Hank's Adventure in Spanish (Now with 100% more Welsh!)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Hank's Adventure in Spanish

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Hank wrote:My Welsh studies seem to be going well. It's difficult at this point, but I seem to be retaining the lessons better.

I never really finished (or rather, continued with) the SSiW course(s), but I know what you mean. Sometimes their sentences have just the right structure/vocabulary, and sometimes totally the opposite. One of my plans for this year is to review the basic course (I studied the lessons a year ago), and then maybe continue with the rest.

Nice to have another learner of a Celtic language on the forum!
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Español

Voy a escribir esta parte de me registro en español. Necesito practicar y parece una buena idea ¿no? Solo voy a utilizar Google Translate por palabras desconocidas. ¿Será perfecto? No. Lo que me importa es si se puede entender mis escritos. Si no, comente por favor.

Hace dos días, participé en la prueba de fuerte por el departamiento de bomberos. La prueba era afuera, y la temperatura era más de 90 grados y mucha humdedad. Parece una idea horrible tener una prueba de fuerte cuando la temperatura es tan alto. Tenemos que completar la prueba en menos de 6 minutos. Lo completé en tiempo suficiente, pero casi desmayé. No pude respirar, ni mover. Creí que mis amigos iban a contratar la ambulancia. ¡Todavía duelen todos mis musculos!

Terminé Los juegos del hambre. Es un bueno libro. No tan bueno que Apocalipsis Z, pero me gusta mucho. Empecé el segundo libro en la serie llamada En llamas. ¡Realmente odio a President Snow! Todavía estoy viendo El hotel de los secretos. He viendo 30 capítulos.

Cymraeg

Bore da. I'm not going to write this section in Welsh for obvious reasons. :lol: Since I have the new language excitement going I may be updating my log more often for a while.

My Welsh studies are going well. I have been trying to go through the Duolingo course quicker than I did with Spanish. Mostly trying to get to the grammar parts and worrying less about the vocabulary parts. The vocabulary will come in due course, and just like the Spanish course, some of the vocabulary doesn't seem particulary useful. I guess it's kind of interesting to be able to say penguin in Spanish and underskirt in Welsh but I just don't see those words coming up all that often. I don't remember having to review the lessons so often. It seems like it comes up awfully quick.

I was skeptical about Say Something in Welsh, but so far I'm amazed. After only three weeks of study, if I think really hard, I can put together some basic sentences. Ond alla' i ddim cofio sut i dweud beth dw i'n moyn dweud. (But I can't remember how to say what I want to say. :lol:) I'm still "cheating" though. Before each lesson I'm writing down the vocabulary and using the pause button when I need to, which is often. It takes me around an hour to go through a "30 minute" lesson and my brain is usually jelly by the end, but the course is working very well. I wish they would mix it up a little and instead of always translating from English to Welsh that they would occasionally have you translate from Welsh to English. I think this would help with listening comprehension and overall comprehension. My concern with this course is learning grammar and being able to read. We'll see.

I bought a short Welsh grammar book and a novel for Welsh learners. Every now and then I can pick out a word or two on BBC Cymru. This all seems to be going much better than when I started Spanish, but then again I have experience learning another language now.

Google Translate and the Translate button on Facebook don't seem to like Welsh very much.
3 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Hank wrote:
I was skeptical about Say Something in Welsh, but so far I'm amazed. After only three weeks of study, if I think really hard, I can put together some basic sentences. Ond alla' i ddim cofio sut i dweud beth dw i'n moyn dweud. (But I can't remember how to say what I want to say. :lol:) I'm still "cheating" though. Before each lesson I'm writing down the vocabulary and using the pause button when I need to, which is often. It takes me around an hour to go through a "30 minute" lesson and my brain is usually jelly by the end, but the course is working very well. I wish they would mix it up a little and instead of always translating from English to Welsh that they would occasionally have you translate from Welsh to English.

I was pretty amazed with SSiW when I tried it also.

I gave up around lesson 14 (whenever they introduce "the old man"). For me, SSiW was the only Welsh course I was using, and the only vocabulary I had was what SSiW taught me. And, in fact, I was only learning Welsh to try out SSiW. So I very much felt like a monkey. Yes, I could rattle some things off in Welsh, but I was so constrained ... like memorizing a tourist phrase book. I just decided ... no matter how cool SSiW was, I just had no interest in Welsh generally and had to let it go.

But if someone really was interested in Welsh, and had some way to add vocabulary outside of SSiW ... wow.
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Re: Hank's Adventure in Spanish (Now with 100% more Welsh!)

Postby M23 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 am

Congrats on finishing Los Juegos del Hambre. That was the first series of books I read when I wanted to try some young adult literature. It was really accessible. Enjoy reading the rest of the series. :)
1 x

Hank
Green Belt

Postby Hank » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Español

¡Mi esposa y yo aplicamos para nuestros pasaportes! Ahora los viajes a México y a Gales parecen muy, muy real. También muy cerca. Aplicar para los pasaportes es muy caro.

La semana pasada no vi mucho de El hotel de los secretos. Estoy un poco aburrido de la programa. Normalmente no me gusta la televisión. No veo mucho. La pausa fue bueno. Voy a empezar a verlo otra vez esta semana.

Leí mucho de En llamas, el segundo libro de la serie Los juegos del hambre. Me gusta. Casi he terminado el libro. Tengo el tercero libro llamado Sinsajo. Sinsajo significa Mockingjay en ingles. No estoy familiarizado con Mockingjay. ¿Es un pájaro real, o fue inventado para los libros? Si fue inventado parece interesante porque la palabra Sinsajo es en Google Translate.

