Jeffers- SC 2022-23 - French, German, Hindi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Re: Jeffers- SC 2022-23 - French, German, Hindi

Postby badger » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:17 pm

jeffers wrote:I would rather take a lower qualification and ace it than barely pass a higher level.

I'm very much in the latter camp - good enough is good enough. ;)

Streak 1 : La calculatrice nous a-t-elle rendus stupides ?
Aujourd’hui c’est la première fois que j’écris un « writestreak ». Je suis apprenant de français ...

"J'apprends ... " or "Je suis en train d'apprendre ... " - you can't translate "I am learning" word for word.
3 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:08 pm

Thanks for the WriteStreak link. I'm trash at writing so this may help.
jeffers wrote:I used Google translate to figure out how to say "do calculations" and "the calculator makes them stupid". I wrote on Word for the French spelling corrections, but I think I got all the spellings correct by myself anyway. Tell me if I'm wrong about that!
Do you know Bon Patron? If not, you might give it a try while you're waiting for a human to reply. It's fairly decent at correcting spelling and grammar mistakes. (However, they have tons of really annoying ads, so beware of that.) I used Busuu for a while and their method is to have native speakers make the corrections. I could only judge the English ones which, for the most part, weren't very good. Unless the êtres humains are language teachers, I don't have a lot of faith in their corrections. Although, maybe French natives are better. :)
2 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:22 pm

badger wrote:
Streak 1 : La calculatrice nous a-t-elle rendus stupides ?
Aujourd’hui c’est la première fois que j’écris un « writestreak ». Je suis apprenant de français ...

"J'apprends ... " or "Je suis en train d'apprendre ... " - you can't translate "I am learning" word for word.

I was using the noun for learner, "apprenant", but I realize now that I left the article off: Je suis un apprenant de français. I would actually normally go for "J'apprends" but the word "apprenant" was used several times in the instructions post for writestreak, so I figured I would give it a go.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:45 pm

jeffers wrote:I was using the noun for learner, "apprenant", but I realize now that I left the article off: Je suis un apprenant de français. I would actually normally go for "J'apprends" but the word "apprenant" was used several times in the instructions post for writestreak, so I figured I would give it a go.

fair enough - I did wonder why you'd followed it with de, but that makes sense now. :)
2 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)

Postby jeffers » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:39 pm

I've been keeping up with my writestreak now for 3 days! A new world record for me!! :lol: Today I decided that I should mostly use DELF style exercises for my writing for now instead of the suggested topics for the day.

My second writestreak attempt yesterday was rather short, but I was just making a point of sticking with the daily habit. I used the suggested topic, imperfection:
Streak 2 : Imperfection
Je suis plutôt d'accord avec la citation. Je suis un homme qui a beaucoup d'imperfections, du moins c'est ce que dit ma femme ! Alors j'espère que des imperfections me rend plus intéressant.

For my third writestreak I decided to use the first exercise from the production écrite section of my DELF workbook. The instructions ask for 60 to 80 words, but I wrote more like 150. From what I understand it is okay to go over the word limit, and you will only lose points for being under the minimum count. The instructions followed were:
Vous avez fait un stage « Découverte d’une région » de 8 jours en France. Vous racontez votre semaine (lieu, dates, activités, visites) sur votre blog pour vos amis francophones. Vous donnez vos impressions sur cette expérience. (60 à 80 mots).

I have been to Marseille and really loved my visit, so I decided to write about that. One note is that, although I saw the archaelogical remains from the footpath, I never went into the museum park to see them first hand because I did not know what they were. I now know from reading Lorant Deutsch that they are the remains of an ancient Greek port from the 6th century BC, but were actually only discovered in 1967! My imaginary text follows:
Un message imaginaire, d’après une consigne dans mon cahier d’examen pour le DELF A2.

Bonjour mes amis !
Je viens de faire un stage extraordinaire au sud de la France qui s’appelle « Découverte de Marseille ». Le stage a eu lieu du 2 avril au 10 avril et nous sommes restés du vieux port. Le vieux port est très beau mais aussi trop touristique est les restaurants et bars y sont vachement chères. Un jour nous sommes allés au Musée d’histoire de la ville de Marseille, où se trouve les vestiges archéologiques de l’ancien port des grecques qui s’appelait « Massilia ». Il était tout à fait émouvant de marcher sur les mêmes pavés sur lequel les êtres humains ont marché 2500 ans auparavant ! Un autre jour on a visité la Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde. La route était très raide, mais la vue était magnifique ! En tout, l’expérience était inoubliable, et j’espère revenir à Marseille un jour.

