also pretty much the same in George Long's English translation and all the other English ones.These all concur with the Greek which indeed reads: 'not to frequent public lectures...'

This sort of thing always makes me worry about the accuracy of translations and the translator's biases. How these might shift a reader away from the original meaning of the author.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:11 pm

Le Baron wrote:Congrats on the Meditations. Was it the Meric Causabon edition? Or a different translation? Or maybe even another language? We read some selections of this at school in Latin, but I've only read half of the Causabon translation in English, because I have it as a nice hardback. I finally read one in French which differed so much from the English that I decided to re-check some other English translations just to see if they were also suspect.

I don't actually know, I'll need to look it up. (Now a short intermission while I go find the book, please talk amongst yourselves).

It is translated by A.S.L Farquharson. I did notice some differences from this book, the book which I read before, and the one which was from Project Gutenberg. The Gutenberg is "A new rendering based on the Foulis translation of 1742, by George W. Chrystal". I did find it a little odd in some places, different from what I remembered, and I'd memorized a couple of quotes like:

Let no man any longer hear thee finding fault with the court life or with thy own.
(The one I memorized, but I only have the snippets of quotes, not the original text, so no idea who translated it.)
Let no man any more hear you railing on the life of the court; nay, revile it not to your own hearing.
(Gutenberg)
Let no one any longer hear you finding fault with your life in a palace; nay, do not even hear yourself.
(Book I got for Xmas)
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:23 pm

The first one is really different at the end. Strange how so many different translations from once source can appear.

There is one great use of all this though; being able to see and compare translations over hundreds of years and between different languages. To perhaps see any curiosities of thought of any given era that may have coloured the translation. Also to perhaps see if different language translations give a different slant to the reading/interpretation of it.

You actually memorised some quotes! I can't remember what I had for breakfast. (I can actually it was an omelette :) ).
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:52 pm

rdearman wrote:I completed Meditations

I read Meditations a little over a year ago. Here's my review from right after finishing:

Book 1: Longest Oscar speech ever.
Book 2: Life is short and you're gonna die.
Book 3: You get old and senile then who cares.
Book 4: All you need is yourself. Screw everybody else.
Book 5: Get the f^ck out of bed and work, or: Marcus Aurelius as the first Calvinist.
Book 6: Embrace the suck.
Book 7: Death by quotations: Everyone else said better stuff.
Book 8: You can't fight Nature.
Book 9: Mind your own damn business. You're gonna die anyway.
Book 10: Reflect on yourself and your soul.
Book 11: Doctor Aurelius, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying about Others.
Book 12: Don't be a jerk, or no one will care when you, inevitably, die.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:12 pm

rdearman wrote:I also give out my age in hexadecimal, makes you look a lot younger. For example, if I make it to 70 (decimal) then I'll be telling people I'm 46 (hexadecimal). Although you might get the odd look if you tell someone your 2F years old. :)

But being 4d is kind of cool. :)
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:24 pm

rdearman wrote: I just hit 128 subscribers on YT. This is pretty significant for a computer guy. Now I want 256 ! :)

More power to you!
2 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:39 pm

rdearman wrote:I also give out my age in hexadecimal, makes you look a lot younger. For example, if I make it to 70 (decimal) then I'll be telling people I'm 46 (hexadecimal). Although you might get the odd look if you tell someone your 2F years old. :)

Been years since "did" hex, but glad to see I'm 36 now. ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:08 am

IronMike wrote:

Been years since "did" hex, but glad to see I'm 36 now. ;)

I guess "thirty-something" goes all the way up to 57.
Then you have to wait to 64 to hit "forty-something".
Can we call 58-63 the "tweens"?
Asking for a friend.
5 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:31 pm

I'm doing OK with Korean and the 365 challenge so far. It is actually fairly easy for me to hit the 30 minutes, but I need to kick it up a notch really. I have only been doing Pimsuler which is 30 minutes and my Anki decks which take me 15-30 minutes per day. I also try to read a couple of pages of a grammar book each evening before going to bed.

I find this book useful, and I'm reading it cover to cover, slooooowwwwwly. It is useful because I'm picking up some grammar hints about things I've already seen before while taking lessons, reading or trying to listen to Pimsleur. So if you want a grammar book for Korean, I recommend this one. I have only made it to unit 7 of the book so far. It is going to take me a long time. But I think that when I'm done I'll start again at the beginning in order to pick up more stuff I missed along the way.

I seriously doubt I'm going to be at a level which will be of any use when I land in Korea. :(

I continue to plod through the French book. I have this tendency to read it in fits and starts. I am focused on Korean, so I only allow myself to read in any language after I've done at least 30 minutes of Korean. But when I have the chance I try to fit this in and hope to list this one as completed soon. It will be book 17 of 22, so only 4 more after that.

I had a look through the Italian books which are next on the hit list to read and get rid of. I honestly think I'm going to enjoy reading in Italian waaaayyyy more than reading French.

So little if no "classics" to read, and most of the books look like they are fun.
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”