dampingwire's JP & DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Re: dampingwire's JP & DE

Postby dampingwire » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Yuurei wrote:When importing the cards, you have to check the option “Allow HTML in fields” under import options, otherwise Anki will interpret those image references as text. :ugeek:

Doh!

Spot on! Thanks.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 pm

I've just looked back over my spreadsheet and summary for the last few weeks and it looks like I've started to miss my targets for both German and Japanese.

There have been various family events, things to do around the house and the occasional un-seasonal storm. However, none of those are a good excuse for slacking at the beginning of this week!

Rather than trying to catch up on what I've missed out on, I'm going to just write it off and start again from tomorrow.

On a more positive note, my tutorial last night went well. My notes for XあってのY and my understanding of ~ようにも~ない were both wrong. On XあってのY I'd been misled by the English part of the Udemy notes into believing that it means "X only exists because of Y", whereas it's exactly the opposite. The example sentences made that clear. The Japanese notes in the Udemy lesson got it right, just the English translation was reversed. みんなの日本語中級 led me down a blind alley with ~ようにも~ない by saying (in English) that it means "couldn't even if I wanted to", which implies "I do NOT want to, but even if I did, I couldn't (for some reason)". Again the Japanese makes it clear that it means "I DO want to, but I cannot for some reason". Luckily there's an example which exposed my misunderstanding. Naturally 新完全マスター N1 文法 avoids the mistake in the English explanation by virtue of not supplying one :-)

So lesson learned: when reading something produced by a Japanese publisher, give more weight to the Japanese explanation than the English one!

Oh, and "stop slacking" !
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 pm

I've been a bit busy lately (土曜日、お祖父さんになりました) so I'm not keeping up with where I'd like to be.

I'm managing about half as much German as I'd like. So far as Japanese goes, I'm keeping up the drama watching and working through 新完全マスター N1 文法. I am falling behind with 新完全マスター N2 読解 though.

I'm still watching 地味にスゴイ! 校閲ガール , just a few episodes left.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 pm

When I first thought about ordering Begegnungen I poked around on the 'net to see if I could find a sample. I did find a sample and it looked good so I went ahead and ordered it.

Now I want to prepare some Anki cards as efficiently as possible, so I looked at the sample again. It turns out to be a sample from the very first page to the very last one! That in itself is not much use to me (I have the book in my preferred format - paper!) but it turns out the PDF isn't a scan: it's a proper PDF that presumably must have been generated in-house by the publisher.

So one pdftotext and a quick script later and (thanks to this post and I now have everything in that book that looks like a word (i.e. no punctuation, no numbers etc.) and in the order that they appear in the book along with an initial translation. They'll need to be cleaned up as I go along, but at least I'm guaranteed no (non-original!) spelling errors on the German side of things.

Now I just need to persuade myself to invest the hours saved into German and not let Japanese sneak up and grab them :-)
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Japanese is just bubbling along at the moment. I am managing one or more NHK News articles every day but the listening and other reading has slowed down over the holidays. I have started to work through 新完全マスター N1 文法 part I chapter A, but at a fairly slow pace. I still need to sit down and use the results of the exercises for chapters 1-20 to decide which grammar points I need to go back and review more thoroughly.

When I popped into the library a few weeks ago I found the TY Complete German book (without the audio CD). I've started to work through that (just as a change to Begegnungen). So far I've worked through the first 5 units. TY publish the vocabulary (or at least most of it) as a PDF so I've processed that and loaded it up into Anki. I've now started doing regular reviews, which I hope will help me get through the TY book at a faster pace. After that I'll get back to Begegnungen and try to activate the new vocabulary as it crops up.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Fri May 11, 2018 10:04 pm

For German I'm still working my way through TY: I'm hoping to finish before I can no longer renew it and it has to go back to the library.

For Japanese I'm putting a fair bit of effort into Anki substudy decks. It takes a week or so of effort (at 30m ~ 60m per day) to get the first pass of a deck done (each deck being one episode at the moment). I think it's helping. Or maybe I'm just memorising scenes!

Since I plan to sit N2 in December, I've decided to put N1 grammar to one side and concentrate on revising N2 grammar for the moment.