One little phrase I struggled with was "took place". My immediate thought was to write « a été lieu », but trying out a couple phrases on Google Translate and a bit of internetting gave me alternate suggestions of « a eu lieu » and « s’est déroulé ». I suspect they're basically the same thing, but I went with the simple « a eu lieu ». Could anyone comment if one option is better than the others?

Also, the following is a list of errors I made which were corrected by Microsoft Word for me:
nous avons restés --> nous sommes restés
près de le vieux port --> près du vieux port
archaelogiques --> archéologiques
greques --> grecques
émouvante --> émouvant
les même --> les mêmes
ont marchés --> ont marché

Will I ever remember the rules for agreement with participles??? Just about the time I do nail the rules down, they will officially do away with them!
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:52 pm

jeffers wrote:One little phrase I struggled with was "took place". My immediate thought was to write « a été lieu », but trying out a couple phrases on Google Translate and a bit of internetting gave me alternate suggestions of « a eu lieu » and « s’est déroulé ». I suspect they're basically the same thing, but I went with the simple « a eu lieu ». Could anyone comment if one option is better than the others?
Barely fluent in French, but to me « s’est déroulé » sounds "Frenchier" than « a eu lieu ». :)
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:03 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
jeffers wrote:One little phrase I struggled with was "took place". My immediate thought was to write « a été lieu », but trying out a couple phrases on Google Translate and a bit of internetting gave me alternate suggestions of « a eu lieu » and « s’est déroulé ». I suspect they're basically the same thing, but I went with the simple « a eu lieu ». Could anyone comment if one option is better than the others?
Barely fluent in French, but to me « s’est déroulé » sounds "Frenchier" than « a eu lieu ». :)

I asked on Reddit, and basically « s’est déroulé » is used for a process whereas « a eu lieu » for an event. The poster said that although the stage would have taken place over a period of time, they felt like « a eu lieu » was more natural because I'm more interested in describing the event rather than the process. I suppose you could argue it both ways, but it will be good to have both forms of expression in my mental dictionary of usage. Also, by the way, « a été lieu » does not exist. :lol:
2 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:13 pm

I've just written my fourth writestreak, and I am quite happy with myself about this. I feel like now that I've started writing in French I've passed a sort of Rubicon. I have planned to do this for years and years, but there was always some sort of a mental block that it was just difficult and therefore good to avoid (fight or flight, right?) I remember in my early days of studying, the first time I listened through an audiobook, which was difficult, made it easier to listen through another one. And the first time I read an actual book, which was difficult, made it easier to read another one. There have been a few experiences like these, but I realize that writing is quite a crucial skill to help consolidate learning, besides the fact that I will need to do it for my test! In addition, for my mind I've always considered writing a gateway to speaking. Yes it's true that in fact I've spoken more words in actual French than I have written so far, but when I write I have more time to think and my idea is that it will help me iron out my forms of expression so that I will be more ready to use them in conversation. All theory so far, but finally I am putting it into practice! That is enough reason to be glad that I decided to take on the DELF exam.

So here's my fourth writestreakm from page 88 of my DELF workbook. The consigne is as follows:
Vous pratiquez un nouveau sport. Vous venez de faire votre preière séance et vous envoyez un mail à votre ami pour lui raconter comment cela s’est passé et pourquoi vous aimez pratiquer ce sport. (60 mots minimum).

And what I wrote (92 words). It's all BS because I don't do any sport except a lot of walking. I think that explains why I couldn't think of a good reason for why I liked it. It was tiring and it was fun. That's about it!
Streak 4 : Un nouveau sport (ex 2, p 88)
Salut Fabien !
Je viens de faire un nouveau sport cette après-midi. Oui, je sais, je fais du sport presque tous les jours, mais je voulais tenter quelque chose de différent. Alors, je me suis enregistré [inscrit] dans un club de judo et aujourd’hui j’ai eu ma première séance. Tu sais bien que je suis assez en forme, mais la session de judo était forte fatiguante. Néanmoins je l’aimais beaucoup parce que c’était tellement amusant. À partir de maintenant, je vais aller au club et pratiquer tous les jeudis.
À plus,
Jeff

