Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:10 am

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:For some reason, the subtitles don't translate the speech "word for word". They seem to omit phrases here and there.

I don't know if you watch things with subtitles in other languages, but this happens quite a lot. They omit stuff that isn't relevant or paraphrase because there's only so much time the subtitles can be on screen with the audio going, and it often takes longer to read than to process speech. So they can't often have subtitles be one-for-one with what's actually being said. Happens in English too.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 pm

In another topic (more than six years ago), I wrote:
The reason for that is the (average) reading speed vs. the number of characters per line. Translating everything (in a dialogue-rich program/movie) could result in a lot of text, typically more than the average viewer wants to read per second. So one has to compromise - cover as much of the content in a short time span. In countries with no subtitling tradition, there is this assumption that everything has to be translated - which in turn would result in the audience having to "chase" the subtitles (which is my very feeling when I watch something in Mandarin/Cantonese with English subtitles. Those are usually visible for less than a split-second - much faster than my comfortable reading speed :shock: ).
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:13 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:In another topic (more than six years ago), I wrote:
The reason for that is the (average) reading speed vs. the number of characters per line. Translating everything (in a dialogue-rich program/movie) could result in a lot of text, typically more than the average viewer wants to read per second. So one has to compromise - cover as much of the content in a short time span. In countries with no subtitling tradition, there is this assumption that everything has to be translated - which in turn would result in the audience having to "chase" the subtitles (which is my very feeling when I watch something in Mandarin/Cantonese with English subtitles. Those are usually visible for less than a split-second - much faster than my comfortable reading speed :shock: ).

Okay, this actually makes a lot of sense...

I would love to find the original screenplay though, with precise translation. Any leads, library perhaps? Or it's just not publicly available?
0 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:25 pm

I think the option for [CC] closed caption subtitles that Netflix and some other platforms have for French-origin shows are the closest you can get to word for word. In my experience, they drop a word here or there but its probably 95% the same and not different enough to be annoying. I just consider it an opportunity to notice when its a bit different, which is also a skill.
5 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:13 pm

Ok, yesterday I did Activity 13 in the book. Took me almost a month since Activity 12.

The first part was open-ended which is different to the usual multiple choice, the second part was multiple choice.

I did more or less OK but still with some basic errors.

The gap between my spoken and written comprehension continues to widen, as I regularly read news in French now...

Going at turtle pace but still going...
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:14 pm

Amandine wrote:I think the option for [CC] closed caption subtitles that Netflix and some other platforms have for French-origin shows are the closest you can get to word for word. In my experience, they drop a word here or there but its probably 95% the same and not different enough to be annoying. I just consider it an opportunity to notice when its a bit different, which is also a skill.

Yep, that's right. I was trying to find CC or at least written scripts for the Oscar-winning movies in French, didn't succeed.
0 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:45 am

Recently my mental capacity was so overloaded with the current issues that I had almost no time on French.

I do sometimes read and translate articles on the go but that's about it.

No progress made on the DELF book.

With Kwiziq, I am now at 24.42%.
3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:23 am

I hope things get better soon and that you can get back into French quickly!
2 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:37 am

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Oral comprehension remains a challenge, I normally pick up just individual words and phrases and rarely understand entire sentences.

Apologies for responding to an old post, but I have recently noticed that Learn French with Alexa on YouTube has several videos designed to help with oral comprehension. There will be an ordinary spoken dialogue, then she will begin to break it down. I've watched 3 or 4 of them, and although I'm at the point that I understood 95% of what was spoken, I found them interesting and wish I had known about them sooner.

Here's a link to one of them:
https://youtu.be/WDOzlQOYxaY
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the responses.

Pushed my Kwiziq now to 27.83%, did a few tests. Most were 8/10 or 9/10 but the last 2 were particularly bad with only 6/10 and 5/10.

A lot of subtle exceptions and unusual structures that are difficult to memorize.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”