PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
frenchfish55
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian(N),English(C1),French(A2)-Active learning
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18440

Re: PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Postby frenchfish55 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:38 pm

Le Baron wrote:To what? I don't remember what it was.

Beautiful girl
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:06 am

frenchfish55 wrote:What has happened with your Spanish?

I'm not sure, I've been looking for it everywhere and still haven't found it. In the end I've (okay I forced the kids to do it all) resorted to posting up 'Missing - PM's Spanish' posters all over town (okay mainly on random eucalypt trees in the Australian bush) and still no word. Help, I need somebody...!

frenchfish55 wrote:Will your kids blame you that you stoped those activities?

You mean the return to owner lost Spanish poster activities? Most definitely. But I override the so-called pain by demanding why they aren't speaking to me in Russian. I haven't taught them a word of Russian and the youngest is two years old, but hey, they all should know better by now. I've got stolen goods and crack to sell, they ought to have been speaking 20 languages fluently without batting an eyelid from 3.78 months of age. Yeah I know, pretty normal stuff, right?

frenchfish55 wrote:Your eldest daughter still going to france alliance class or it was too easy and you decided cancel it?

I don't have any daughters. Nor do I have any suns or sons. If I had an eldest daughter, I'd say this: Yes, she's still attending the AF, but she teaches the teachers now, you know, corrects their less than perfect French. That's what happens when her father deals drugs ahem, sorry, is a linguistic prodogy at the age of 122. Know what I'm sayin'?

Le Baron wrote:
Will your kids blame you that you stoped those activities?
Your eldest daughter still going to france alliance class or it was too easy and you decided cancel it?

Two questions:

1. Is this all a wind-up?
2. Did you bring us back any souvenirs from Antarctica?

(Pretend moderator hat on).... Ahem, need I remind our good company here that we are all respectful, well-to-do participating members of modern advanced society? I think we all (okay, mainly me) know exactly what this implies, do we not?

@frenchfish55
About those souvenirs... Did I say Antarctica? I was meant to say "l'archipel Crozet des Terres australes et antarctiques françaises". Why don't you head down there now. I'l meet you there. There's a massive amount of food and supplies about to arrive there. Cost of living (you won't be doing much of that) is basically zero.

Here, take a look for yourself. The video was filmed during a recent ice age, so just ignore the apparent cold. There are palm trees and mangoes everwhere down there now. It's paradise! Don't write to me, I'm on my way, trust me!

frenchfish55 wrote:
Le Baron wrote:To what? I don't remember what it was.

Beautiful girl

Good idea! A good song to start your mixed tape road trip extremely wild ocean trip with!
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:35 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:

I'm not sure, I've been looking for it everywhere and still haven't found it. In the end I've (okay I forced the kids to do it all) resorted to posting up 'Missing - PM's Spanish' posters all over town (okay mainly on random eucalypt trees in the Australian bush) and still no word. Help, I need somebody...!

I LOL'd to this. Thank you PM.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 am

Well 2022 is drawing to a close...

It appears as though I'll win (dare I say it) this installment of the 6WC in the target language section. If I don't, so be it. Well done to all participants! A bit like my last (and first) win last time with Norwegian, I'm wondering 'how' to a certain extent, given my less than furious approach. Put it this way, it won't be a very high score by any means when compared to many previous 6WCs in the past. Thus, it might be a win but it's more of a pat on the back for remaining consistent-enough.

I'm shifting my focus again. For languages 2023 will be about stolen moments and homeschooling. I need to keep pushing forward with Norwegian when I can to get it over the beginner's hump and keep up the reading/all languages use with the kids for their growth as well as mine and at times my maintenance (that will be mainly French - the others are still growing from use with the kids).

I'm returning to a solid focus on sport (kayaking), which I've been regularly back at now for about one month. I'm confident enough now with the processes of learning languages and I feel I now have sufficient experience to work around and work with the kids, family, work, and other committments that I can add a new language (kayaking).

Various sports taught me the value of consistent training, which I later converted to language study. Now I'm going the other way. I've realised just how much it takes to almost pass a C2 level exam (to be re-attempted some day!), which I aim to instill into my training.

In 2023 I'll get out in the kayak as many days of the week as I can around other committments (I recently purchased some good winter gear). Norwegian will be my first language of focus but I must also regularly use French, Dutch and Spanish. All round better health will only benefit these goals. See you soon 2023!
11 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:03 pm

Ah yes, sports and fitness, and activity where people attempt to reduce their rate of death by some miniscule amount, thereby denying themselves the pleasures of life.

:lol: :lol:
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:34 pm

On the other hand, not being in decent condition (especially after e.g. 40) does diminish one's ability to get pleasure out of life. A person usually has to fall into illness to appreciate this. Luckily I've kept it up throughout my life so that my 'rehabilitation' after Covid has been better than some I know.

It's astonishing how much illness or lack of physical well-being can also affect your mental activity.
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:43 pm

Le Baron wrote:On the other hand, not being in decent condition (especially after e.g. 40) does diminish one's ability to get pleasure out of life. A person usually has to fall into illness to appreciate this. Luckily I've kept it up throughout my life so that my 'rehabilitation' after Covid has been better than some I know.

It's astonishing how much illness or lack of physical well-being can also affect your mental activity.

Did you have a humourectamy at a young age?
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:45 pm

rdearman wrote:Did you have a humourectamy at a young age?

I did, but it was so long ago I can't even remember if it was painful. I'm happy that you spell humour with a 'u'.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:28 am

Guess I'd better do a summary...

Norwegian
396 hours, 51 minutes (including 7 hours, 12 minutes reading to the kids)

French
282 hours, 05 minutes (including 91 hours, 9 minutes reading to the kids)

Further breakdown for French:
66 hours TV,
33 hours extensive reading,
42 hours vocab building/intensive reading,
41 hours audio/podcasts,
just under 9 hours course work! <---- take note, it's not the only thing I do ;) :lol:
and some other stuff....

Dutch
94 hours, 59 minutes (including 74 hours, 50 minutes reading to the kids)

Spanish
68 hours, 26 minutes (all of which was reading to the kids)

Kayaking, Norwegian, maintenance of the other languages, kids learning, staying alive... that sums it up.

Throw a dog turd over your neck just next to your other neck, know what I'm sayin'? An' I ain't even me.
15 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:19 am

My wishlist as of today:

Norwegian B2 (currently A1)
Dutch B2 (currently B1)
French C2 (currently B2-C1)
Spanish B2 (current = A1)
German B2 (current = 00)
Russian!!! B2 (current = 000)

and yet, I've very little time... so...
8 x