EDIT: oops! I wrote "alor" instead of "alors". I fixed it now. I think I need to take the advice I give my students and read my work before submitting! :lol:
6 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:56 am

Quick update:

I am keeping up with my French writestreak, but I have decided not to keep cross-posting it here. I may do so if something interesting comes up, but otherwise it serves little purpose being in two places. I'm not there yet, but the daily writing task is definitely moving me past my writer's block in French, and I feel more ready to write when needed. So far I am completing one exercise from my 100% réussite book each day. I realize now that I can't just do each task type once, and move on. Once I finish with the workbook I will go back and do a fresh answer to some of the exercises. My hope is that I will become accustomed to the types of phrases I would need in any question of a similar type. There are a few types of questions on the A2 exam: the first question is described as creative writing, and it will ask me to describe a personal event, a holiday, a visit, a family occasion, a holiday, or something like that. The second question will involve answering something (an invitation, an email or letter, a petite annonce, etc), either accepting or explaining why I can't accept, and asking for more details about the thing. I think if I have made several attempts on my own to answer a wide variety of these types of questions, it should be pretty simple to answer whatever they ask on the day.

The tricky part for me will be things like the conventions for informal or formal letters, vs formal or informal emails, blog posts, etc. Looking up online "how to write a letter in French" and so on, there are so many possibilities for formal and informal greetings and closing statements. I have decided that I just need to pick one formal option which would be applicable in multiple situations (letter, email, internet, etc) and one informal option. For example, I got "Je vous envoie mes amicales pensées" from a website as an example of a formal closing option. A French speaker replied to the post that "La formule que tu as employée n'existe pas vraiment mais elle est envisageable dans un contexte où tu t'entends bien avec le ou la prof". In other words, he doesn't recognize the closing, but it sort of works. He suggested "Cordialement/Respectueusement", which I will bank away as two good options for a formal letter or email. For a formal greeting I will stick with "Cher Monsieur/Chère Madame" or for a person with a given title something like "Monsieur le Directeur", "Monsieur le Maire", etc. For an informal letter or message I think I'll go with "Salut [name]" or something like that. For closing an informal message I'll probably go with "À bientôt !" Simple is best for these openings and closings. I could see myself getting hung up on how exactly to start and wasting a lot of time! Which, of course, is something that happens in a petit Nicolas story. :lol:

Another new thing is that I have decided to tailor my reading and watching/listening to exam prep rather than simply things I enjoy... just for a while! So, for example I've found a bunch of podcasts and YouTube videos from "Learn to French" which are oriented towards helping with DELF. I've also bought a kindle copy of "Conversational French Dialogues". There are at least 3 books which have a similar title, but I just picked the one that had the most positive reviews. I intend to read and re-read the dialogues, and take note of some phrases which will be useful for the DELF. I might even make some flashcards, but I dunno.

I also started to look at GCSE French resources, since GCSE is approximately A2, and topics for the oral portion are similar to DELF topics. I have found a set of podcasts aimed at helping GCSE students pass the oral exam (https://learnfrenchwithlara.com/french-gcse-podcast/), which look like they will be good listening material for at least a few commutes.

Finally, I'm switching my main podcast choice from "Easy French" to "Paris oclock", which is definitely at more of an A2 level. When I start an episode I'm almost shocked at how slow she speaks! However, the topics are really interesting (mostly about culture and history), and the level of language is more appropriate for my exam prep. At this point, I'm better off hearing natural but slow French and understanding 100% of the words, than something at a more natural pace but which I miss a lot of little words here and there. In other words, I'm expecting the language in "Paris oclock" to be a sort of model for how I can speak on the oral portion of the DELF exam. I really would recommend "Paris oclock" to any learner as a first foray into 100% in French podcasts for learners.

EDIT: well that was longer than a "quick update" should be! :lol: :lol: :lol:
7 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:32 pm

nice quick update. :D

I really like this guy's stuff on YT. he doesn't have too much at A2 level, but I find his approach very methodical so you might find his B1 lessons of some use - he goes through the various possibilities of what you might get asked & there's a lot of commonality between the two levels:

Le French Club
2 x

Return to “Language logs”