CDR's Japanese and Portuguese Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Re: CDR's Japanese and Portuguese Language Log

Postby CDR » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:56 am

Jan 21 2024
Japanese
Hours of Japanese Studied : 37 / 500 Hours Completed

3 weeks in a row of studying! I am a bit sad that I have not studied 1 hour everyday, however, on a weekly basis I have studied more than 7 hours a week, so it is working out fine.

Now, I can compare my progress this far year over year!

2022: Note, I didn't start detailed tracking of my study time until Jan 17

Overall, this year is looking great!

Portuguese
I am writing this two days later and can no longer recall if I did anything :lol:

Jan 22 2024
Japanese
I met up with a friend and we "got work done" together. Meaning we didn't do much studying, we mostly talked :lol:
Hours of Japanese Studied : 39 / 500 Hours Completed
Complete Try N5 : 114 / 146 Pages Completed
Portuguese
I read a bunch of my PT newsletters

Jan 23 2024
Japanese

Eat away at your Anki Japanese Vocab Card Backlog : 1838 / 2365 Backlogged Reviews Re-Integrated
I decided to turn the cards that were in the "Learning" stage back into new cards.

I am thinking about turning all the remain backlogged reviews into News as well, because it seems unlikely that I know them that well at this point.

Alternatively, I am considering going through all of them and if I cannot get it right on the first try, reset just those ones to new.

CDR wrote:my true retention on my vocabulary deck is awful, in the last month it was 55%... This past week retention was 71.4%, so with FSRS...I should be seeing more reviews, not less.

I thought I was seeing a lot more reviews and shorter intervals, but looking backwards, I am still in a low for total cards, so FSRS doesn't seem to be having that big of an effect yet.

Portuguese
BBB!
6 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Postby CDR » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:30 pm

Jan 24 2024

Japanese
Only managed to do Anki again. I kind of predicted on my tracking sheet that this week would not be that great for studying, because I work a lot. However, I haven't managed to hit 1 hour of study (per day) since Monday.

Portuguese
Nothing
5 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Postby CDR » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:53 pm

Jan 25 2024
Japanese

Hours of Japanese Studied : 40 / 500 Hours Completed

Got lost on the internet after work and found Freem!, it hosts freeware Japanese games. I found one that was an "escape room", you play a cat who is trying to go outside. No Kanji. Pretty simple, I didn't read the instructions until after I finished the game, so I didn't know it was an escape room at first. I, admittedly, failed on the first try. This ended up being a good thing, because the second time around I was more convinced I could actually play and so I "tried harder" when it came to reading.

ボクハソトニデタイ

I found this visual novel where you cannot use Yomichan in the main game, but when you open the log, Yomichan works. I didn't actually play this game or read much, just thought the ability to use Yomichan in the log was interesting.

ちいさな春のラプソディ

I found a website where they used Mokuro on a bunch of Manga and generated vocab lists for a huge number of Manga series.

https://japanese.kurifuri.com/series

This all started because I read someone recommending 月の光 as a good visual novel for beginners (one of the easiest ones on JPDB). I saw the novel on vndb, but at first could not find a link for where to get it. I found the publisher's site, and from there I found the freeware game site I posted above, as the publisher seems to post most of their work there.
I eventually found it:
Just like ちいさな春のラプソディ, Yomichan doesn't work in the main game, but works in the log. Both of those VNs were made with a popular VN Engine in Japan, so I checked a few more on NovelGame.jp and all of them worked this way. So, this is a great way to mine from visual novels if you don't want to download them and set up a text hooker, etc. :lol: Yomichan even gets the entire sentence when you add a word:

あなたは大きく息を吐き、ぐーっと背伸びをする

Source

The publisher of 月の光 also publishes novels on Pixiv.

Mentioning Yomichan, I learned today that Foosoft stopped supporting it a while ago, everyone has moved to Yomitan. I also found Jitendex which is a custom format of JMDict that is designed to be used for Yomitan and has an improved layout.

Portuguese

I came across two open textbooks for Portuguese:

I often think doing the Free and Legal Challenge would be fun, but I am keen on trying out EuroComRom after my Japanese and Portuguese are at a better level, so that will spoil the challenge.
6 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Postby CDR » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:53 am

Jan 26 - Feb 01 2024

Japanese
Hours of Japanese Studied : 42 / 500 Hours Completed

Year-over-Year Comparison
Jan 2024: 42h10m05s
Jan 2023: 30h43m02s
Jan 2022: 37h29m04s

Overall, I ended January with a whimper instead of a bang, I have not studied 1h/day since the 22nd, however, even with what I feel is a lackluster performance, this is my best recorded January yet.

Having the best February yet would shatter my goals for this month. In 2022 I studied 71h in Feb. I get one extra day this year because of the leap year, so it should be EASIER! :lol:

CDR wrote:my true retention on my vocabulary deck is awful:
Past Day: N/A
Week: 71.4%
Month: 55%

Feb 1 the stats are:
Past Day: 87.7%
Week: 79.2%
Month: 64.4%

Not much else to say at the moment, I need to spend more time studying and less time writing these log entries :lol:

Portuguese
I've been watching BBB with my wife, that's about it.
3 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Postby CDR » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:56 am

I am very behind on studying 71h+ hours this month to beat my all time best. At the very least, my Anki work continues.

