Rdearman 2016/17/18/19/20/21 [One good deed is better than a thousand good intentions]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19/20/21 [One good deed is better than a thousand good intentions]

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 pm

lingua wrote:I have read the first Camilleri book (La forma d'acqua) in Italian and found it easier than I was expecting since I had also read that it was difficult for Italians. However, I reread the English version at the same time, listened to the audito book and watched the same episode all at the same time. My sporadic Sicilian studies might help with the dialect as well.

Grazie. I'm reading the first one now. It isn't too difficult, but there are some words that are confusing. I'll have to reference this dictionary next time I run across an unknown word. :)
0 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining italiano (B2ish)
Studying português, Deutsch, français
Dabbling in siciliano, Latina, piemontèis
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19/20/21 [One good deed is better than a thousand good intentions]

Postby lingua » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:21 pm

I don't know if you have the English version but they have a glossary of some of the Siclian terminology but I notice that isn't in my Italian verison so if you have any specific questions you could post them and I can see if there is any additional information.

I should start the second book myself. I had intended to much sooner but I'm easily distracted.
0 x
Super Challenge 2020-21:
film: 8355 / 9000 books: 5430 / 5000 IT
film: 7199 / 9000 books: 177 / 5000 DE
film: 8764 / 9000 books: 1998 / 5000 FR, PT, PMS, SCN

Output Challenge 2021:
IT: wrote: 317 / 50000 recorded: 686 / 3000
PT: wrote: 3512 / 50000 recorded: 22 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 7 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 pm

lingua wrote:I don't know if you have the English version but they have a glossary of some of the Siclian terminology but I notice that isn't in my Italian verison so if you have any specific questions you could post them and I can see if there is any additional information.

I should start the second book myself. I had intended to much sooner but I'm easily distracted.

I don't have the English versions. But I have been reading the first one for the last 2 days, and I've only just got to 50% of the book. Given that I have 30 books by Mr. Camilleri I seriously doubt I'll make an appreciable dent in them in only four days. Having said that, a couple of years ago for the Super Challenge I decided to re-read two Stephen King books. The Stand and Salem's Lot in French. It was probably one of the best things I ever did to progress in French. The novels are long (especially The Stand) and the level of writing is not difficult, but it does reinforce a lot of vocabulary. It is the reason I'll probably never forget poubelle (Trashcan Man). The other thing that helped was using the same author, because one person tends to express themselves the same way and repeat the same vocabulary. I'm hopefully that Mr. Camilleri will also express himself similarly for each book and reinforce the vocabulary I'm learning.

Since I'm planning "Extensive" reading, I'm not going to stress too much if I don't know a word as long as I get the point. I also have a gargantuan 3 novel set about Alexander the Great and one huge tome about Genghis Khan as well I want to complete.

I have all 8 seasons of Carabinieri, and I'm planning to use those for the "transcription" exercises. Also, I don't have any sub-titles for them, but my Italian conversation exchange partner said she would check my transcriptions against clips of the show.

I did a Listening Reading exercise a year or so ago where I watched a couple of episodes of Italian TV each night, or read an Italian book while listening to the English audio book. But that didn't get me as far as I wanted. I'm hoping drowning my brain in Italian will force it to swim or drown.
7 x
Anyone who thinks assembly language programming is difficult, obviously hasn't used Rust.

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Russian, 3/3 (DLPT, 2021) 2+ (OPI, 2021)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT, 2019)
BCS, 3L/2+R/2S (DLPT in, oh God, 1999!)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 am

This is so awesome! I have to tell you, in 2019 when the USA-Canada Esperanto Congress was in Boston and I went, I had issues after two days of only Esperanto listening/reading/speaking, of coming up with ANY Russian at all!

One of the attendees from Canada had a Russian name so I asked her about it, sure enough she was from Ukraine. I mentioned, in Esperanto, that I spoke/speak Russian, then I tried to say something simple in Russian. N.b, that at the time I was (still am) a 2+ in Russian speaking, so not bad. I COULD NOT COME UP WITH ANY RUSSIAN AT ALL. What the heck? I'd been working on/studying/speaking Russian at that time for 33 years and Esperanto for only about 10. WTF?

Well, it was the immersion, of course.

So I am very excited for you and your 4-day Italian immersion and look forward to reading about your results! Buon suarte or whatever "good luck" is in Italian. (I can't remember.)
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 am

IronMike wrote:So I am very excited for you and your 4-day Italian immersion and look forward to reading about your results! Buon suarte or whatever "good luck" is in Italian. (I can't remember.)

It is an odd one, I'm not surprised you don't remember: in bocca al lupo

The expression in bocca al lupo seems to find its origin in the hunting world, where hunters were used to wish each other, for luck, to not end up in the wolf’s mouth, namely being devoured.
5 x

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Well my experiment was a washout. The time alone didn't materialize, although I did manage to spend a significant amount of time with Italian, it wasn't a total immersion thing like I had hoped. Back to the drawing board.
3 x

The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

Return to “Language logs”