Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Jar-Ptitsa wrote:If you want to speak French in London you should go to South Kensington.

Just try not to cry anytime you pay for anything. :lol:
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:00 am

iguanamon wrote: Is there a local school teacher of French who could benefit from some of your language-learning methods. Most of these folks have never even heard of the methods we use here everyday. Just some ideas.

Wow, you have no idea how much this one appeals to me. I have a bit of time at the moment and I'e been looking to invest some of that time in doing more public speaking. I like the idea of being a guest speaker for a high school and telling them about all the cool stuff they could be doing to learn a language. I think might ring around some schools in the area and ask if they'd be interested in a quick half hour speech,
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 am

I say do implement the boat thing.
Imaging doing fly fishing with the boat. Later while arranging your precious flies or waiting for the fish to bite, you may choose to listen to a language sound track or not.
On a lake or in a river, you will have to pay the queen, if you don't have a pal who owns a private pond. But that's perhaps still less troublesome than finding suitable French language exchange partners.
If you sail on see water, you may end up learning Dutch, as lots of Dutchmen sail across the strait and you will be tempted to ...
Last edited by BalancingAct on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 am

iguanamon wrote:I have no idea where you live in the south of England, but I'll bet there is somewhere you could use your French and Italian. Are there forums/facebook groups for French/Italian immigrants in your nearby area? Are there immigrants from Francophone Africa who would like help learning English?
Gumtree.com (Craigslist UK?) has a language exchange section.

Home page > Community > Skills & language swap
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 am

Rick,

Thank you so much for sharing what you have. You have raised several very critical issues and have been so honest; it is greatly appreciated.

I especially like your comment: "Language learning is bloody hard work." It puts things in perspective.

And thank you also for the YouTube discussions; great concept: great execution-seriously. I feel as if by you doing that it has enabled us language learners to come out into the daylight.

edit: to add re hard work
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:08 pm

Carmody wrote:And thank you also for the YouTube discussions; great concept: great execution-seriously. I feel as if by you doing that it has enabled us language learners to come out into the daylight.

Dave and I are always looking for new topics, so feel free to leave a comment on the videos if you want to talk about something specifically.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Rick

How do I leave a message on the site at Lollygagging? It says in the message area my first and last name will come up if I leave a message. Is there a way to put an alias in? The internet is a pretty rough and tumble place for full disclosure of first and last name.

Thanks.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Carmody wrote:Rick

How do I leave a message on the site at Lollygagging? It says in the message area my first and last name will come up if I leave a message. Is there a way to put an alias in? The internet is a pretty rough and tumble place for full disclosure of first and last name.

Thanks.

It normally puts in the details from your Facebook, or Google account, which every you used to sign up with. (Probably Google). If you google for it you can find out how to adjust the settings. Here is a place I found, but didn't test.

https://www.sotrender.com/resources/kno ... -username/
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Rick

You are brilliant; thanks so much.

So I went there and did that and left some suggestions.

Thanks again.
;)
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 pm

This week I didn't have an iTalki lesson booked, but did spend a couple hours with my neighbour who tutors in French. This isn't normally speaking practice (or at least not much) it is normally translations from En->Fr on the fly. These are normally things like past, future tense, conditional, etc.. Also a lot of listening while she speaks in French. So this is useful, but in a different way than the conversation practice I get with iTalki.

I've been reading more of my second Stephen King book, and because I had a long commute on the train today I got more done than usual on that front. Still there isn't any way I'll manage to complete the reading portion of the Super Challenge, so I'm more or less resigned to failing that part.

Christmas is coming up, and I'm going to park language learning for the remainder of the year, although I'll continue to read a little. With my house full of people it isn't going to be easy for me to sit and watch foreign language films.

Dave and I made another video this week but plagued by technical difficulties. My Internet connection died and I had to do the whole thing with my phone, so audio only. I edited some photos (mostly the Polyglot Gathering), jokes and comments on to the video portion, while Dave edited the audio with music and out-takes at the end. I've always trying to mention the forum during these things and give the link to the forum in each of the videos. I think it would be nice to get some of the YouTube language learners to come over here and have a look around. So if you feel you can share it, please do! I talked to all our subscribers, ,and they both agreed it would be cool. :mrgreen:

Also we're thinking about having some guests on in the new year if anyone is interested?

5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”