Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby jeffers » Tue May 03, 2022 10:08 am

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:
Amandine wrote:Love Kwiziq. What I have been doing is, every one I get wrong going through that grammar lesson and writing it out in a separate notebook. One thing I love about Kwiziq is the grammar explanations are so compact, they really get to the point and there's no huge introductions you have to go through to get to the meat. The sample sentences are excellent too, more true to life than a lot of resources.

True, I wish I found it earlier. Concise and to the point. Also it is specifically designed for English-speakers in mind, so it is a lot easier to understand.

Writings things in a separate notebook is good - requires a lot of diligence.

Repetition really does work. Even without talent for languages (in my case), you are unlikely to repeat the same mistake more than twice.

I also write some things from Kwiziq lessons in a notebook. I found recently that when I didn't, I was repeating errors, but just the act of going through a lesson carefully enough to take notes on the key ideas, with a couple of sample sentences, makes a huge differences for the topics that I get wrong. I don't even necessarily look back at the notes. I think it's one of those things that saves more time than it takes.
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:20 am

jeffers wrote:
Amandine wrote:Love Kwiziq. What I have been doing is, every one I get wrong going through that grammar lesson and writing it out in a separate notebook. One thing I love about Kwiziq is the grammar explanations are so compact, they really get to the point and there's no huge introductions you have to go through to get to the meat. The sample sentences are excellent too, more true to life than a lot of resources.

True, I wish I found it earlier. Concise and to the point. Also it is specifically designed for English-speakers in mind, so it is a lot easier to understand.

Repetition really does work. Even without talent for languages (in my case), you are unlikely to repeat the same mistake more than twice.

I also write some things from Kwiziq lessons in a notebook. I found recently that when I didn't, I was repeating errors, but just the act of going through a lesson carefully enough to take notes on the key ideas, with a couple of sample sentences, makes a huge differences for the topics that I get wrong. I don't even necessarily look back at the notes. I think it's one of those things that saves more time than it takes.

Then you may be a kinesthetic learner (like me). There are 3 types: visual, auditory and kinesthetic. In essence, it's learning by seeing, learning by hearing, and learning by "doing", e.g. writing.

So far, I didn't notice that I repeat errors too often. I generally "get it" the first or second time max. If I find that I am doing the same errors repeatedly, I will go with the notebook approach.

For now, the biggest challenge is to actually push myself to do more. Nobody really supports me in this journey, so finding motivation from within is something that is of utmost importance.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue May 03, 2022 11:55 am

I could be interested in Macron - Le Pen debate, but I couldn't find the transcription of that debate online (if someone can help with that, would be really appreciated), without transcription it's difficult to understand.
Paris-Match have a partial transcript.

https://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Politiq ... es-1250123
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:03 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
I could be interested in Macron - Le Pen debate, but I couldn't find the transcription of that debate online (if someone can help with that, would be really appreciated), without transcription it's difficult to understand.
Paris-Match have a partial transcript.

https://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Politiq ... es-1250123

Thanks, does it have a corresponding video? The point is to listen and read the same thing, I guess.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 03, 2022 2:44 pm

jeffers wrote:

Then you may be a kinesthetic learner (like me). There are 3 types: visual, auditory and kinesthetic. In essence, it's learning by seeing, learning by hearing, and learning by "doing", e.g. writing.

So far, I didn't notice that I repeat errors too often. I generally "get it" the first or second time max. If I find that I am doing the same errors repeatedly, I will go with the notebook approach.

For now, the biggest challenge is to actually push myself to do more. Nobody really supports me in this journey, so finding motivation from within is something that is of utmost importance.

Oof, don't get me started about learning types. (Too late, it's been mentioned!) This is now a mostly debunked theory. I only say "mostly debunked" because I think I am among the very few teachers in the UK who thinks there is some value to the three types, but to say that someone is a "visual learner", etc, has to be given so many caveats that it largely becomes empty of meaning. What is dangerous about these learning preferences is that students were made to believe that they were one of the three types, and therefore they couldn't learn any other way. On the other hand, what is actually useful about the three types is that if you think about addressing them in teaching and learning you create variety, and variety is good for any learner. In the case of doing Kwiziq, just reading and doing the lessons (which could also be said to be kinaesthetic) is useful, but adding another way of working on the same thing (e.g. taking some notes) makes the learning more likely to stick. Unless the thing you're doing is so boring that you shut off... but that's a different discussion.
6 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:08 pm

jeffers wrote:
jeffers wrote:

Oof, don't get me started about learning types. (Too late, it's been mentioned!) This is now a mostly debunked theory. I only say "mostly debunked" because I think I am among the very few teachers in the UK who thinks there is some value to the three types, but to say that someone is a "visual learner", etc, has to be given so many caveats that it largely becomes empty of meaning. What is dangerous about these learning preferences is that students were made to believe that they were one of the three types, and therefore they couldn't learn any other way. On the other hand, what is actually useful about the three types is that if you think about addressing them in teaching and learning you create variety, and variety is good for any learner. In the case of doing Kwiziq, just reading and doing the lessons (which could also be said to be kinaesthetic) is useful, but adding another way of working on the same thing (e.g. taking some notes) makes the learning more likely to stick. Unless the thing you're doing is so boring that you shut off... but that's a different discussion.

In my case it was pretty consistent. The way i look at it is by measuring the speed/success ratio of equivalent amounts of time dedicated to each method. And this parameter for me would be the highest for K, second for V, and third for A.

It is not the same as saying that I can't learn by doing V or/and A, it's just the marginal utility of every minute/hour spent on K is the highest.
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Kwiziq all time activities: 117
Kwiziq A1 Achievement Score - 40.19%

+6.58% from yesterday.
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:03 pm

Kwiziq all time activities: 139
Kwiziq A1 Achievement Score - 50.00%

Alright, got my A1 Bronze Shield.
6 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:02 pm

Was feeling a bit down lately and didn't learn much. Picked up a few more activities and did a "dictation" exercise.

It was at A1 level and I scored 47/60. Although it was self scoring and I was pretty critical of myself, docking points liberally for small mistakes. Seems like a nice exercise that I could do more of.

It appears like those exercises are completely separate and are not accounted for in the "achievements" score.

Anyway, for now:

Kwiziq all time activities: 145
Kwiziq A1 Achievement Score - 51.62%
2 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun May 08, 2022 7:53 pm

Alright, a bit more of Kwiziq...

Kwiziq all time activities: 169
Kwiziq A1 Achievement Score - 60.37%
2 x

Return to “Language logs”