Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby german2k01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:26 pm

command_prompt.JPG
Rick,

I did not notice it the first time around. I am still having problems. The end file is "merging" both files. First "French" then "English" at the bottom but not in a bilingual format. I am using Windows 10 and attaching screenshots for your consideration. Let me know where I am doing something wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Rick,

I have downloaded PDFTK Builder (from the second link).

By using this software what steps should I follow for creating a bilingual book?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 pm

german2k01 wrote:
command_prompt.JPG
Rick,

I did not notice it the first time around. I am still having problems. The end file is "merging" both files. First "French" then "English" at the bottom but not in a bilingual format. I am using Windows 10 and attaching screenshots for your consideration. Let me know where I am doing something wrong.

You spelled "shuffle" wrong. I think that is the issue.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:24 pm

rdearman wrote:
german2k01 wrote:
command_prompt.JPG
Rick,

You spelled "shuffle" wrong. I think that is the issue.

Yup! You are a computer nerd! :D It worked. This is what happens when you see German all day long (German has this "sch" a lot and your subconscious mind is incorporating it into English spelling.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:45 pm

Although this book is way easier than most of the other French books I've had in the queue, I'm still not even halfway through. Just because I don't have time to do it. Even though I have cut back just about everything I'm doing I am not finding any more time to read. I just need to make it a bit of a priority, but the snag is if I do that, then what drops from the list?

Korean update. Man, this language is !"%$ hard! The main difficulty for me is I'm still struggling to "sound out words" which are written in Hangul. My teacher doesn't allow that Romanization nonsense, and he just writes everything in Hangul, and I'm supposed to read it out, and remember the word.

So I find this interesting because I have looked into things like pattern matching and things which humans do. A lot of the ability of children to pronounce new words comes from pattern matching abilities.
As readers develop some fluency, they decode words by using spelling patterns from the words they know. Made, fade, blade, and shade all have the same spelling pattern, and the a is pronounced the same in all four. When you see the made‐up word hade, your mind accesses that known spelling pattern and you give the made‐up word the same pronunciation you have for other words with that spelling pattern. Spelling patterns are letters that are commonly seen together in a certain position in words. The al at the end of legal, royal, and the made‐up word pregal is a spelling pattern. Sometimes a spelling pattern can be a single letter, as the a is in agree, about, adopt, and the made‐up word afuse. Using words you know to decode unknown words is called decoding by analogy.

So for Korean readers it will be the same, they will have a huge catalogue of patterns in their head which they can match the new word against a figure out the pronunciation. This process is almost instantaneous for a native speaker. In the quote above, a native English speaker would have instantaneously pronounced the made up word "hade". I don't have this fluency in the Korean alphabet nor the catalogue of patterns to match against. So I still "sound out" the words like you often see kindergarteners do, saying the sound of each letter in turn and trying to join them all up into a single sound bite.

Also, I'm not fantastic with the pronunciation rules for when you get things like double consonants and when sounds change because you're sort of "merging" two syllables. So I have been given lots of homework to practice reading, that I don't have time to do either. :( Because just like English some letters have different pronunciation depending on where they are located in a word or what letter they are beside. An example in English would be, the "C" in Crap /k/ or Cite /s/.

For my homework I'm trying to read the words in this video and sing along.

Here is the same song again with a translation if you're interested.

5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:52 pm

We seem to have opposite problems in Korean.

You can't read the written word--I can't comprehend the spoken one!

In a similar fashion to sounding out written out words and having to parse sounds out individually, that's what I have to do with Korean spoken sounds.

It's tough, but I'm getting there!

I'm sure you'll get there, too :)

May I also recommend Jonghyun of SHINee's "You Did Well"? This phrase is popular in Korean, or perhaps your teacher told you. So there are many songs with the phrase in it.
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm planning to start another season of the Autodidactic Podcast in January. The only problem is I don't really know what to cover. I think I covered most of the general topics in the first 3 seasons. So, any suggestions about what to cover for autodidactics.

Definition of autodidact
: a self-taught person

I was thinking I could probably do half a season on Mental Maths and how to add, subtract, multiply, divide faster mentally. But then what about the next half of the season? Or the season after that?

Anyone have any suggestions they'd like to make. I've sort of been deliberately avoiding language learning, since the YT channel is more or less dedicated to that sort of stuff.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:19 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm planning to start another season of the Autodidactic Podcast in January. The only problem is I don't really know what to cover. I think I covered most of the general topics in the first 3 seasons. So, any suggestions about what to cover for autodidactics.

Definition of autodidact
: a self-taught person

I was thinking I could probably do half a season on Mental Maths and how to add, subtract, multiply, divide faster mentally. But then what about the next half of the season? Or the season after that?

Anyone have any suggestions they'd like to make. I've sort of been deliberately avoiding language learning, since the YT channel is more or less dedicated to that sort of stuff.
I think Samuel Smiles' Self-help had a number of bios of self-educated people, that might provide some topics.

---

You mentioned the other day you were looking at some military strategy books, I think Churchill's Life of Marlborough is supposed to be good in that regard.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Most of season two was bios. Thanks for the suggestions though.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:22 pm

rdearman wrote:Anyone have any suggestions they'd like to make. I've sort of been deliberately avoiding language learning, since the YT channel is more or less dedicated to that sort of stuff.

What are the topics you've already covered? Without knowing that I can suggest a discussion around PolyMath vs Autodidact or Autodidct Polymaths? Other topics Dunning Kruger effect among autodidact? Art Brute? On-line sleuths? The idiot Savant, Prodigy and the Autodidact.
Prince, the musician...

I'm impressed you're doing Korean.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language logs”