All the hours in front of the computer caught up with me, my elbows started with a burning pain day a few days ago and hasn't stopped. Seems like I got x2 tennis elbow without playing a single game of tennis. This is the formal end to my goal of posting everyday. I can kind of use voice typing on my mobile phone to do most of the hard work typing for me and then come back and do a little bit of editing but not too sure how much of that I should be doing.

That being said, it will still be a long post :lol:

I work 12 hour shifts on the computer, so now I am trying to not use a computer or smartphone when I am not working, I normally do my Anki reviews with a USB foot pedal anyways. I've also tried watching live news again on YouTube as well (since I can keep my elbows static). I remember watching FNN in 2022 when I first started studying, it was mostly white noise, my understanding only came from the moving pictures. Now, a surprising amount of understanding comes from the Japanese :lol:

Although, with sentences like this, no wonder I understand:

タイムセールのソーセージをゲット

Dogen made a joke about the future of Japanese being just english loan words. Maybe the future is here.

I read through Gabriel Wyner's Fluent Forever since I can footpedal through ebooks.

I recall using his picture only flashcard method for concrete nouns in Portuguese a very long time ago. I don't think I actually read the book though, because I do not recall anything else from the system. It's an interesting system but I recall that the image finding gets tedious. Considering how many Japanese words I've learned from flashcards I didn't make myself, I am not too worried about it.

That being said I do understand and appreciate the system a bit more. It's one thing to say that images are better because you don't need translation, but the argument he makes in the book is that the act of searching for an image for your flash card creates a memory with the word, and that this connection between the word and your action improves your memory of the word, compared to a flashcard you had no role in making.

He talks a lot about memory and how we need to convince our brain that random foreign words are important to remember, and the different levels of memory. I thought that was quite interesting and it's quite novel to me.

I can see how it works because for example just the process of relating a kanji in a flashcard to its reading, then looking at the different flashcards and making the comparison has been a big boost to my memory. "This kanji appears in these two flashcards and has the same reading but with this card over here the reading is different." Doing that makes the words way easier to remember (it also doesn't require more flashcards)

So I can see how having the image or personal connection, or whatever enriches the process. I think it might be interesting for words that I'm really struggling with to try throwing in an image, personal connection, or something else.

While the system actually recommends flashcard types that are identical for every word, he mentioned that if you're having a hard time with a word like goat, you could make cards like:

What noise do goats make?
What do goats eat?

and etc. I thought this was quite interesting, because you are learning other words along the way. This doesn't make it into his system, I imagine because then you need a custom Anki card for every word and that would not scale.

The Japanese word for baseball has been a leech for me since 2022, it always gets suspended in Anki. These kinds of question cards might be enough to help me finally remember, while learning new words at the same time.
9 x

CDR
Orange Belt

Postby CDR » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:36 am

I thought I would post about baby's first time using Substudy, since @Emk has been making a lot of improvements to the tool. Once Emk added the ability to export directly to Anki using AnkiConnect, I knew it was time to give it a try!

Didn't have any issues downloading it and running it, I am on Linux. Took a few tries for OpenAI's API to actually work, got a few errors about how the account hit a rate limit, the actual issue was that I hadn't loaded money before hand :lol:. I put in $10 CAD.

The first song I tried it with, in Portuguese, it came out blank. I tried a different song and it kind of worked, but not as nicely as Emk's did, a lot more errors. I uploaded it to Anki using Substudy and tried it out, it was just okay, lots of poor alignment on the lyrics that I had been too lazy to fix.

I tried another song, and this time I used a subtitle editing program to fix any issues before hand. It took me a bit, but still, I would have never bothered doing this if Substudy hadn't done the majority of heavy lifting. This made a huge difference when it came to actually studying the cards.

For the first two, I used mp3s, but then I had to make a video file from the mp3 file for the anki part (I used ffmpeg), so I just downloaded the music video for the third one out of laziness.

Image Image

I also tried with Japanese, I tried a few different songs, but Whisper wasn't able to transcribe them as they all came out blank, or only a few lines. I tried downloading a YouTube video with intentionally made subtitles:

The subtitles came in a non-srt format (vtt), I converted them using ffmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -i input.vtt -vn -an -scodec srt output.srt

Then I used Substudy to translate the subtitles and put into Anki. This worked well, but I want to try a video without subtitles in Japanese in the future, I think it should be able to transcribe non-music.

All this cost me $0.20!

I've only been using the cards for two days now, so a bit early to give my thoughts on the earworm method :lol:.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:10 pm

CDR wrote:I thought I would post about baby's first time using Substudy, since @Emk has been making a lot of improvements to the tool. Once Emk added the ability to export directly to Anki using AnkiConnect, I knew it was time to give it a try!

Thank you for trying it! Thank you very much for your feedback; it helps a lot. I will be following your log very closely, so please don't hesitate to mention any problems.