The thing that has fallen to the wayside for the moment is N2 読解 - hopefully NHK News will keep the reading alive until I can find a few more cycles to spare.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Wow. Quite a while without an update!

For German I'm working through a graded reader ("Lea? Nein danke!") with my son. Hopefully we'll get to the end before it has to go back to the library. It's hardly a riveting read, but the point is mostly to show him that he can read (some) German, despite his protestations to the contrary. A side effect is to show me that he's further along the learning curve than I am!

I also found Hugo's "German in three months" in a bookcase at home, so I'll probably leaf through that too ...
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:46 pm

dampingwire wrote:For German I'm working through a graded reader ("Lea? Nein danke!") with my son. Hopefully we'll get to the end before it has to go back to the library.

Well it went back to the library before it was finished. In its place I now have a a new graded reader from the library: Man Kann Ruhig Darüber Sprechen. I also picked up Hammer's German Grammar and Usage. It has much more than I need right now, but it looks like it can usefully answer a few bits and pieces I'd like to clear up.

As for Japanese, I've signed up for the December N2 in London, so I've started to prepare for that.

The grammar/vocab section has always been OK so far, so I've decided to focus the bulk of my time elsewhere. I'm keeping the sentences and vocab decks going but I'm no longer activating new sentences and I'm not adding much new vocabulary.

To help with 聴解 I've started to use subs2srs. Actually I started using subs2srs some time ago, feeding it a few episodes from ミス・パイロット and 地味にスゴイ! 校閲ガール. I've since let those decks lie fallow and instead I've added most of JPOD101's Advanced Audio Blog Season 2. I've since added an N2 聴解 test. I'm going to see if I can do something with 新完全マスター N2 聴解. I'll be sitting a few more practice 聴解 exams, so (time permitting) I'll add more to my subs2srs decks.

読解 is probably my most poorly performing part of the test. So I'm now pushing hard in that area. I have a bunch of old-style test past papers. The format is not quite right but there are plenty of reading passages, so that covers quite a bit of the more modern exam style. I also have the 日本語総まとめ N2 読解 book. It's nowhere near as comprehensive 新完全マスター N2 読解 but it is much quicker to work through. Over the last few weeks I've pretty much done that, so now I need to find some time to grade it and analyse it properly. I've also found that 日本語の森 do a decent set of all-Japanese N2 読解 youtube videos. I can only find the first 7 or so but that's still nearly 20 short reading passages, which is a useful addition to my stack of materials. I'll also work through the remainder or 新完全マスター N2 読解 (which is about 30 pages or so).

If I still don't pass this time around, I'll only have N1 practice material left to train with :-)
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Oops. nearly forgot.

My son independently found 進撃の巨人, so I just had to work my way through season 2 and get up to date with season 3 :-)
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Postby dampingwire » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:01 pm

I seem to have neglected this log for some time.

I sat the JLPT N2 last Sunday. It was tough, as I had expected, although this time around I did finish the written section with about 5 minutes to spare. As usual, I don't know whether I am anywhere near passing. However, one result I am sure of is that I'm better at reading than I was 3 months ago, so working for the JLPT has certainly had at least one positive effect.

As well as plenty of reading and translating for practice, I've also been using subs2srs to produce flashcards for listening practice. I had started to do with with drama. However, more recently I've been using it with 聴解 (listening) tests and with the 新完全マスター listening CDs. I need to make more of these (I have plenty of source material: 日本語総まとめ, various tests and also - if they're still there! - some youtube examples).

I've agreed with my tutor that we'll work through the remaining two chapters of みんなの日本語中級 and then start on the 新完全マスター N1 読解. Even if I end up sitting N2 again, I think that having to work on N1 is likely to drag my level up a bit (assuming I'm not just completely overwhelmed, I guess).

For the last month I'd dropped German during the commute and switched to Japanese both ways. So now for the rest of December it's German both ways. I have started to work through the text book I have with my son: this is mostly for his benefit (he has a GCSE to sit in 18 months) but it has been helping me too. I'll be doing more of that on my own too now that I am not 100% focussed on a test.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”