Koolawant's Study Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
koolawant
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Koolawant's Study Log

Postby koolawant » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:45 pm

I was having some trouble logging in but I seemed to have fixed it. I'm starting a new log because I enjoy chaos.

So in the time I've been gone I'm still doing lots of studying and still kept up with reading. Currently I'm on a push and doing a read-a-thon until december so I won't update my signature until then. If my back of the napkin math is right, I've read about 1000 more pages since I've last been on here. I know Japanese is much denser than English and I have to taper my expectations on reading speed, but I would love to see it improve. I currently read at about 24 pages/hour. Or 2-3 minutes per page.

I also sat the N1 in July. That was a mistake. I had a nasty flu 2 weeks before the test and was still physically and mentally beat up by the time of the test. I almost didn't go but figured since I paid for it might as well. Needless to say I was in no shape to take the test and I don't need to see the results to know I failed.

What I'm currently working on;

-Read everyday
-Watch a bit of TV everyday
-Work tirelessly through the 4 grammar books I have until it becomes second nature

I have future plans for writing (my other weakest area) and listening (my strongest as proven by exam) but I can't add that to my plate right now since I enjoy sleeping and have hobbies.

And before anyone asks, there's no particular reason why I chose 50,000. I have completely given up Anki. I just can't do it! So I'm just going to brute force my way and SRS the ol fashion way. Is it quick? No. Not at all. Is it enjoyable? Very much so :lol:
6 x
: 6343 / 50000 50,000 pages read / Japanese

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's Study Log

Postby koolawant » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Hm. So I switched to some slightly easier books that I know most of the words for and the words I don’t know don’t impede comprehension. If I’m curious enough I’ll look it up but I’m just happily reading along. Oh man the difference that it makes! I went from reading 24 pages an hour to averaging about 40 pages per hour. Im also going back and re-reading all the books in my collecting before buying new ones (I have a serious addiction to buying new books) and I’m so pleased to realize the improvements I made in 3 years. Night and day. I’ll be happy when I can get some new books though!

A little less than 4 months left in my hour a day reading challenge and it’s getting easier. Approaching 1000 pages read since starting July 1st.

*note: I mentioned it before but I won’t upload numbers into my signature until the challenge is over. I think seeing a high bump will be so unbelievably satisfying
5 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Koolawant's Study Log

Postby koolawant » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:43 pm

Popping in for an update. Fell short of my goal but managed 1331 pages read! I've added them to the counter. The first 10k pages are in view now! I wonder when I'll pass that mark. Happy holidays everyone!
8 x

Return to “Language logs”