CDR wrote:The first song I tried it with, in Portuguese, it came out blank. I tried a different song and it kind of worked, but not as nicely as Emk's did, a lot more errors. I uploaded it to Anki using Substudy and tried it out, it was just okay, lots of poor alignment on the lyrics that I had been too lazy to fix.

I tried another song, and this time I used a subtitle editing program to fix any issues before hand. It took me a bit, but still, I would have never bothered doing this if Substudy hadn't done the majority of heavy lifting. This made a huge difference when it came to actually studying the cards.

If substudy is failing on any songs in Portuguese or Japanese, please let me know the singer and the song title. I might be interested in doing a little MP3 shopping and checking a few of them out myself!

For Portuguese, I want to dig into the poor alignment. I know that Whisper supports a handful of major languages very well, but I want to see what's actually happening in Portuguese. As for Japanese, I suspect the problem may be really simple: Japanese usually doesn't put spaces between words. Substudy is doing a lot of postprocessing to improve subtitle timing, and parts of that are looking for spaces. :? So it probably just fails outright for any language without spaces.

The good news is that I have the option of disabling my postprocessing code, and just asking Whisper for SRT subtitles directly. I don't know how tightly it times subtitles, but it's surely going to work better for Japanese than what I'm trying now.

CDR wrote:Then I used Substudy to translate the subtitles and put into Anki. This worked well, but I want to try a video without subtitles in Japanese in the future, I think it should be able to transcribe non-music.

Ah, good, I'm happy to hear translation is working for Japanese!

CDR wrote:I've only been using the cards for two days now, so a bit early to give my thoughts on the earworm method :lol:.

Oh, no, I've created a "method"! :shock: :lol: Nothing that I am doing here should be conisdered anything as responsible and grown up as a "method".

If this approach is working at all for you, here's what I'd expect:

• When your cards are about a week old, you should be hearing many of them better and feeling like you're getting something out this exercise.
  • When your cards start to "mature" in Anki (30-40 days old), then a lot of the more difficult listening cards should feel easy now. This is a lot like my advice for Assimil—if you're not sure it's working, look back 30 lessons.
  • If you're starting a language from scratch, which Sprachprofi and I have done, then things seem to start coming together around 1,000-1,500 cards from a single very easy show, plus 30-60 hours of Anki reviews, a big chunk of them to "maturity." At this point, you might be able to "follow along" with 30-40% of easy dialog in new episodes, if you already know the plot. If nothing else, it's a neat party trick. But weirdly, it barely seems to fade at all—I completely neglected Spanish for over half a decade, and my Avatar comprehension has come back quickly.
Your mileage may vary, as we used to say in US. Results may not be typical. If this doesn't work for you, you may be entitled to a full refund of $0 on substudy. :lol: But not your OpenAPI fees!

CDR wrote:He talks a lot about memory and how we need to convince our brain that random foreign words are important to remember, and the different levels of memory. I thought that was quite interesting and it's quite novel to me.

I think Gabriel Wyner has a lot of really interesting ideas.

As I've studied languages, I've come to the conclusion that (1) the brain is quite good at learning languages, even as an adult, but (2) learning a language is a huge "cognitive investment", so (3) your brain will happily avoid making that investment if it doesn't see any returns. This is why raising kids in bilingual environments works reasonably well until they go to kindergarten, at which point they'll focus 99% of their efforts on the language spoken on the playground. Kids are brilliant language learners for languages they need. One of the major reasons adults appear bad at learning languages is that we often have the skills and money to avoid getting put into a situation where we have no choice but to learn (or we can't afford it, if we want to eat).

One of the things that I realized when I restarted my Spanish was that I had already found tons of cool things to do in Spanish. Like, I'm always delighted to watch Avatar again, and I want to sing along to every Mägo de Oz song ever, and I have these great playlists, and a stack of DVDs, and wouldn't it be fun to read the Dresden Files in Spanish, and Blacksad is so cool, and... !

You get the idea. I'm basically convincing my brain that Spanish is full so so many awesome things to do. With French, I also tried the slightly more ruthless experiment of doing everything in French for a few months. This convinced my brain that if I was going to be able to talk, I had to get good quickly.

I do think that Anki cards you make yourself are usually better than random shared decks. With substudy, my goal has been slightly different, which is to make cards that tie into interesting media, or that are part of an interesting story, or that I can eventually sing along to. The plot and the emotion help. And I find the cards just plain fun to review.

CDR wrote:The Japanese word for baseball has been a leech for me since 2022, it always gets suspended in Anki.

I would like to make a radical suggestion. What if you didn't learn the Japanese word for baseball? :lol: Just let it go, and wait for it to come back someday in the context of a movie, or a book, or an interesting news story? Or if you're really determined to conquer this word, watch some some Japanese baseball?

This is why I set my leech threshold super low for substudy cards, and I suspend them so aggressively. If something is proving difficult to learn, I let it go and wait for it to come back in a better context. Cards are so cheap to make, given the right tools.

And once again, thank you very much for your feedback!
3 x

Return to “Language logs”