PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
frenchfish55
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian(N),English(C1),French(A2)-Active learning
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18440

Re: PM's Multilingual Family Adventures in a Monolingual Wasteland

Postby frenchfish55 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:58 am

What do you think about ikenna? He has videos like LEarn Spanish in 7 days or learn any language in 6 month?So it's clickbait and you don't like that content?
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 pm

frenchfish55 wrote:What do you think about ikenna? He has videos like LEarn Spanish in 7 days or learn any language in 6 month?So it's clickbait and you don't like that content?

Sorry, I've no idea who ikenna is, and little desire (time is precious) to find out. No disrespect meant, I'm just telling it how it is.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Today I did something different...

I watched a Norwegian film called Flukten over grensen (La traversée/ The Crossing) with my kids only available with original Norwegian audio + EN subs. I had told them about it and they were interested in watching it.

So, I sat down with them and we watched it as I provided running (casual) French translation (speaking aloud) of the EN subtitles throughout the film. It went rather well, I thought. ;)
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:54 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Yes, I agree that it seems quite common for other language learners to almost attempt to talk others out of sitting exams. I guess I hadn't contemplated this from a reflective perspective, but doing just that - i.e. reflecting on your comments, you're absolutely right. This is quite common. I'll add that I don't necessarily believe that those who take part in this are out to denegrate language exams or those who wish to sit them. Perhaps it comes from a I wouldn't be bothered sitting it, so why should they (a projection of one's own reasoning for not seeing the purpuse in sitting such exams onto the person who wishes to do just that).

I'd say it is a part of the common sentiment in the language learning communities online. Like "I am still traumatized by school, so everything reminding me of it is evil. I hated school exams, so people taking exams must be brain washed into liking them. I hated classes and didn't learn well in them, so people using textbooks must be inferior to me, as I am using only youtube and apps". It is a bit sad, but that's the impression I get over and over, especially on reddit.

On our forum, I think it is more about the independe we treasure a lot. But most people here are learning for fun, while it is not always so in the real life (or rather: it is mostly not so). That' where you are probably very correct about the projection.

And of course, many are genuine and don't see the point. Their reasoning is valid, but you're right Cavesa, that for people like yourself this is highly useful (sitting C2 exams, providing the evidence). For me it's questionable. Were I to emigrate, it's absolutely highly valuable, but I just don't know whether I will. Still, that said, I'd still like to sit these exams in various languages (at least that's how I feel now), as it's a goal to aim for, an official piece of evidence that one has officially reached such a level, and it and it might come in handy some day
for employment purposes.

Yeah, I totally see your point.

But don't fall for the same trap I did once. I had thought "yeah, I might take a DELE one day, I have other priorities now and don't need it right away". Suddenly, I was seriously considering doing my residency in Spain. I would have had to prepare for their exam (very hard, but possibly easier than the French one), I would have had half a year. But I couldn't sign up, because I couldn't get the certificate soon enough. DELE takes place twice a year or so, you need to sign up a month in advance, you wait for up to three months for the paper. DALF is the exactly same thing.

This is the number 1 mistake I see people making, when considering language exams. When you need it, it will be probably too late to get it.

I just read your latest post in your log mentioning having children. It's most definitely possible to continue to progress with language learning, provided you arrange your day in a way that is conducive to this. However, not all people work in positions that allow for much time at work (that's even a bonus for me - but there are always break times, if you get them) or at home even (if you're working long days for example), but I'm a firm believer in where there is a will there's a way. I'll add 'easier said than done' to the mix, because it's not a straight-forward thing.

Thank you for the encouragement. I am just trying to get some things done before moving forward with these plans. My workload and schedule is already horrible and I will be the primary bread winner. With kids, the free time will be mostly spent on family (and I am looking forward to that part a lot!).

As a doctor, I get few breaks and not much of an opportunity to rearrange my time at work. As I totally agree that where there is a will there's a way, I am trying to "learn in advance", so that I can mostly do the fun advanced maintenance stuff later on.

Also, let's not forget the exams for finishing the residency will also take time and energy in a few years, and perhaps other activities (I haven't done my research yet, but there may be several exams or even articles to make or I don't know, in order to finally make me a full value doctor, free to just get employed anywhere I want).

You are a huge inspiration to me. Juggling so much stuff in your everyday life, and succeeding at languages on top of that!

