Rey's New Horizons log (mainly EN, DE, FR)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rey
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C1), Catalan/Valencian (C1), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Rey's New Horizons log (mainly EN, DE, FR)

Postby Rey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Hi, everybody!

At this moment, after all these years in 'intellectual fallow', my main objective is recovering my past abilities in languagues as well as in other aspects of my life.

As I wrote in my introduction here

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9025&start=410#p210027

Rey wrote:I am a native speaker of Spanish who had to learn Catalan/Valencian from scratch and almost by myself in order to find a job in the Eastern Mediterranean Coast of Spain. At the end, I earnt an official C1 certification in Catalan/Valencian which helped me most to obtain my objective.

At the same time, it was supposed that I was learning English within the official learning scheme in Spain. The result is - IMHO - very mediocre.
But I want to improve.

In the course of many years, I have learnt a little of French (almost an A1) and German (I obtained an A1 certification some years ago), but I dropped out and now I have forgotten almost everything about them.

I suppose this recovering will take some months for me.

Week 1 (from June, 13th to 19th, 2022)
I have spent very little time in studying, only French this time (FR) - an hour and a half or so in the whole week.

I have been across "Aprende Francés desde Cero - Curso de Francés para principiantes" by Vaughan, a popular self-study beginner guide in Spanish to learn French (FR). I only have studied the first unit. (It has 30 units and it is supposed to be studied by complete beginners in a whole year or so). I think it is somewhat similar to Assimil, but shorter and cheaper.

Also, I have obtained the CLE Progressive Grammar for French (FR), A1 ('the orange book') that Lawyer&Mom mentioned in this thread. I think I will be very helpful in the next weeks. Thank you for the tip! https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18193&start=10#p210396

Lawyer&Mom wrote:I think Assimil and the CLE Progressive Grammar would complement each other nicely. Different approaches, both very well done. The CLE book is very good at giving small digestible bits of grammar, it doesn’t hit you with a wall of information that makes you want to give up. (I tried those books too!) I personally only used Assimil to teach myself listening. I preferred to actively study grammar separately.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18193&start=10#p210411

BeaP wrote:A lot of people have had success with both books, they're a safe choice. Just make sure you buy the orange grammar, there's a new one called A1.1 (very light brown, butter colour) and I think it's not worth the money. The original A1 (the orange one) is good for beginners, it starts with the basics. Youtube is full of free videos about informal spoken French and useful expressions. These are also helpful because textbook French is a bit different. I've found pronunciation especially tricky, but these videos explain things in detail. I hope you'll enjoy learning French and come back to write about your experience.

I'll try YouTube for spoken French. Thanks for the piece of advice, BeaP!

See you!
9 x

Rey
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C1), Catalan/Valencian (C1), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Re: Rey's New Horizons log (mainly EN, DE, FR)

Postby Rey » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:49 pm

Hi!

Week 2 (from June, 20th to 26th, 2022)

Sorry, no advance.

See you next week, if possible

:)
2 x

Rey
White Belt

Postby Rey » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:32 pm

Hello, there!

Week 3 (from June 27, to July 3, 2022)

No apparent advance, but being organising [somewhat obsolete] languague learning material available in printed paper and [somewhat obsolete] technology for hearing the parallel audios, and self-registering methods for planning the study.

Sorry, I am an old woman who studied a little about languages a in a very old-school fashioned way - perhaps too old-fashioned way - a lot of years ago and not in a vey efficient way. Of course, I am not a complete luddite, but I do not feel comfortable with new technologies at all. Some name it technological stress. You can name it outdated or as you please.

See you next week, if possible
3 x

Rey
White Belt

Postby Rey » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:31 pm

Sorry, I'm having a halt in this log.

I don't know when I am coming back.
3 x

Rey
White Belt

Postby Rey » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:30 pm

2023 New Year's Resolutions

Hi again!

It's have been a lot of time since my last entry at this log. A lot of things have taken me away from regular study in real life in the last half of year or so. I think I'll have more free time now and in the months to come.

The New Year's Resolution for the present year in languges is as simple or as complex as having a regular time of study for them.

First of all, I want to recover my long time ago lost abilities for communication in English. I have some old material I studied decades ago, so I think it will be good for me to re-study it. At least for the very first steps.

As a complement, I want to recover abilities that never crystalized very well on me in German and French.

And, if everything goes by yes, who knows? Perhaps beginning a new language...
6 x

Rey
White Belt

Postby Rey » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:13 pm

2024 New Year's Resolutions

Keeping a personal register of my studies in languages. On sheets of paper.

Being more organized.

Spending more time studying languages.

Studying... Studying more... Studying more and more...
3 x

Rey
White Belt

Postby Rey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:44 pm

It's torrijas time!

Here you have the recipe!

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/torrijas/

I'll be in the kitchen!
4 x

Return to “Language logs”