Cymraeg

Helo!

I had forgotten about my impatience while learning Spanish. I feel like I'm making tremendous progress with Welsh, but I want it to be at the same level as my Spanish. I have been at this a month and I'm not fluent yet? C'mon! :lol: At least I'm not frustrated. The first few months of my Spanish language journey were terribly frustrating. The only thing that carried me through those dark times was my strong desire to learn another language.

I'm starting to figure out Welsh grammar in a very basic way. Suddenly it doesn't seem quite as random as it did at the very start. I know I have a long way to go with grammar, but I'm starting to recognize the conjugations. At this point I think Welsh grammar is going to be easier than Spanish grammar. I still don't have much vocabulary, but I know that will work itself out. Mutations are going to kill me (especially with output), but from what I can tell that's normal for a Welsh learner.

My wife was on vacation all week, so my routine was messed up. I think I only did one lesson on SSiW. I'll get back to that more regularly next week. I kept up with Duolingo, still concentrating on grammar and making study sheets. I struggled through a few pages of my Welsh learners novel and some news stories on BBC Cymru Fyw.

Here's my current learning plan based on my experience with Spanish:
1) Get to the point where I can read decently and understand Welsh subtitles for Welsh media.
2) Watch/listen to Welsh media with Welsh subtitles or transcripts until I start getting a feel for the spoken language.
3) Watch/listen to Welsh media without subtitles.
4) Hopefully, once I can follow along with native Welsh media I'll be able to do some decent output. With Spanish, when I got to the point where I could fairly well understand the spoken language I could suddenly communicate decently. At least it seemed sudden.

I have no time frame for this. Getting to my current level in Spanish took a little less than two years. I'm hoping that since I have experience learning a language that I can shave a few months off of that. I'm not trying to brag, but two years seems lightning fast though.

I have already found a couple of Welsh language singers that I like. Here's Rhys Meirion and Bryn Fôn with Dwed Wrth Mam (Tell Mom). It's a beautiful song. I can't wait until I can understand more than the occasional word. Apparently this is a somewhat traditional Welsh song.

Nos da.
5 x
Future travel plans:

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 pm

What a beautiful sounding song. Thanks for posting this.

I enjoy following your journey.
1 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm

I thought about learning Welsh several years ago and found a lot of free learner resources on BBC Wales Learn Welsh site. May be worth having a look. Of course, if you do learn Welsh, you can take advantage of your Spanish too by going to Argentine Patagonia where a remnant community of Welsh settlers, who no longer speak the language on a daily basis, live.
3 x

Hank
Green Belt

Postby Hank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm

BOLIO wrote:What a beautiful sounding song. Thanks for posting this.

I enjoy following your journey.

Thanks for reading!

iguanamon wrote:I thought about learning Welsh several years ago and found a lot of free learner resources on BBC Wales Learn Welsh site. May be worth having a look. Of course, if you do learn Welsh, you can take advantage of your Spanish too by going to Argentine Patagonia where a remnant community of Welsh settlers, who no longer speak the language on a daily basis, live.

I'll take a look at the BBC site. I use a site called BBC Cymru Fyw that has an option where you can hover over some of the words to get the definitions in English. Pretty cool.

I have already made some half-hearted searches about traveling to Y Wladfa, the Welsh colony in Argentina. That place has a really interesting history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa I have an internet friend that lives in Buenos Aires and she has invited me to visit her. Maybe some day.
1 x
Future travel plans:

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:34 am

Hank wrote:Español
La semana pasada no vi mucho de El hotel de los secretos. Estoy un poco aburrido de la programa. Normalmente no me gusta la televisión. No veo mucho. La pausa fue bueno. Voy a empezar a verlo otra vez esta semana.

Leí mucho de En llamas, el segundo libro de la serie Los juegos del hambre. Me gusta. Casi he terminado el libro. Tengo el tercero libro llamado Sinsajo. Sinsajo significa Mockingjay en ingles. No estoy familiarizado con Mockingjay. ¿Es un pájaro real, o fue inventado para los libros? Si fue inventado parece interesante porque la palabra Sinsajo es en Google Translate.

Primero, "Estoy un poco aburrido de la programa" suena extraño. Yo diría que el programa me ha aburrido últimamente. Segundo, no olvides que estás hablando de la tele... por lo tanto no es "No veo mucho" sino "no la veo mucho," y no es "Voy a empezar a verlo" sino "voy a empezar a verla" o "la voy a empezar a ver." Además si yo fuera en tu lugar yo diría "Lo (el programa) voy a empezar de nuevo esta semana." A mi me suena mejor. Espero que eso te haya ayudado. :)

Si, el sinsajo es un pájaro de verdad. No tiene las mismas características igual que los pájaros en el libro, pero si... el pájaro existe.
2 x

Hank
Green Belt

Postby Hank » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:59 pm

M23 wrote:
Hank wrote:Español

Primero, "Estoy un poco aburrido de la programa" suena extraño. Yo diría que el programa me ha aburrido últimamente. Segundo, no olvides que estás hablando de la tele... por lo tanto no es "No veo mucho" sino "no la veo mucho," y no es "Voy a empezar a verlo" sino "voy a empezar a verla" o "la voy a empezar a ver." Además si yo fuera en tu lugar yo diría "Lo (el programa) voy a empezar de nuevo esta semana." A mi me suena mejor. Espero que eso te haya ayudado. :)

Si, el sinsajo es un pájaro de verdad. No tiene las mismas características igual que los pájaros en el libro, pero si... el pájaro existe.

Gracias por la ayuda.
0 x
Future travel plans:

Return to “Language logs”