Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17/18 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:I think broad rules about grammar need to be known in order to get sentence structure correct, but I'm perfectly happy to brutalise someone else's language.

I think you said you want to be C1 in French. One can't reach C1 with poor carefree grammar. How do you handle this gap?

I gave up on being C1. (It is the path of least resistance, the way of the lazy fist. :lol: )

A serious answer however. If I use my native English as an example. I didn't actually know the rule about using "a" vs using "an" until I was well into my 30's. Around about the same time I learned the rules about "it's" and "its", and I still use split infinitives on occasion. This hasn't held me back in my life, I've managed to pass the majority of my life without anyone telling me that my English isn't at an acceptable level. So if I can be an native speaker with poor grammar why not a C1 French speaker. When I say that I think the broad rules of grammar should be known, I mean things like tense agreement, subject verb agreement, irregular verbs, etc. but you don't need to know every grammar rule, nor memorise every grammar rule in a language. Obviously givers of language exams are prescriptive grammarians. :)

The idea of descriptive grammar and prescriptive grammar is where a descriptive grammarian would say a sentence is “grammatical” if a native speaker of the language would produce that sentence in speaking. A prescriptive grammarian, on the other hand, would say something is grammatical only if the surface form conforms to a set of rules the grammarian believes should be followed in order for a certain grammar style is achieved.

I have a laissez-faire approach to grammar. If it leaves me alone, I'll leave it alone. I figure (probably incorrectly) if I learn to structure my sentences like natives do then I will be ok. I expect there are a HUGE number of English speakers who use the word "ain't", but ain't, ain't a word. If you use the word in an English examination, you'll probably be marked down, but if you talk to just about any English speaker in the world you'll be fine.

So while I want my level to be CX, and I probably would need to test out to determine my level, I ain't really got any need for it. I can live my life free in the knowledge that I ain't ever going to need a CX certification in French.

As far as addressing the gap. What I've been doing is getting feedback from speakers during my iTalki lessons and trying to incorporate what they tell me. I try to copy sentence structure from what I've read, or watched and on occasion I have read a grammar book. I attempt to remember the broad rules which would really mark me out as Tarzan, but I'm not too concerned with the detail of it all.

Also another problem is that grammar has to be internalised. If I stand for 10 minutes trying to construct the perfect grammatically correct sentence then I'm going to be ignored at best. I think I need to see and hear lots of correct sentences and practice reproduction of the same.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 am

rdearman wrote:So while I want my level to be CX, and I probably would need to test out to determine my level, I ain't really got any need for it.

I understand you don't need a French certificate. Or French, or a boat.

How grammatically accurate would you realistically like to be? How many errors out of 100 words written?

Btw, do your flashcards have gender information? "Femme" or "la femme" or "femme (f)"?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:30 am

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:So while I want my level to be CX, and I probably would need to test out to determine my level, I ain't really got any need for it.

I understand you don't need a French certificate. Or French, or a boat.

How grammatically accurate would you realistically like to be? How many errors out of 100 words written?

Btw, do your flashcards have gender information? "Femme" or "la femme" or "femme (f)"?

I haven't actually tracked errors per 100 words. Although that is a very good metric! Most of my cards are sentence cards, so I the gender information is already encoded in the sentence. Where I do use single word cards I haven't put the gender on the card.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:If you want a progress bar, how about one that shows the percentage of words you transcribed correctly. To keep it from going wildly up and down, you could take an average of the last ten transcriptions. That way if you did unusually well or unusually poorly on one transcription, it wouldn’t make a huge difference. And hopefully over time you will approach the 100 % mark.

OK, so what do I do when I'm actually getting worse? I got 81% wrong today. :oops:

Again this mostly spelling errors, words which sound similar to English words I keep spelling the English way, which is wrong. In order to combat some of the issues I'm having with spelling rather than comprehension after I've completed my transcription, then counted the errors I copied the passage back from the French text correctly so that I could start to re-enforce the French spelling in my brain. Some of my previous mistakes didn't happen this time around because I had reviewed the original French and therefore knew the correct spelling. That worked and I'd only just looked at the words, so I'm hoping that actually writing them out will help more the next time.

Again I don't know how this will work for my listening comprehension, but it seems to be doing wonders for my spelling and writing. I'm going to count this toward my Output Challenge words, since it is in the spirit and it is helping with my written French.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm

How does one tracking point show you are getting worse? Trust the process. If a week from now you actually are consistently at 92% wrong, go get a brain scan. There will be bad test days but I'm sure you are getting better.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm

rdearman wrote:
je français déteste maintenant.
(BTW, I meant I was hating the French language when typing, not French people, but figured most would work it out.)

rdearman wrote:
... some of the errors I marked myself with:
"le" instead of "les"

So lots of errors, but nothing which was actually causing me to misunderstand.

The 2 quotes above are about different things, but I noticed a coincidence. Can you guess why I bolded those 5 words/phrases?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
je français déteste maintenant.
(BTW, I meant I was hating the French language when typing, not French people, but figured most would work it out.)

rdearman wrote:
... some of the errors I marked myself with:
"le" instead of "les"

So lots of errors, but nothing which was actually causing me to misunderstand.

The 2 quotes above are about different things, but I noticed a coincidence. Can you guess why I bolded those 5 words/phrases?

I am guessing you're pointing out my poor grammar?
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:52 pm

rdearman wrote:I am guessing you're pointing out my poor grammar?

It is about grammar. There is a coincidence.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:I am guessing you're pointing out my poor grammar?

It is about grammar. There is a coincidence.

A French coincidence, specifically.

Il marche.
Ils marchent.

How different do those sentences sound?
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Very slight difference. :) Closer to zero difference than slight.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”