Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17/18 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:14 pm

My thought on your transcribing idea is that that is a hell of a lot of transcription. I’ve done a couple of dozen hours of transcription in Indonesian and it’s hard work and takes a long time. Professionals charge for up to 6x the length of the text eg 1 hour = 6 hours fee for jobs where there are multiple overlapping voices because that’s how long it can take.

I’m not trying to discourage you and what do I know - you may like it more than I did. Be prepared to do 6000+ minutes of transcription. I didn’t really mind it at the time but I couldn’t imagine doing it for that long once I got good enough to read extensively and watch easy shows.

I think working on things with transcripts may be a good idea for french with its homophonic verb endings.

I guess it will really make you focus on things you don’t know which is good - I wonder if it is the most efficient way to do that. I look forward to reading how you find the experiment. I’m all for experiments too!
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:39 am

rdearman wrote:I've done a little of this, and it certainly helped a little, so would a lot help a lot?

Is this the purpose of the experiment? What is the purpose or aim of the experiment? Will you take Dialang tests before and after the experiment?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've done a little of this, and it certainly helped a little, so would a lot help a lot?

Is this the purpose of the experiment? What is the purpose or aim of the experiment? Will you take Dialang tests before and after the experiment?

I didn't really have any intention of taking a test. I will know if my comprehension improves and this isn't a scientific study, just a little trial for myself which will produce only anecdotal evidence. However I do plan to mark my transcriptions with errors out of 100 words and track this. Hopefully it will show an improvement in comprehension.
Adrianslont wrote:My thought on your transcribing idea is that that is a hell of a lot of transcription. I’ve done a couple of dozen hours of transcription in Indonesian and it’s hard work and takes a long time.

Yes, I've done it myself before and it is really hard work. I'm still thinking about how to do this. I don't think I'll be doing transcription in the sense of going over it 6 times in order to get it right. I'm thinking that I would restrict myself to only allowing myself to have two repeats of the track and transcribe what I thought I heard. Then review it against a real transcription in order to get marks out of 100 words.

Anyone know any French dialogue with good transcriptions for free download?
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 am

rdearman wrote:I'm thinking that I would restrict myself to only allowing myself to have two repeats of the track and transcribe what I thought I heard. Then review it against a real transcription in order to get marks out of 100 words.

What's the difference between transcription and dictée?
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 am

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:I'm thinking that I would restrict myself to only allowing myself to have two repeats of the track and transcribe what I thought I heard. Then review it against a real transcription in order to get marks out of 100 words.

With transcription you can have conversations, different voices, background noise, varied speed and of course context clues from the observed video.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am

smallwhite wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but dictation (which appears to be the English translation) means: "Dictation is the speaking or reading aloud of words for someone else to write down."

Transcription is the write down the words from an audio clip or other media. Or a written or printed version of something; a transcript. So I think a dictée is probably a sub-set of the transcription set.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 am

rdearman wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but dictation (which appears to be the English translation) means: "Dictation is the speaking or reading aloud of words for someone else to write down."

Transcription is the write down the words from an audio clip or other media. Or a written or printed version of something; a transcript. So I think a dictée is probably a sub-set of the transcription set.

Maybe transcription is self-inflicted dictée. Here's a whip for you: http://www.workaudiobook.com/
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Still looking for French audio with transcriptions. Any suggestions welcome.

After a lot of serious consideration I've discovered another issue I'll need to overcome. Keyboards. Obvious if I'm going to do transcription and mark my errors on spelling, etc. then I'm going to need a French keyboard (or switch my existing one when transcribing) which means I need to learn touch typing in French. Sigh.

Another thing I've thought about is marking errors. I'll probably end up doing this manually, but I would prefer not to. It would be nice to have the computer align the text, then mark the deviations. I could use diff (commandline programming tool) which shows the differences in lines, but I found wdiff recently which shows differences on a word basis not a line basis. So this might be better for my purposes.

If I don't overcome the keyboard issue, then the automation of error checking will fail, since it will fail on every accented character. I think I'll have a trial run with a book from Librivox because I will get audio & text without a lot of hassle and it will be only one speaker.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

rdearman wrote:After a lot of serious consideration I've discovered another issue I'll need to overcome. Keyboards. Obvious if I'm going to do transcription and mark my errors on spelling, etc. then I'm going to need a French keyboard (or switch my existing one when transcribing) which means I need to learn touch typing in French. Sigh.

The French azerty keyboard is horrible, amongst other things you need to hold Shift key to write a full stop sign or a number. I'd recommend you either use a Canadian keyboard or as I do, the Spanish keyboard layout. Both are qwerty. What I like about the Spanish keyboard is that it is easy to type the accent on the vowels, and it also has the Ç because it caters for Catalan as well.
2 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Ogrim wrote:
rdearman wrote:After a lot of serious consideration I've discovered another issue I'll need to overcome. Keyboards. Obvious if I'm going to do transcription and mark my errors on spelling, etc. then I'm going to need a French keyboard (or switch my existing one when transcribing) which means I need to learn touch typing in French. Sigh.

The French azerty keyboard is horrible, amongst other things you need to hold Shift key to write a full stop sign or a number. I'd recommend you either use a Canadian keyboard or as I do, the Spanish keyboard layout. Both are qwerty. What I like about the Spanish keyboard is that it is easy to type the accent on the vowels, and it also has the Ç because it caters for Catalan as well.

However, like the Italian keyboard there are a lot of accented characters which it doesn't cater for. â, ê, î, ô, û, ë, ï, ü. So really if I want to type in French then Azerty is probably the way to go. It is a pity the Italian keyboard has the same issue as the Spanish one, since I use both those languages. :(

Perhaps I need to start learning to type before I start this challenge. :(

EDIT: Quick update, I downloaded the Universal Declaration of Human RIghts (French Version) with transcription. Did a little trial with the English keyboard, and it is a real pain. I also think I need to switch applications from the Otranscribe to another program. Actually Libreoffice might be better since I can get the spell checking working in French. (hopefully)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”