a very lazy korean reading log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tlbodrick
Languages: English (N), Korean (Beginner)

a very lazy korean reading log

Postby tlbodrick » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:39 pm

Hey, all. I've been studying Korean since around 2018, but it's always been in a very lackadaisical, undisciplined, going months at a time without opening a book sort of way and I haven't learned half as much as I thought I would by now. Unfortunately, I don't think even a log is going to change my studying habits. Discipline isn't even in my English vocabulary. But, I plan to use this space to document my reading progress - and by extension, my vocabulary and grammar. I'm armed only with a RidiBooks account and a Netflix subscription and I just plan to do what I enjoy for now. The format is gonna look something like this:

- Title/Source
- Chapter #
- Unknown vocab #
- Unknown grammar #
- Additional thoughts

Sometimes I'll be reading SRT's of K-dramas, sometimes I'll be cracking open a webnovel, sometimes I'll just be skimming a webtoon. I'll probably drop everything at least once because I tend to lose interest rather quickly, but I'm hoping this log will give me some kind of motivation. I'm thinking I'll update at the end of every chapter with my stats, but I'm not a consistent reader even in English so some updates might be within a few days, others might take a few months. Who knows? I'm just gonna have fun and enjoy what I'm reading.

The end goal is to be able to turn some pages without having to look up a word. For some context on my current level, I just read the first paragraph of a college-aged, romance web novel called Semantic Error. The first paragraph is about 3-sentences long and, of those sentences, I had to look up 13 words. Discouraging, but you know, I'm not starting absolutely from nowhere.

As of now, I'm going to continue on with Semantic Error. The good thing about this novel is that it's already very popular and has a fan translation which I can reference if anything gets too hard for my brain to parse. Also, I'll be (trying to) use Anki to cement the words I come across, so I'm not relying entirely on my memory, which would end horribly.

I'll come update once I'm finished with the first chapter.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: a very lazy korean reading log

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 am

Fighting!
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”