I don't know when I'll sit the French C2. I have no time to prepare for it currently. Norwegian is my main language focus currently and like you, I'm trying to bring a language to a sufficiently high enough level for it to go into a mode that will allow for it's sustainability and survival. Perhaps I'll return to French after I'm confident that Norwegian has reached that stage, which isn't necessarily that high of a level, as once I introduce it as a 'reading language' with my kids, the tiny snow ball has started rolling ever so slowly down the big mountain. Perhaps I'll go onto Spanish or improving my Dutch after Norwegian (and not go back to French just yet). I'm not going to say something and then change my plans two seconds later.

As for the 6WC, I need to get my game face on and claw back the 'losses' - this game isn't over yet! ;)

Hmm, have you considered just taking the DALF exam without any preparation? I believe you'd have a very good chance of passing. And if not, it is not a tragedy, but rather feedback. Either C1 or C2 in your pocket would remove the pressure and give you at least a plan B for your European projects. It could also remove the weight of "am I good enough, when will I do that, will I not lose my French while doing Norwegian,...".

Dutch is surely a good option too. Spanish is a rather uncommon choice for a nurse, as they are fleeing Spain these days for bad work conditions, especially the very precarious job contracts and very low wages.
4 x

frenchfish55
Yellow Belt

Postby frenchfish55 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:21 pm

This guy(not you) tried ikenna with french https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... cf#p151559
and this guy tried glossika and anki for japanese and spanish.Hi did it qite succesfully
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=120
0 x

frenchfish55
Yellow Belt

Postby frenchfish55 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Cavesa wrote:As a doctor, I get few breaks and not much of an opportunity to rearrange my time at work.

Cool. I didn't know you're a doctor.
1.Which speciality do you have?
2 Did you move to another country where salaries for medical workers are higher?
Last edited by frenchfish55 on Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:15 am

frenchfish55 wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
As a doctor, I get few breaks and not much of an opportunity to rearrange my time at work.

Cool. I didn't know you're a doctoc.
1.Which speciality?
2Did you move to another country where salaries f medical workers are higher?

Your quotation marks need some work - you have me quoted as saying what Cavesa actually said.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:54 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
frenchfish55 wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
As a doctor, I get few breaks and not much of an opportunity to rearrange my time at work.

Cool. I didn't know you're a doctoc.
1.Which speciality?
2Did you move to another country where salaries f medical workers are higher?

Your quotation marks need some work - you have me quoted as saying what Cavesa actually said.

Yep, not obvious to use the quote function (I sometimes mess up too, especially when responding to several parts of a long comment)

To reply very shortly (to not overtake place in PM's log), frenchfish55:
1.I am right now working in emergency medicine, but I am still doing my residency, it is a rather complicated process. I am very far from finished.

2.I've moved abroad, yes. Three times actually (I hope to stay this time!). But the salary was like the 5th or 6th reason on the list. There were other and more important things. Even though now that I observe the growing economic crisis, I am very happy to have a good salary. I would struggle too much, had I stayed in the slavery system.

There are several of us, healthcare people, on this forum (PM, Xenops, me, and I think one or two more members). It's good, as we face a bit specific challenges, included in language learning. Both in the means to do it (especially the free time) and the requirements to acctually succeed and use the langauges in our careers (we need certificates, a higher level, etc).
4 x

frenchfish55
Yellow Belt

Postby frenchfish55 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:49 pm

Do you know Norwegian history?Why Sweden and norwegian alliance was broken?
I it C1 text? https://mjp.univ-perp.fr/constit/no1905.html (Norwegian history)
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:16 pm

frenchfish55 wrote:Do you know Norwegian history?Why Sweden and norwegian alliance was broken?
I it C1 text? https://mjp.univ-perp.fr/constit/no1905.html (Norwegian history)

Wow!!! Thank you!! I never knew this! This will change my life from the one I have to the same one - ie it will be exactly the same! Such an Earth-shattering revelation!!!!!

All this time I thought Norway was in a union with the Seychelles, I mean that's why everyone speaks Norwegian there, right? They pretend though. I think they have done such a good job at hiding it, that many have surpressed it and can only speak either Creole, English or French nowadays. I need to go there and re-awaken them!! I'm guessing frenchfish55 that you'll help me?!

Okay, head directly for Antarctica, take summer clothing and no food. Wait for me there. Trust that I will arrive! No more questions please, not even here. Go now!! Your destiny is in your hands!! Never return here or you have failed in your mission!!!
5 x

Return to “Language logs”