Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:32 am

rdearman wrote:I will check it out. Some things like this freak me out. For example, someone will start speaking Italian and then suddenly it will be overlayed with someone dubbing what they are saying in French. At which point I can't seem to understand either! :lol:
There's an English subtitles version, you get some narration in German, but the interviewees speak italian.

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/RC-021430 ... us-apulia/
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm

rdearman wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:Arte have some travel/cookery programmes set in Italy that you might like: Délices des Pouilles
Un voyage culinaire à travers l'extrême sud de l’Italie. De Bari, la capitale, aux presque-îles de Gargano et Salento, découvrez la richesse de la région des Pouilles avec son climat méditerranéen et ses 300 jours de soleil par an. Au menu, un carpaccio au mulet entre terre et mer ou encore les fameux Ostecchiene, des hosties fourrées à base d’amandes.

I will check it out. Some things like this freak me out. For example, someone will start speaking Italian and then suddenly it will be overlayed with someone dubbing what they are saying in French. At which point I can't seem to understand either! :lol:

The same thing happens to me when they play English in the background of a Spanish or French narration. My strategy? Stop the video and move on to something else. :D
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:25 am

Les animaux de la guerre by Frederik Pohl a translation of the book "Slave Ship". I completed the book and my review is. Meh. It is ok, not great. It was written in 1957 and was his first solo book, but not great. Perhaps I would have been more into it if I'd read it in English, but probably not. The ending was a bit lame, it was pretty unbelievable that they would meet the big high priest guy on a small island, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm moving on now, and I've decided to read Stendhal. This monster is 824 pages, including all the preface and postface commentary about the author and how it is a classic and blah, blah, blah. I will not be reading any of this crap. Life is too short, and I'm just going to read the novel, which still amounts to 661 pages ! I'm getting myself ready for all the long 19th century run-on sentences and the 25 pages of description and all the other junk that is in most "Classic Literature".

I am honestly looking at this book as a torture device. I hope it is better than I anticipate, hopefully I'll actually enjoy it.

On a side note, I've doing Pimsleur Korean, which a friend I met at one of the Polyglot gatherings has loaned me. I'm doing this every day on the train, and I leave it running in the background when I'm working from home. I need to do some serious study as well of Korean. So, this will only add to the length of time it takes me to make my way through the painful French Classic.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 am

I have only read 40 pages of this book so far, but the reading is easy and straightforward. Much easier to read than I thought it would be. Still full of long descriptions, and the main character didn't get introduced until chapter five. But that is just the way they did things in old novels. I'm sure I read this as a teenager (along time ago !) and I remember quitting about 1/4 of the way through because it was boring. :lol:
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:43 am

rdearman wrote:Anyway, I'm moving on now, and I've decided to read Stendhal. This monster is 824 pages, including all the preface and postface commentary about the author and how it is a classic and blah, blah, blah. I will not be reading any of this crap. Life is too short, and I'm just going to read the novel, which still amounts to 661 pages ! I'm getting myself ready for all the long 19th century run-on sentences and the 25 pages of description and all the other junk that is in most "Classic Literature".

I've heard rumours that those long descriptions are supposed to be enjoyed, like a stride around a well-maintained fresh-smelling garden... Can't deny I have yet to manage to do that though.

I don't have much to comment on but I've been appreciating your progress reading all these works! :)

rdearman wrote:I have only read 40 pages of this book so far, but the reading is easy and straightforward. Much easier to read than I thought it would be. Still full of long descriptions, and the main character didn't get introduced until chapter five. But that is just the way they did things in old novels. I'm sure I read this as a teenager (along time ago !) and I remember quitting about 1/4 of the way through because it was boring. :lol:

They really did things differently in other book cultures, didn't they? I'm reminded of the Chinese "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" (of which I read an abridged translation of), where the protagonist Liu Bei dies about 2/3 of the way... and so you're left with 1/3 of the novel without the character the author had been trying to get you invested on.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:49 am

This book seems to be going much better than I had anticipated, and I've managed to get through about 220 pages so far. So 2 super challenge books.
:lol:

With the new job, podcast, learning Korean and a video madness challenge that I accepted with Dave Prine and Kris Broholm it is a busy time for me! The video challenge is to come up with some new video content each week for a year and post it. This is surprisingly difficult, but fun. So if you haven't checked out my YT Channel have a look, I'm putting out new stuff each week. Sometimes language related, sometimes electronics, sometimes random stuff. This week for example, I did another Homemade Portable Camping Stove video. I wasn't happy with the last design, so I revisited it. You need to check out my mad bushcrafting skills. You have to wait until the end to see it.

Shameless self-promotion I know, but hey, who else listens to me?
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:07 pm

I am only 10 pages away from reaching Book II. Seems this book is really a book in two parts. But either way I'm almost halfway through. Again I understand all the stuff where people are doing things, but I struggle when the characters are thinking long meaningful thought, which they are apt to do in this book. This book is a character exploration novel, I do remember it, and yes I did stop about quarter of the way through when I was reading the English translation. But this time that isn't an option and I must continue to soldier on through. I really don't know if this is helping my French. I haven't been able to speak with my French friend for almost two months now, so nobody to test it on.

I have managed to find two native Korean speakers who are willing to spend some time teaching me some basic phrases! Yay! So hopefully I'll learn a little something before my trip.

Not language related, you can ignore this part:

I have entered into this Video challenge to produce a video every week for my YT channel. At first this was easy, but now coming up with ideas for videos is a bit of a struggle. Since wayyyyyy more people read this log than watch my videos, I thought I would ask here for some suggestions? Anyone have any suggestions for things I could cover? Pile on the suggestions, either here or in the comments on YT. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:56 pm

rdearman wrote:I have entered into this Video challenge to produce a video every week for my YT channel. At first this was easy, but now coming up with ideas for videos is a bit of a struggle. Since wayyyyyy more people read this log than watch my videos, I thought I would ask here for some suggestions?

How about some book reviews?
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:12 pm

luke wrote:
rdearman wrote:I have entered into this Video challenge to produce a video every week for my YT channel. At first this was easy, but now coming up with ideas for videos is a bit of a struggle. Since wayyyyyy more people read this log than watch my videos, I thought I would ask here for some suggestions?

How about some book reviews?

I can give that a try, although I'd have to read a lot faster ! :lol:
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:14 pm

rdearman wrote:I have entered into this Video challenge to produce a video every week for my YT channel. At first this was easy, but now coming up with ideas for videos is a bit of a struggle. Since wayyyyyy more people read this log than watch my videos, I thought I would ask here for some suggestions? Anyone have any suggestions for things I could cover? Pile on the suggestions, either here or in the comments on YT. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Recipes?

I listened to a history/recipe piece about a plum cake the other day, apparently it plums are not used in a plum cake!

https://www.europe1.fr/emissions/delice ... ke-4067671

https://bonnat-chocolatier.com/en/e-sho ... /plum-cake

EDIT
1. You've mentioned completing a marathon in the past, you could do a video one what you'd do to prepare for one today.

2. You've published several books, you could do a how to write/how to publish a book video.

3. I know you've got lots of French books to read, NEVERTHELESS I came across one the other day that you might want to add to your to-read list - Ada ou la beauté des nombres (Ada Lovelace biography).
Last edited by DaveAgain on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”