Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Rdearman 2016-22 원숭이도 나무에서 떨어질 때가 있다 (Sometimes even monkeys fall from trees)

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:05 pm

rdearman wrote:The idea here is to use the symbols as prompts for a story. It can be used to help generate sentences, for example if I used the 3 dice at the bottom of the picture I might come up with a sentence like: "When he was young, the Buddha grew flowers for money." or use the top 3 dice you might come up with "John hallucinated riding a horse and sailing a ship while he was eating mushrooms."

Of course, most people using story cubes are inventing stories not sentences, so you might write a short story which incorporates the elements on the dice.

How cool! Methinks you could post the idea as a Print & Play game here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecate ... print-play
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016-22 원숭이도 나무에서 떨어질 때가 있다 (Sometimes even monkeys fall from trees)

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:54 pm

Swift update about this book.

I'm parking this until later. It has a lot higher percentage of unknown vocabulary and I feel this one is going to need a lot more work. So I'm going to switch to a Stephen King book. I have it physically and as an ebook, but more importantly SK tends to use very basic vocabulary without all the flowerly descriptions I was finding in the other book. So I think it will be easier for me.

6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:14 pm

I have a query. Some people read my log and appeared to have enjoyed my description of my trip to Korea. For my birthday, my daughter organised a trip to Milan for me by myself to practice Italian. So I've decided that from the minute the plane departs from the UK until my return flight lands, I'm only going to use Italian. I'm going to try to think only in Italian and speak only in Italian.

I was thinking about writing up my trip each day while I'm there in my log, but I don't think I'm capable of doing that in Italian, and if I did, there wouldn't be a lot of point since there are less Italian speakers reading the log than English speakers.

So my conundrum is, do I make an exception and write in my log in English? Or just wait until I return?

Opinions?
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:22 pm

rdearman wrote:So I've decided that from the minute the plane departs from the UK until my return flight lands, I'm only going to use Italian. I'm going to try to think only in Italian and speak only in Italian.
(...)
So my conundrum is, do I make an exception and write in my log in English? Or just wait until I return?

I'd read your log in any of your target languages.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:36 pm

rdearman

I vote for your log in English. The one in Korea was great.

Fighting!!!
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:38 pm

rdearman wrote:I was thinking about writing up my trip each day while I'm there in my log, but I don't think I'm capable of doing that in Italian,
You could keep an audio/video diary. Or just accept there are going to be spelling mistakes, and vocabulary gaps filled in with English-Italian-hybrids.
and if I did, there wouldn't be a lot of point since there are less Italian speakers reading the log than English speakers.
You could write a highlights post in English when you get back. :-)
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Either language in any medium, just so long as you do one, please. The Korean log was good reading.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:55 pm

I would be happy to read your log in Italian. I find writing in Italian a bit of a slog. One of these years I'm going focus on it.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:45 pm

rdearman wrote: I was thinking about writing up my trip each day while I'm there in my log, but I don't think I'm capable of doing that in Italian, and if I did, there wouldn't be a lot of point since there are less Italian speakers reading the log than English speakers.

Opinions?

My vote is to write daily updates in Italian while you're there and when you get back maybe summarize the trip in English for non-Italian readers? I enjoyed reading about your Korea trip immensely, so I'll be reading whether it's in English or Italian.
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 pm

StringerBell wrote:
rdearman wrote: I was thinking about writing up my trip each day while I'm there in my log, but I don't think I'm capable of doing that in Italian, and if I did, there wouldn't be a lot of point since there are less Italian speakers reading the log than English speakers.

Opinions?

My vote is to write daily updates in Italian while you're there and when you get back maybe summarize the trip in English for non-Italian readers? I enjoyed reading about your Korea trip immensely, so I'll be reading whether it's in English or Italian.

I'm also concerned about showing off my very poor Italian writing skills. :shock:
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”