Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:50 pm

Mille splendidi soli is a great book. I read it in Dutch (Duizend schitterende zonnen).

Is the Korean grammar/workbook a hefty tome? I have the Spanish and the Italian ones of the series and I find them anything but 'basic'. If they are basic, what's in the intermediate/advanced?!

I've had basic grammar books for both German and Dutch (not Routledge) and they only had about 120 pages.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:29 pm

Le Baron wrote:Is the Korean grammar/workbook a hefty tome? I have the Spanish and the Italian ones of the series and I find them anything but 'basic'. If they are basic, what's in the intermediate/advanced?!

It is 257 pages, so it isn't really very "basic" but it covers basically everything you need, so maybe it is basic? :)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:13 pm

rdearman wrote:

So little if no "classics" to read, and most of the books look like they are fun.
The Buzzati and the Calvino look interesting, if only because I have read something by each (but can't remember what or even when). John Brunner writes science ficition, no?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:57 pm

Which of those books are you most interested in reading? Would you say your favorite genre is sci fi?
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:55 am

Le Baron wrote:Is the Korean grammar/workbook a hefty tome? I have the Spanish and the Italian ones of the series and I find them anything but 'basic'. If they are basic, what's in the intermediate/advanced?!

I'd say the same for the Persian. It's not so much the length; it just took no prisoners at all. I started through the 'Basic' after TY & lots of other bits and pieces, and found it good but hard. It was a great intermediate book, and shed lots of fresh light on how the language works, but definitely not where I'd start!
1 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:48 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:John Brunner writes science ficition, no?

John Brunner writes science fiction yes. :)

StringerBell wrote:Which of those books are you most interested in reading? Would you say your favorite genre is sci fi?

Of these books I would say probably the John Brunner book, but mainly because it looks like an easy read. There are a lot of books I didn't find cover art for, or was too lazy to find, which I plan to read. Like this one (I have the entire trilogy bound into one volume)

Science Fiction and Fantasy are probably my favourites. I have a significant number of electronic books, but I won't be doing those in either my French or Italian challenge just because the purpose is to clear the bookshelves. The wife has had enough. :)

Beli Tsar wrote: It was a great intermediate book, and shed lots of fresh light on how the language works, but definitely not where I'd start!

Well, I've never been known to do things the easy way. Even when given an easy way to do something I normally find some way to screw it up and make it difficult. :lol:
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:03 pm

Yay! I'm done. Actually this book was very short and the copy I downloaded from Gutenberg had another small pay included, so technically I read two books. But it was ok, the language was easier (Gotta love dialogue). So now I'm going to move on to my old friend Stendhal. *groan*

I read Le Jeu de l'amour et du hasard, on the Kindle, but I think I'll probably read Stendhal using the paperback. I found it was a little too easy to just look up words on the Kindle and it kept me from figuring things out in context. I can't actually find the cover art for the book I own, if you're wondering why I have different covers for La Chartreuse de Parme.
10 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:25 pm

rdearman wrote:I read Le Jeu de l'amour et du hasard, on the Kindle, but I think I'll probably read Stendhal using the paperback. I found it was a little too easy to just look up words on the Kindle and it kept me from figuring things out in context. I can't actually find the cover art for the book I own, if you're wondering why I have different covers for La Chartreuse de Parme.

The Charterhouse was, if memory serves, the book Tolstoy said gave him the idea of how to portray battle scenes. The Red Badge of Courage smacks a bit of Stendhal's method, too, though whether Crane read Stendhal I don't know. So at least there is some fighting to look forward to. Have fun and good luck!
6 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:57 pm

rdearman wrote:Actually this book was very short and the copy I downloaded from Gutenberg had another small pay included, so technically I read two books. But it was ok, the language was easier (Gotta love dialogue).

Indeed, as I'm finding out by reading more plays than novels. They fly by and hold the interest better.
4 x

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 pm

rdearman wrote:

I find this book useful, and I'm reading it cover to cover, slooooowwwwwly. It is useful because I'm picking up some grammar hints about things I've already seen before while taking lessons, reading or trying to listen to Pimsleur. So if you want a grammar book for Korean, I recommend this one. I have only made it to unit 7 of the book so far. It is going to take me a long time. But I think that when I'm done I'll start again at the beginning in order to pick up more stuff I missed along the way.

I seriously doubt I'm going to be at a level which will be of any use when I land in Korea. :(

I like the Routledge grammar books a lot. They're definitely more for reference but I sometimes do read front-to-back (grammar nerd alert!) even if I don't absorb it all so well.

I'm also a firm believer in "multiple passes." I've been doing that with a number of resources: First pass: read through and absorb what makes sense and sinks in, and allow some things to just not make sense. Second pass: same thing, but more sinks in. This is really working well when I have multiple resources, and there's usually a lot of overlap (thus reinforcement) of many concepts and patterns.There are definitely many "AHA" moments on the 2nd or 3rd pass!

How's the grammar in your opinion of Korean overall? What's the hardest part of speaking for you?
6 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

Return to “Language logs”