Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue May 10, 2022 3:59 pm

My personal thoughts is that it'd be best to move on to A2 at that point, if it's not raising super quickly, and maybe focus individually on lessons by adding them to your notebook and slowly getting then up to 100% for each individual lesson.
3 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 pm

This looks like when you're shaving, and one side is nice and clean but the rest is still untended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Wed May 11, 2022 2:57 am

being a bit of a cartophile, I'm quite tempted to sign up for kwiziq just for the map. I haven't quite figured out the colours though - does red mean you've done a test & got low marks & then it goes yellow then green as you improve?
1 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed May 11, 2022 2:34 pm

I like the way you're using your log for your Kwiziq notes, surely it will help you a lot! As you have noticed, when there are spelling changes from the normal pattern, it is normally logical. If you pay attention to the way the sound is changing, then the spelling makes sense.

One other possible suggestion, which may help you with tricky verbs. I use Linguno (which is currently in beta and free) to drill forms that I missed during a Kwiziq session. I make a custom set, normally titled by the date and "Kwiziq", and then do some drills for a bit. For example, today I had a new lessons with -dre verbs in the present and one with the same verbs in the passé composé. I realized I didn't know them very well, so I took notes from the Kwiziq lesson, and then immediately made a set on Linguno and did a few practice drills. Kwiziq is great, but the one weakness is there is no option to drill a single topic again and again. I find Linguno makes up for this weakness quite nicely, if only for verbs.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:39 pm

badger wrote:being a bit of a cartophile, I'm quite tempted to sign up for kwiziq just for the map. I haven't quite figured out the colours though - does red mean you've done a test & got low marks & then it goes yellow then green as you improve?

yes, pretty much. Red means you tried it but you're really bad at it. Possibly, not only you don't know the correct way but you learned it incorrectly somehow and need to "unlearn".

As you go along and correct your mistakes, it gets greener.

Grays are untested.

This was a massive reality check for me, so many basic mistakes. It fills the gaps nicely. For example, I never bothered about the accents, for example Duolingo would typically accept "e" for any variation but here you actually need to put everything properly (use Alt keys, if needed).

Although I wouldn't take that map as a Holy Grail. There are many (conflicting) indications of language fluency. I am anywhere between A1 - B2, depending on who you ask.

What I really liked about this product is the instant gratification (similar to Duolingo). You get results of your work very quickly. As you can see from the log, it only took me about 10 days to finish the entire A1, while working full-time.

So, you can probably finish A1/A2/B1 in a month, with enough motivation.
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:48 pm

jeffers wrote:I like the way you're using your log for your Kwiziq notes, surely it will help you a lot! As you have noticed, when there are spelling changes from the normal pattern, it is normally logical. If you pay attention to the way the sound is changing, then the spelling makes sense.

One other possible suggestion, which may help you with tricky verbs. I use Linguno (which is currently in beta and free) to drill forms that I missed during a Kwiziq session. I make a custom set, normally titled by the date and "Kwiziq", and then do some drills for a bit. For example, today I had a new lessons with -dre verbs in the present and one with the same verbs in the passé composé. I realized I didn't know them very well, so I took notes from the Kwiziq lesson, and then immediately made a set on Linguno and did a few practice drills. Kwiziq is great, but the one weakness is there is no option to drill a single topic again and again. I find Linguno makes up for this weakness quite nicely, if only for verbs.

Nice, thank you. May give it a go. I was actually supposed to go through the book which I kind of neglected in favour of Kwiziq. The goal is still to pass the DELF B1 exam specifically.

Amandine will take the exam next week, really want to speak to her afterwards.
0 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:53 pm

a meme is worth a thousand words, famous saying

meme1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Thu May 12, 2022 2:50 am

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:yes, pretty much. Red means you tried it but you're really bad at it. Possibly, not only you don't know the correct way but you learned it incorrectly somehow and need to "unlearn".

What I really liked about this product is the instant gratification (similar to Duolingo). You get results of your work very quickly. As you can see from the log, it only took me about 10 days to finish the entire A1, while working full-time.

thanks. yes, it gamifies it quite nicely - mieux qu'une petite chouette verte quand même - & it's based on Lawless French, which I think is excellent for grammar.

I may well buy a month & see how I get on - it's only the price of an hour's italki - & I don't mind having my dopamine system hijacked by the gamification if it motivates me to study. ;)

here's my map at the moment fwiw:
kwiziq-11-05-2022.PNG

your meme made me laugh. :)
3 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:26 am

badger wrote:
LanguageLearner0007 wrote:yes, pretty much. Red means you tried it but you're really bad at it. Possibly, not only you don't know the correct way but you learned it incorrectly somehow and need to "unlearn".

thanks. yes, it gamifies it quite nicely - mieux qu'une petite chouette verte quand même - & it's based on Lawless French, which I think is excellent for grammar.

I may well buy a month & see how I get on - it's only the price of an hour's italki - & I don't mind having my dopamine system hijacked by the gamification if it motivates me to study. ;)

here's my map at the moment fwiw:
kwiziq-11-05-2022.PNG

your meme made me laugh. :)

Out of interest, how long have you been studying French? This is quite an impressive level, far more solid than mine.

Did you take the initial test, do you have a table with scores? (this was the first Kwiziq thing I posted on the log)
0 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Out of interest, how long have you been studying French? This is quite an impressive level, far more solid than mine.

Did you take the initial test, do you have a table with scores? (this was the first Kwiziq thing I posted on the log)

I did French up to GCSE 30 years ago & I started again ~3 years ago, but it's been rather off & on (I did virtually nothing over the winter), so the map's not really that impressive. saying that, I've only done a handful of the freebie tests, so it's also not really representative - I would expect to be able to green up B1 & a fair amount of B2 in pretty short order if I had some more tests to play with. the same thing goes for the table with scores I should think.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”