PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:50 am

tastyonions wrote:What, no Austronesian languages? Add Maori and Hawaiian at least!

I'm assuming you're referring to the Leaf, Zwaardvis and Lycaon versions of these languages and not the human versions of these languages? If you were referring to the human versions, I'd at the very least expect a public apology.

rdearman wrote:Everyday you burn through 86,400 seconds.

memento mori

Coming back to this, I feel like you're on my back. It's like you're accusing me of something. I mean how did you know how many seconds I'm burning through? Is my phone tapped? I don't like this. I'm going to the police. I mean I've got time and I'm not doing much most days, so if I don't study, sorry, go to the police today, I'll do it next week. Just so busy. Off my back already!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:56 pm

So you are happy to have animal and vegetable languages but not minerals? You are obviously a disgusting mineralist. You should at least try to speak quartz or iron. :evil:
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:12 pm

rdearman wrote:So you are happy to have animal and vegetable languages but not minerals? You are obviously a disgusting mineralist. You should at least try to speak quartz or iron. :evil:

Quartz and iron are too common and easy. Diamond and Boron are the hardest!
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:30 pm

rdearman wrote:So you are happy to have animal and vegetable languages but not minerals? You are obviously a disgusting mineralist. You should at least try to speak quartz or iron. :evil:

iguanamon wrote:

Quartz and iron are too common and easy. Diamond and Boron are the hardest!

I speak to you from prison. A mineralist who got around under the radar for half a lifetime not even aware of his own violently ignorant behaviour.

Worse still, after breaking into prison to commit myself, as I couldn't afford to wait for a conviction and be free one more second, I stumbled onto the shocking realisation while attempting a conversation with some iron -and so in-grained is my mineralist attitude that I couldn't.. yet... hear any replies, but what kind of mineral, really, would be willing to talk to such an abusive criminal?- the shocking realisation that I'm an earthist!

My whole life I've NOT ONCE spoken to an extraterrestrial!! Not a single syllablle!!!! Just as bad, I've never spoken to a ghost, nor a being from another dimension!

The realisation has driven me to discover the way to stop all ageing and live eternally, not as a joyous, liberating, monumentous discovery, but to extend my punishment, and my studies. I will now commit to learning every language to have ever exhisted on any plain of existence, in any area of the universe at any time (past, present or future), and I shall never take pride in it, receive any accolades for it or boast about it. Such is my punishment for living like a complete bastard. I shall reside in prison but leave when necessary to aid in the discovery of uncovering more languages that I've completely ignored.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 pm

If you could speak concrete or iron, they couldn't keep you in prison. You've nobody to blame but yourself. :lol:
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:35 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:My whole life I've NOT ONCE spoken to an extraterrestrial!! Not a single syllablle!!!! Just as bad, I've never spoken to a ghost, nor a being from another dimension!

Are you sure about that? How do you know?
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:34 pm

tractor wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:My whole life I've NOT ONCE spoken to an extraterrestrial!! Not a single syllablle!!!! Just as bad, I've never spoken to a ghost, nor a being from another dimension!

Ssshhhhh! He isn't supposed to know about us!
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:01 am

tractor wrote:

I actually had a similar thought before posting my quoted message above, and so I took it upon myself to ask all the ghosts and aliens I know or have ever come in contact with whether I'd ever spoken to them before. The answer was 'no' from every one of them. Thus we can be certain that I'm telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the ...... sorry, gotta go, one of my alien friends is calling me on the phone, that's the 20th time this month... wonder what we'll talk about this time? :)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:50 pm

A small language update:

French
A bit of reading here, a bit of reading there. That is, to the kids and reading some news articles, health and kayaking topics. A little news watching, a few podcasts (travel, kayaking).

Dutch
Reading to the kids. Of late the kids surprised me wanting Dutch days more than French for the first time because they're highly excited to listen to one particular book in Dutch. Have watched a little of a Belgian series which I find very difficult to follow with regards to their accents. A bit of audio on commutes. Nothing major.

Spanish
A bit of reading here and there to the kids.

Norwegian
The Mystery of Nils - intermittent reading to the kids, rare study myself with the course book. Still on lesson 13, I think, from memory. Lots of other basic audio courses while kayaking and sometimes while doing other things.

Japanese
A little learning with the kids with Le japonais en douceur. Not very serious about it myself, just following the kids interest.
9 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:00 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Dutch
Reading to the kids. Of late the kids surprised me wanting Dutch days more than French for the first time because they're highly excited to listen to one particular book in Dutch. Have watched a little of a Belgian series which I find very difficult to follow with regards to their accents. A bit of audio on commutes. Nothing major.

The "standard" Belgian (typical VRT) accent is my favorite, with its rolled Rs and gentler fricatives. I was never particularly drawn to most Netherlands accents I had heard but watching some Belgian shows was what made me want to learn the language, and that's the accent I try to imitate.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”